Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
adamron
Established Member

M.O.C. #10098
re: new camper is here!

okay,
the new camper is here, finally! okay so question already, how do you only run 1 air conditioner when you have 2?
we love the space and all the storage. the TV in the living room is awesome!

adamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Congratulations on the new camper! Hope you get many years of service with it. As far as the extra A/C, We’ve only had one and I’m really not sure how you would do that. My thinking on it would be unless there is a separate switch somewhere to just trip the breaker on the one you don’t want running.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have only one controlled by the thermostat. If yours has two controlled by the one thermostat check the "zone" setting. your Main AC should be 1 and the bedroom should be 2.

This is a guess. Someone with an 09 or 10 unit with two ACs should be along soon.

Congratulations on the new unit. I hope this helps and I hope I am correct.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Congratulations on your new rig, and enjoy.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Congratulations on your new unit. I hope you have many years of trouble free fun.

John Kohl was correct. Your wall thermostat has two zones. To get the LR A/C on, switch to zone #1, select A/C and set your temp and fan speed. You will hear the fan come on but it takes about two minutes before the compressor turns on. This is to save the compressor from short cycling in the event of poor power or a power outage.

If you wish to run the second A/C go to zone two and repeat the procedure used for zone one.

A couple of hints. If you are in the LR and don't need both A/C's running, just run the bedroom A/C. It is ducted into the LR and will be much quieter and when you go to bed change over and run the LR unit.

Also don't try to get the furnace to turn on (furnace is on zone one)if you have the zone two A/C active (running or not)

Happy trails,
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What's mentioned above by the membership assumes that both A/Cs are connected to the main thermostat and ducted accordingly. This would be the best way, but if not, then one of them (probably the rear unit) would be controlled by the thermostat and the front unit (in the bedroom) would be controlled by its own panel at the A/C unit itself.

I'm guessing you ordered your factory unit with dual A/Cs and I sure hope they connect them and duct them together. If you don't check into this the factory may not do it, then the dealer will add the 2nd unit after the fact and then they operate separately. Confirm this with whomever you ordered this thru, then make sure they show you how this works during your PDI (Pre-Deliver Inspection).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
adamron
Established Member

M.O.C. #10098
i guess i went brain dead during the walk through i assumed more that what i thought . that i knew what he was talking about. but when 1 solid and 2 is flashing both units would come on. i understand know its all in the mode setting. but if anyone has any suggestions, please let us know.
i love the kitchen and all the storage space we have with this model. since i love to cook. we are still stressing out on the goodyears, the date on the tires is the 49week of 09. but we decided to start saving and put on new tires.
it seems to rock back and forth when bringing it home more than the other one did.
could tell a difference in the weight of this one when we pulled it home. we had a 30x40 cover built while we were waiting. but the sun still hits the nose in late afternoon. we hope to send pictures soon as soon as we figure out how to do that. we may try and come to the hillsville rally, we are only 6hrs away and we have family in hillsville. we have stayed in fancy gap at the koa. but we are headed to the outer banks next month. our first long trip with our new addition to our family.
adamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Art, I had the dealer install my second A/C unit. The ducting was already in place. They added a thermistor on the trim near the bedroom closet door which gives zone 2 its temperature info. I haven't checked the wiring but I assumed the control wiring and sensor wiring was factory installed and located under the handy box cover on the bedroom ceiling.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You mentioned rocking side to side. This may be the MorRyde suspension which could be different than your other unit.
Enjoy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Maybe mine is backwards. Zone one is the bedroom and zone 2 the livingroom a/c and furnace. But hey it works so i'm ok with it. Just have to remember which zone I need on. Enjoy the new rig.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
So if I understand right...the furnace is only on zone 1 but heats the whole trailer.....I noticed zone 2 does not have a furnace setting.
THANKS

2011 3580RL
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope you have many happy times in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PAJoe

So if I understand right...the furnace is only on zone 1 but heats the whole trailer.....I noticed zone 2 does not have a furnace setting.
THANKS

2011 3580RL
Yes, you understand correctly...at least that is how our 3400 operates.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote