Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Anybody ever make a throwing knife?

My little neighbor kid is pestering me to make him a throwing knife. I saw a couple of styles on the 'net, I guess I will have to make him a couple. I have plenty of steel plate, my handy dandy Plasma cutter, scroll saw, wood for a pattern, torch for heat treating, so I will putz around. I do have a pattern in mind, I Zoomed one I saw on knife throwers web site and printed it out.
Any tips? Patterns?
Thanks, Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sorry Ozz, can't help you there. I would be morbidly afraid of having such a thing in the Monty. At the stick-house, I could move fast and duck into another room to avoid air-borne knife missiles launced by DW. In the Monty, I would have to rely on ducking very quickly since in the 3400 it is a direct shot from the kitchen area to the recliners, (don't know if I can duck quick enough or not). Just kidding, but regardless, if DW reads this post, I have probably just demoted myself off of the "Good hubby" list. Good luck in your searches and responses.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey Bingo, get her one of those foam 'Bricks', I use one to throw at the TV when the K.C. Chief's play football........
So, you are in the recliner while she is in the kitchen making Nacho's; you can stay in the Man's club.
Ozz
Old 04-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Ozz, Can't help you on the pattern, but have a tip on the heat treat. Don't harden the whole blade and only case harden the tip. Otherwise it may chip or shatter. They don't need much of an edge and do need a good beveled point. The balance should be about half way down the blade instead of at the guard. On another point, check in with the kids folks about this. (My RV.net signature is Knife Maker)
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Bob I worked in a heat treating department at a defense plant for a year, and agree with you.
I was on the Internet and found a company that had sets of 3 5" knives and got one set for around $5.00, another set of 12" knives for $14.00 for my neighbor kid. I would use more electricity and acetylene than that!
His mom was the one who originally asked me, so I did clear it with her. Good idea.