Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Squatting TV

Hi, well, we're on the road again, heading to South Carolina. We finally got around to weighing our rig and everything is well within limits, but we still have a concern/question. Even being under our weight limits on all axels, our TV still seems to squat some under the load. Does anyone have any suggestion(s) as to a way to address this issue or is this normal? We have a Big Sky 340, a Ford 350, Dually, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4 wheel drive, with extra fuel tank and shallow tool box. Are there any "helper" springs or anything like that we could add to help our truck? Thanks for sharing your collective knowledge and experience. Verle and Sue Castle

Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Firestone ride rite air bags would take care of that, it would help the ride when hooked up. go to summit racing, as they have best price
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
All trucks except the MDTs will have a little squat and IMHO the best way to eliminate squat is the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags.
These bags can be inflated when hauling and deflated to 5 PSI when not hauling thus giving you a more comfortable ride. I have them and I love them.
You could also add helper springs but those helper springs and such are still there when not towing thus giving a harsher ride.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ours squatted until we had the airbags installed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Another vote for the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. I have the air bags with the dual air controller in the cab.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
How much squat?? our 08 350 even with the camper package will settle just short of 2 inches when the 3400 is on it. I mean we are putting some heavy pin weight on the rear axle..it has got to settle some???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just a suggestion, you might look at a set of Timbrens. Very easy install and you don't ever have to worry about air leaks. I have a very heavy pin weight and don't have very little squat. Did have a squat with the 2500 SRW and the pin weigh was less. I installed the Timbrens and elimanated the squat. Depending on the size of the extra fuel tank thats were you getting the extra weight from. If you have a front mounted Generator that would be more pin weight. What was your pin weight... Good luck with your choice... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:32 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I'm for air bags, best alround ride
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Another option to the Firestones are the Air Lift brand that CW sells. I went with these with the in cab controller and on board compressor. Seems you can always find a CW to work on them if necessary. I haven't pulled with them yet so I can't attest to the ride. They have the new set and forget controller. Spendy, but isn't everything in the RV world????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had the air bags on my 06 Ford truck, they were super, I think I will go with the Timbrens on this one, easier install, less 'fiddling' with the air, and a passive system, not in use until you load the truck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #11
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
My "old" TV would squat. It would go from a nice slope, to level, to squat. I added air bags. This new TV seems as if it doesn't move than an inch. No air bags yet, but I'm considering adding them so I have them when needed.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Hi, Thanks for all the great and speedy replies. The squat is not horrible, just noticable. Yes, I forgot, we do have the front generator, also. Our weights are as follows: Truck alone, total 9940, front axle 5460, back axle 4480 (both fuel tanks full, both of us in it). Weights with the trailer: Total 12,640, Front truck axle 5440, back truck axle 7460, and Big Sky Axle weight 12,640 and the total truck and trailer came out at 25,540. This is with empty grey and black water tanks, and about 1/2 full fresh water tank. At least we now know of some options to research on the internet. Thanks, again. We've been heading South East for 2 days now and have only seen ONE Montana (they didn't flash us back, LOL). Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Verle and Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Verle, I didn't catch what year F350 DRW you have. But my '06 squatted almost 5 inches with the Monty hooked up and loaded for a long weekend. I complained to the dealer that my last F350 SRW only squatted 2 inches with the same trailer. I was told Ford changed the springs to be more of a progressive type but still have the same weight capacity. Upon arguing with the dealer about purchasing a DRW to hold up the extra tongue weight of the 3685FL I was told to go to a suspension shop in Omaha and Ford would pick up the bill to have another leaf or two added to hold up the weight. I had one extra leaf added that was rated at 2200 pounds per pair and have been very happy since. Sure it stiffened up the overall ride empty a little bit. But hey if I wanted a smooth ride I would by a fold down camper and a half ton p-up. I suggest talking to your dealer if you have a '06 and see if Ford will foot the bill for some extra springs.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Although I don't have them yet, I am looking quite seriously at the Firestone air-bags. When I hook my unit up it moves my headlights up so much that 'I qualify for a spotter of low flying aircraft' ; I need to bring them back down so as not to blind on-coming drivers. So, adding air-bags will not only help your own ride but make it safer for others on the road (at least in my opinion).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We don't tow much at night for the aiming of the headlights to be an issue, but can tell you we just put air bags on our unit and had our first pull. I spent most of the ride trying to figure if it was making a difference...well...the reason I had a hard time finding the issue was because it wasn't there anymore...
Me being the type that likes to be in control of my surroundings...will be adding in cab controls for the air bags now that I see I love them...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Here is a link for helper springs, We have the 5,000 pound helper springs. Our back of the bed is 2 inches higher when not hooked up and hooked up, it is one inch higher than the front of the bed. Used a level to be sure.
Works great and not too much trouble to install. You can do it.

[urlhttp://www.loadandtow.com/][/url]
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
linky no worky Dusty...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Just copy and paste in your brouser
.... Loadandtow.com

no spaces. Then click on super springs Then catalog buy and different brands of trucks are listed there.

The link above works now.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Just a 2 inch squat can make Low Beam seem like High Beam to any on coming driver. I avoid night driving with the rig attached but there are times where it is just unavoidable. Also, when running with your headlights on in the rain, which you are required to do by law in most every state, your lights can still bother any on coming drivers.

My Firestone's have now been on over 2 years and I have yet to find a leak. I check them regularly and have yet to add any air.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote