Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
3750 FL 42" Samsumg TV Powering Issues

Keystone obviously wanted this floorspace to be something special so they put a pretty high quality 42 Samsung in it which is an awesome TV, same as what I have at home. However, right on the power cord it says that it requires 10 AMPs and 125 Volts. In two of campgrounds we have been in, with 30 amp service, the power supply rendered the TV inoperable with the power supplied to the camper by the campground. We learned that when the red power light is blinking on the TV, and doesn't respond to the remote or come on, it is because it has gone into power saving mode and it will not operate until it has adequate power. It is a safety feature built into the TV. So here we are, in our beautiful coach, and we can not enjoy the living room because the TV won't operate.

So what I need is some advice, from my wiser and more experienced MOC friends, as to options to address this situation. The obvious is to avoid campgrounds without 50 amp service. But when I can't and have to go with 30 amp, what can be done? I believe there are some devices available that can be installed to protect from surges and to essentially store power in reserve to stabilize the power supplied to the camper, at 30 amps. What do you recommend

Thanks

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
One option is to power the TV off the 20 amp outlet off the pedestal. That is not a good deal but one option.
Another option is to us an inverter off a separate battery of course you would have to have a separate charger also.
Those are my two quick answers.

Edit-Dave and I was discussing this.

My second option could be covered with an APC (normally used for computers) we figured at least 1500 to 2000 watts unit just for the TV.

Power management of high current usage will help. Using propane on the frig if it is not already cold and the water heater when you first set up may help.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Snowhawk

10 amps seems pretty excessive to me for a television. My TV in the house draws only 1.7 amps. I just went into my unit, and looked at the back panel of my Samsung. It does not give an amperage use, but does give volts (120) and wattage (180). Using Ohm's Law, my Samsung is only drawing 1.5 amps. You may have another issue IMO.

When I am at the house I am plugged into a 20 amp service, and have never had a issue with the TV and frig on AC. With 30 amps, I would think you could run at least one of our A/C units as well.

Did this issue happen prior to installing your 2nd A/C?

Just curious.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
10 amps can't be right, I would re-check the data plate. But if you have had power problems, you do have a problem somewhere. It is good to know what every load pulls so you can do proper load management on the road.
Make a list of all your loads and add them up when setting up, 30 amps should be fine in most cases.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
10 amps means over 1200 watts, so you could use that as a heater for your rig. My 52 inch shows less than 300 watts, which is less than 2.5 amps.

I agree with snowhawk that there is something else going on, which could be anything from bad wiring to something else on the same circuit drawing too much power and causing the voltage to drop. If you've got low voltage, the Samsung's protection circuitry would keep it from coming on.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Thanks for your input and your ideas are good ones to combat the problem. Since my last post, the campground owner where I had the problem emailed me thinking that it was a bad breaker and there is no way this TV shouldn't have run properly.

Regarding the TV itself, right on the power cord is a sticker that says 125V and 10Amps so that is where I got my information from. Perhaps it is wrong information.

When I got home today I was able to plug into my house and it worked just fine. I believe a Hughes 50 amp auto former s in my future anyway.

Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
I think I would look at the power tag with a magnifier. I'll bet it reads 1.0 Amps. That sounds more reasonable. Sometimes that decimal is hard to pick-up.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
It could also mean that is the limit on the power cord. mine will run fine on 30amps along with lots of other stuff. JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
That sticker on the power cord is the rating of the cord, not the Samsung. The cord is almost like an extension cord; it can be used on all sorts of appliances, so it has to have a separate rating. Look at the sticker on the back of the tv for its the maximum rating.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have the same coach and TV (40" Samsung). I have had no problems. I have used the TV when plugged into 30amp and 20amp.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Good Advice and the tag is likely the rating for the cord. I will look at the back of the TV. I believe the problem was caused by poor power at the post and is not because it draws too much. The campground owner is looking into a bad breakers as the chief suspect. I have also run the TV on 20 amps with no problem.