Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Dodge 3500 SRW H/D Tire size

My 2005 dodge 2500 H/D ctd Q/C came with bf goodrich rugged trail t/a 265-70R17E. Does the 3500 SRW come with a bigger tire. I added the extra leaf to the spring pack and air bags. As I understand the 2500 and 3500 SRW in the H/D ctd brakes, frame, suspension, etc are identical and the only difference was the overload spring. Now I read about G rated and 18,19, and 20" tires that carry a heavier load. Are they worth considering, and do they confuse the odometer/speedometer system? My 348rls only weighs 10,250. I should have got the 3500. I'm just trying to make my 2500 as safe as I can. All info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless, Ray

ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ray: Various threads through the year(s) (and on this and other forums (RV.net for one) on this topic -- basically all say the same thing -- changing tires, springs, etc., does not change the placard on your door. If you are overweight, you are overweight and need to look at a bigger Tow vehicle. Now, that said, looking at the Goodyear website, it actually looks as if going to the bigger tires will decrease your weight carrying capability. As for the speedo - yes, larger tires will mess with it but your local dealer should be able to recalibrate it using their diagnostic tools. Another however, however, while doing a little researching on your question I ran into two other posts where upgraders stated that going to larger tires actually decreased their take-off power -- larger tires equated to a larger rear-end gear ratio -- one post stated 'much like going from 4:10s to 3:73 rear gears!'
In that particular post the poster commented about his high end cruise speed stayed the same (70 - 75mph) but his RPM decreased from 2000 to 1850 or so.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Skypilot, thanks for your reply and info. I have an additional question for you. If Dodge in 2005 built the 2500 and 3500SRW H/Ds on the same frame, same brakes,same axle, every part # the same with the exception of 1 leaf in the pack and the cab lights, and I in turn added the spring,which adds 1000 lb support, am I not just as safe as if I had bought the 3500srw? That tag on the door isn't going to make me less safe if all other parts are equal. The only thing that I failed to research was the tire size. I'm trying to find out if the 3500srw has the same tires as mine. I'm under on my GRAW and GCWR and wondering if I should get better tires than the stock tires. I realize that air bags only help you get level, but don't increase gvw support, that's why I added the leaf. Since adding the leaf I stay perfectly level w/o the air bags. I only keep 10psi in them to keep from damaging them. I tow and stop very well with this setup. What am I missing? Thanks and God Bless, Ray
Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Ray...don't know that you are missing anything. However, lots of good folks like to say the 2500 and the 3500 are the 'really' the same, however, if they were, the number on the door would be the same.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ray, it is correct that nothing changes the numbers on the placard, not a chip in the engine, not a bigger intake or exhaust, nor airbags on the suspension. In the latter case, what you are doing is enhancing the ability of the rear suspension to handle weight while keeping the truck level. You still have to consider all the other parts, such as tires, axle, etc. That said, many of us have done the same as you and had no problems over many miles. I've never heard of anyone having a problem but you still have to be aware you will be over the published numbers and decide for yourself whether to accept that risk. If you live in Canada, then you also have some laws to be concerned about.

My opinion is the airbags will take care of the suspension, within reason, but you need to check the ratings on tires and axle. My F250 has the same brand, model, and size tires your Dodge has. FYI, they are rated at 3195 lbs per tire at 80 psi.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
read the weight rating on your tires, then weigh the drive axle when loaded and compare, I'll bet you have 1500# to spare.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
On my 1999 3/4 dodge it came factory with 235/ tires when I picked up my truck the original owner changed them to 265/ Drove from MN to the Black Hills SD passing everything in sight averaging 19 MPG @ 78 MPH 2300RPM from Souix Falls to Rapid City. About a week later put my GPS on the dash and found out that 78 was actually 83 MPH. Wow Labor Day weekend work deadline to get back to and no ticket, the road Gods were with me that day. I went into the dealer in my town a couple of months later and had a crank sensor replaced, also recalibrating the speedometer for $22.50 extra. I believe that the bigger tires gave me better mileage (lower RPM's) and not for sure think they also had a higher payload rating. I also noticed my mileage got better with elevation change from the 4000 in SD to 675 here in TX. Something to consider when replacing your tires. More expensive tire wise but might be worth the fuel savings running in the long run. Do not believe I can change tire size unless I use a spacer between the duels but will consider when new tires are needed. The difference in towing was not noticeable on my 99 5 speed. Just not sure how the automatic will handle the change. Anyone having any info on this please throw it out here.....

I also had air bags on my 3/4 ton and it made a world of difference in how both the truck and 5er handled. The reason I went to the 1 ton was because of my personal comfort level hauling everything I own and the extra wieght of the bigger rig. IF you have a GPS might want to check the speedometer I believe that the tires you have larger than the factory tires it came with.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The 18" tires that come with the 05 and newer SRW F350s are rated at 3640 pounds.
My unit would overload tires rated at 3200 pounds. There really is not that much lee way and the only way to find out is to weigh your rear axle loaded up.

The weight adds up so fast and the only thing I have over some people is an auxilary tank which is about 300 pounds full. My hitch is lighter than many out there, I have maybe 20 pounds of tools in the back, my rubber mat is about 100 pounds, add 2600 pounds of pin weight and I am 6600 pounds on my rear axle. It is rated for 7000 pounds so I am OK but not by much.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 AM   #9
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Thanks everyone for the info. I now know that the Dodge 3500SRW has the same tire as my 2500 LT265-70R17E rated at 3195 @ 80psi. It's the F350SRW which has the bigger tires as well as the higher GVWR. I would assume a heavier suspension also. It's reassuring to hear SReigle had great success with the same tire I have on his truck towing a heavier fiver. I think I'll stick with what I have. God Bless, Ray
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ray: Since you asked -- on the SRW Dodge, the axle, brakes, everything is the same between the 2500 and the 3500 SRW except for that one single spring leaf. That said, my comments had to do with legal beagles and registrations -- realize I have a 3500DRW but since my combined weight (vehicle and trailer) is over 12K pounds, I had to register at 20K; more money to the state. If I kept it at 12K I would save 140 per year in fees but my insurance company (agent) told me that if I should ever get into an accident while pulling the 5er I could be found in excess of my registered weight -- could lead to problems down the road with insurance, etc... Didn't say I would, said I could. Told me that they went by what was on the door label as to Gross. I've read similar on other forums and in other posts.

Now all that said -- I'm looking at beefing up my 5er axles, wheels, etc. from 6K to 7K; not because I carry that much load but because I think they are too close to the limits. Give me a little extra cushion. I'm a believer in the glass is half empty scenarios -- in that vein - I think adding the extra leaf, heavier duty tires, etc., to your TV is a good thing. Nuff said on my part. Safe camping and hope to see you out there at the camp sites!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skypilot, OntMont recently started a new thread when he got some info on the difference between the 6000 and 7000 lb axles. It was very interesting. Might be something you'd want to look into.

Ray, to make you smile a little more about those BFG Rugged Trail T/A, I replace the original tires at 70,000 miles and they had 5k to 7k tread left. I went ahead and replaced them because we were in Kansas City, December's ice and snow were coming, and I wanted a bit more tread on the tires to handle the snow better. Those tires did so well I replaced them with exactly the same thing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
That's great to hear Steve. I have 39000 on mine. I thought about replacing them before my next trip, but the tire guy said I have 50% tread left. Thanks again, Ray