Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 AM   #1
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
TV tire pressure ?

I have a 2500 Chevy Silverado diesel. Question. Why does is say to put 60# of air pressure in the front, and 80# air pressure in the rear tires. Personally, it would seem that if you're hauling weight in the the truck it would make sense to have more air pressure in the rear tires, but when empty, not so. Considering that the largest percentage of time the truck is empty it wouldn’t seem to make sense to have more pressure in the rear tires, and would actually cause center tire wear on the rear tires. However, every time I have the tires rotated I make it a point to have the air in the tires adjusted to meet the manufactures specs. Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't think you'll have any problem by lowering the rear pressure when not towing. On the other hand, I run 80 on the rears 90% of the time and have not had wear in the center. I merely don't know when I may want to latch onto the fiver and hit the road, and don't want to have to keep adjusting tire pressure. Only thing I have seen that suffers is smoothness of ride.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah, that, you know, what slick said.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
ME TOO, I know I can adjust to tire pressure down, when not towing for a nice cadillac ride. But I am TOO LAZY... I just keep them all up where they belong, so I can tow anytime I see the signal from Kotham City, (you know the BATMAN thing) with the Bat in the sky, Or when Robin Hood Call's for one of his merry men... I am ready.... Beside's keeping those rear duallies at equal pressure is my most important task. Oh for those with denture's A little more adheasive on those plastics will keep them solid, as you drive down that road. BRANSON IS GREAT IN 2008 see ya there John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Mine calls for 55# and 85#, the 85# is for maximun load. Almost always run 55# on all tires. Sure makes the truck ride better. I just air up when I'm ready to hit the road.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Dodge has a sticker on the door that carries inflation recommendations for both "lightly loaded" and "heavily loaded." The front tires are the same 60 psi on both loads. The rear is 45 for a light load and 75 for heavily loaded. But I run 80 in the rears when towing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is to hard to inflate a deflate the tires on the dually so I keep them the same the same all the time...I rides like a truck..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I run my rear tires at 80# cold. I was running my front tires at the same pressure until my last oil change when the Ford mechanic reduced them to 60# (the door post says 55#). I asked him why and he said for better handling. I reminded him of the lawsuit between Ford and Firestone and he agreed that if you run the tires at the max cold pressure you wouldn't be wrong. So, I got out my last RVSEF weight record and lo and behold: the weight on the front wheels was less when loaded with the Montana than when empty. So, I now keep my front tires at the reduced pressure (60#). Handling is better, ride is better both loaded and unloaded. Sometimes methinks I think too much.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote