Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Our second Montana

We have just purchased our second Montana. It is a used 2004-2955RL. Don't have any history on it or the previous owners. It comes with a 45 day guarentee from the dealer and we are taking it on the road almost immediately. Does anyone have any comments about this model or insight as to what we might expect. We have been Montana owners for 8 years and were thrilled to find another Montana we could upgrade into.

pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We have an older model (2002) and I find it to be a great camper. I see no reason why you can’t get many years of great camping from it. We haven’t had any major trouble at all with ours. We’ve had it now for almost 4 years.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Two things I would suggest you check is
1- fill all the tanks (especially the gray water) and check for leaks.
2- check the shackles for wear.
Others will be along to suggest things also.

Good luck and congratulations on the 2955.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Do as awaywego has suggested and you might look at flex-frame. Enjoy our as been a good trailer other than the tanks. The 2955RL are light campers and you should pull it easily.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can call Keystone customer service with the VIN number and they can tell you if there was a frame flex issue and if it was repaired.They may also be able to provide some backrpound info on it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Just a really great floor plan, we previously had an 03 model. I also would recommend a close look at those shackles, your road trip should identify any other problems. Congrats and enjoy!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I can think of two things right off the bat. Is the floor plan vastly different than your new floorplan? The newer rig is a little longer than your prior rig, but the adjustments should be minimal. Being a member with a low member number probably means you know what maintenance and wear items to check so we don't need to cover that.

And second, with the new floorplan would be a concern for the steps hanging too low in the rear that they contact the surface when going through deep recesses like driveways and some campsites. There have been a couple of reports of owners who have gone through a dip and with a low backend there is a chance of contact and damage. I've always wondered if those wheels installed at an RV rear end for low rear ends would help. This is also more pronounced if you tow nose high because this means the rear end of the RV will be lower.

I hope the new rig provides you as many years of service as your first one. Don't forget to update your signature with the new rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
The 2955RL was for a very long time one of the best selling floorplans. The only reason we traded ours was our needs changed. We went from weekends and one week trips to 3-4 month trips. Had our needs not changed we would still have it.

As others have mentioned, keep watch of the shackles for wear and as a 2004 the tires should be changed if not already done.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
You have a good model in my opinion. That is probably because we have one. One of the things that comes to mind is the steps may come down in windy conditions in your travels. I use a snap pin on mine after drilling a 1.4 in. hole through the side of the steps in the up position. The snap pin has a small cable attached and is bolted on so that it does not get lost..... JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Wow, thank you all so much for your comments. I will certainly look into the items you have recommended. I had no idea bout the steps being a problem but I shall use the pin idea to keep them inplace. I will also inspect the shackles. I have experienced a spring failure in CO and I surely do not want to go thru that again. Once again thank you.
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Seriously consider a flood test of ALL the tanks, including the fresh water. Check for hydraulic fluid leaks and crawl up on the roof and inspect it thoroughly. Just our suggestions...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
[quote]Originally posted by deadeye

You have a good model in my opinion. That is probably because we have one. One of the things that comes to mind is the steps may come down in windy conditions in your travels. I use a snap pin on mine after drilling a 1.4 in. hole through the side of the steps in the up position. The snap pin has a small cable attached and is bolted on so that it does not get lost..... JB

We have the same snap pin and cable as deadeye thanks to deadeye.
It works great for us too.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote