Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2007, 05:57 AM   #21
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Old Turbo is 100% correct, it happened to me. The previous owner of my truck had a chip installed and removed it before trading it in and me buying it. I didn't know about it. My trans went and after a whole bunch of cr--, they replaced the trans after I agreed to replace the computer and that the dealership would split that cost with me. I know all about the little computer the factory dude brings with him/her before authorizing higher factory warranty work.

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #22
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
I have a similar rig as you. 2006 Silverado EC Allison/Duramax pulling 2007 3650RK loaded including washer/dyer combo, front A/C, etc. I went with the EDGE downloader. In June we did a run from Gettysburg, PA to Key West to Ft. Myers to Natural Bridge VA and back to Gettysburg. Total miles were 3380. I experimented with the downloader while on the road. With it in the towing program, trans in towing mode and running the speed limit whether 50mph or 75 mph on cruise I averaged 11.59 mpg. With the economy program, trans in tow mode, mpg dropped to 9.81. Also noticed harsh shift patterns with economy program while towing. I could go with more data but I won’t. I am now certain I made a good decision adding the downloader. But I also add 4” exhaust and cool air intake system. I’m sure those things affect the performance and mileage as well.
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #23
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
If I can't pull my Monty, with the Diesel I got. SHAME ON ME.. That one mile to the gallon increase doesn't compensate for a WARRANTY. Beside, if I was that concerned about 2 - 3 miles per gallon increase I would stop towing, now 20 MPG difference then you talking a different story. Mustang92 It's your 7.3, you do what you feel comfortable with. safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #24
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Well said John. If I can't tow with what the TV I have then the Montie's too big for me.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #25
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
There have been many posts on sites like Diesel Stop (ford) and others. The big 3 have all experienced way to many warranty claims because of programmers. In the past many dealers were able to take care of their customers and turn their heads if they wanted to. Things have changed. Today all of them will cancel your warranty in a heartbeat if they discover evidence that a programmer has been used on your vehicle. The factory rep can access areas of you computer your dealer can't touch. They will discover the footprint left behind even though the program has been removed. There is another issue here that most ignore. When you modify a vehicle and damage it due to your modification, it really isn't the car manufacturers responsibility to fix the mess you made. It is wrong, very wrong to lie about it and claim you haven't run a programmer and therefore they should fix it under warranty. If these companies run very high warranty claims due to these types of failures, who do you think will ultimately have to pay for it? Us the consumer next time you buy a truck. Is it fair to the guy who runs an absolutely stock truck to be penalized for your dishonesty?
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #26
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
The best way to get better fuel milage on a diesel is more air in, and better exhaust flow out. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Wow, did I unleash something akin to asking about weight limits! Great feedback, that's why I love this site and why I asked the question. Some great points were made and I've decided against using a downloader. Doesn't seem to be worth the risk, and I don't seem to find anyone who can support a 4-8 mpg increase as a local retailer claimed.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #28
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
You can program it, chip it, download it, bigger exhaust, larger air filter but the best way to improve fuel mileage is to take your foot out of the firewall!!!!
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #29
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
"When you modify a vehicle and damage it due to your modification, it really isn't the car manufacturers responsibility to fix the mess you made. It is wrong, very wrong to lie about it and claim you haven't run a programmer and therefore they should fix it under warranty."

The key to the statement above is if the "damage is due to your modification". If they refuse warranty work without a positive connection (proof), then they can't refuse to pay. So even if they can extract info from the computer, there would have to be a direct correlation to the problem.

I had a microtuner chip on my 99 Ford and I loved it - about 1 mpg better mileage towing and 2 mpg solo, and a ton more HP and torque. But there is no way I would use it on my 2005 (yet) because it's still under warranty, and I don't want to chance it.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #30
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I agree with mallardjusted. I didn't touch my Dodge until the warranty was up. When the repairs are on me let the bombs begin.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote