Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Our Tree

Years ago, when I was traveling and working, I interviewed a witness at his collision shop that was situated across from a beautiful lake. I commented to him about his beautiful vista outside his front window and he pointed out a tree growing near the shoreline. He said that he had planted this tree and placed his father's ashes there and so now he had daily "conversations" with him. I carried that wonderful thought with me for a long time. When Carol and I married we combined two families of girls, two of them in their young teens. This led to many stressful days of "refereeing" the disputes that arose. Carol and I took almost daily drives through Kensington Metro Park near Brighton, MI just to settle the nerves and talk out the day's events. This is a very beautiful, treed and laked park with many deer and much other wildlife. We talked about the tree idea and decided to plant one in Kensington before one of us died so that we could enjoy it and the children could enjoy it before it became a "memorial tree." We purchased a strappling and planted it on the top of the highest point in Kensington Park, overlooking miles and miles of trees and lakes. We had many a picnic at "Our Tree" with a Subway sandwich or a pizza over the years. Our children and their children, our grandchildren, now enjoy our tree and know that it will be the final resting spot for our ashes. At night, the lights of Ann Arbor, MI can be seen 25 miles or so to the south. The young tree is finally starting to grow and mature. The colors in the fall are brilliant and we didn't get to photograph it this year until yesterday when it was raining and drab out but warm and inviting to us.

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is a great story, and a very heartwarming idea.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
This is indeed a great story and the tree is beautiful.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Beautiful tree and a great story.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We celebrate life and when we go to a cemetery it seems like we are thinking of death, not the wonderful life that preceded it. We are hoping that, in this way, our family and friends will continue the celebration.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Great story, with meaning to me.
I plant trees wherever I am. When I revisit places I am able to see the tree(s) and think how great they look. I also get an inside smile thinking how many people will appreciate the tree(s) (especially the fruit trees) over many years.
I guess it's my secret contribution to the future.
I did bury one of our yellow labs and then plant an evergreen over her grave as a "memorial."
Giving a good start to something as majestic or fruitful as a tree is a great feeling to me.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
What a great idea and a wonderful story. I need to go find me a tree
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Super idea, great story. There are just so many places I would want to plant that special tree!

Thanks for the great idea!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote