Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
Question Moulding issues

Not Molding!

So as I get used to my 2019 -3950BR I noticed that some of the finishing touches on the interior seem to have a lack of "craftmanship". In the bathroom I noticed some of the moulding has come loose from the cabinets next to the commode. Hmmm I am always careful to use the fan when showering to keep the humidity down what could have caused it? I examine the moulding and notice the wall behind it has little raised bumps and a single glob of what looks like some adhesive.

I looked on the front of the moulding and low and behold there are tiny holes that line up with each "bump" on the wall. Looks like however was using the pin gun to attach the moulding to the wall had it set too high and shot the nail completely through the moulding! Thus the one tiny dab of glue came loose and the moulding separated.

I searched through the rest of the monty and see that most of the moulding has been attached in this fashion. I guess my question is "How come the pin holes were not filled?" and "Is keystone using magic glue and they can only afford a single dab to hold an entire moulding strip on?"

I assume others have experienced the same thing on their monties.... I can see some reworking and filling the pinholes in my future. I glued the strip back on with some marine adhesive so all is well now....

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2575  

darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tom-- You will find that none of the moldings are attached with anything but small brads used from a nail gun. This happens to be how they do it now rather than take the time and make sure the items are nailed on properly. When you are putting out 15-20 units a day off the assembly line, each station where it stops does not get a lot of time to do precision work and unfortunately the QC on the units is done at the end of the line and not during the actual station stop before moving to the next station. I've known friends that their whole trim board on both sides and top of the two larges slides came off while heading back from AZ last year. This is an older model also so the workmanship was better then BUT not good enough for the beatings that the units take on our smooth highways across this great nation. You will more than likely have to either reset all the molding yourself or have a carpenter come in and do it. It's an easy job but rather time consuming.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
pin holes filled? really? this is an RV, the moulding is nailed and they move on.

don't expect quality workmanship, this is a fasted paced operation.

The best way is for you to repair the issues on your dime....sorry to say.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
All the brads on our unit have been filled with some type of putty. My issue is it looks like they used the side of their hand or a dirty rag to smooth.
We have tried to clean the smears but not having any luck.
Any suggestions!
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
Damn kind of what I figured. had hoped that Keystone had learned something over the years...... Guess not..... still the old "quantity versus quality". The RV sales place says not our problem... but if you drop it off and leave it for 2-3 weeks we will see what we can do. I suppose I should be grateful for the offer......

Course this is the same dealer that we paid to install a stackable washer dryer in the rig and put a vent it. Turns out they never turned the water on, tested the washer dryer, and did not secure the drain hose to the drain pipe for the washer. Several bruised knuckles later all fixed... Such poor QC by the dealer never mind the manufacturer!

Since another piece of molding has fallen off I will get some filler color matched to it and begin the long process of gluing and filling. Got some time before we F/T so we can get these little projects done. Seems the factory guys don't know how to dial back the pin nailers so they don't shoot right through the moulding....

Thanks for all of the responses..... Shared misery!

Tom
Old 10-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
paper laminate on door

Couple of weekends ago I brushed up against the bedroom door and heard a sound - it was the paper wood grain facing on the door peeling up. I suppose with all the rain we have had in TX for Sept. and Oct. the humidity has been high. A couple of spots on the door edge peeled up ~1/4" wide over about half of the door. Those were easy fixes. Two of the top corners on the door had peeled back a bunch - by about 2". I got my contact cement out and a wall paper roller and went to work re-sticking it. The top corner where the largest peel was did not turn out so pretty...but oh well.
My 1 yr warranty is up in January 2019. The only items on my list so far is a couple of the Irvine Shades have issues...and I suppose NOW I would ask for a new bedroom door...but I just do not want to drop the thing off for xx? weeks hoping they can get to me. I will probably deal with the shades myself. I did get a recall notice for something to do with the water heater wiring and I need to get that done. The door-peel fix is OK with me...trying to keep it out of sight and out of DW's mind. She is a tough inspector.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
We must of bought a special unit, our trim appears to be stapled. Small staples but no adhesive as I had to replace a few pcs where the staple was shot through the 1/8" thick cardboard moulding. Going through thin cardboard with vinyl woodgrain using a pneumatic nailer is not a good combo, a little fast grab adhesive would really help.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
The week before we headed to Kingsland, TX for a 1 week golf marathon, we went to Mansfield, TX because I was in a golf tournament in Arlington, TX. When we got to the site in Mansfield, DW said we have a problem with the large strip of molding that runs along the ceiling towards the bedroom that hides the accent lights. What she saw was about 3 feet that had popped off the wall and was just hanging there. It was a pretty simple fix because I had some long sheet rock screws that I used to secure it. Note to self, next time out carry your Makita drill with you. Screwing it in by hand and hoping the molding does not split was a bit concerning to me. But it worked. When we got to Kingsland everything was perfect. If possible, I'd rather fix it myself.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Never leave home without your Cordless Drill and assorted drill bits and screw bits.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Roger that! The Makita and some of my bit/socket collection now live in the Montana belly next to the beer/water fridge. Since we have a RV garage at the house they are always close by whether we are home or on the road.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
Trim come loose next to the refg. 2 clamps clear liquid nail and a few hours later, fixed. Happy wife now. Only few more issue that i will be fixing myself.

As far as QA. I had a problem with a few issues. When i talked with Keystone customer service and asked about the workmanship. Well to sum it up, i was told that the dealership did not have those issues on the receiving inspection report.

When you buy a new RV, It goes back to what day of the week your unit was built.

We had recall fixed ASAP for safety issues.
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #12
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Just curious about the recall notice you received on the hot water heater. I have been dealing with mine for months. Was it your model specifically?
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #13
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Nothing like 'Old World Craftsmanship'. Any place you need adhesive liquid nails is great. Any place that has staples you can use small ring-shank nails that are color coated to match your trim but don't expect to ever remove the trim later on in one piece as the trim probably will be there for life.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:27 AM   #14
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I called a local dealer (not where I bought the unit) and scheduled the furnace wiring recall fix for 1:00 this Friday. The tech performs the fix in the parking lot and it takes 30 minutes...that is what they told me.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
I kinda figured that it was a one way process when I glued it back on. The next one I am going to try it with the gorilla glue waterproof polyurethane. I really like this stuff and it is way cheaper than the marine sticky I had been using. I have had great results with this stuff in my leesurelite pop up tent trailer I tow behind my scoot.... It vibrates more than the fiver and it gets rained on a lot. 8^)

Judging from the comments it seems to be a don't rock the boat from a dealer perspective. If the dealer complains too much about fit and finish the manufacturer might drop them or delay orders. Eventually what goes around comes around! I was swearing a bit when I was snaking RG6 cable to replace the crap the factory used. Unfortunately, I said a bad word or two....

Tom
Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I would personally not use adhesive to attach any trim. If you ever have to remove it you are in trouble. Texan"s suggestion to use small ring-shank nails that are color coated to match your trim is a good one however I also counter sink the nail a little bit and fill with colored putty.
You can use a nailer set at the right pressure if you have one and cover the hole with putty.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 PM   #17
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Unless the trim needs to be removable for access or something I would recommend using adhesive. A lot of the trim used really can't support nails as it seems to be a card board like composite, not wood.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #18
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
Unless the trim needs to be removable for access or something I would recommend using adhesive. A lot of the trim used really can't support nails as it seems to be a card board like composite, not wood.
That is why I would would not use adhesive especially if it"s composite. If it gets wet and swells up you would want to replace it with wood preferably. If glued how do you get it off?

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
That is why I would would not use adhesive especially if it"s composite. If it gets wet and swells up you would want to replace it with wood preferably. If glued how do you get it off?
Use a heat gun & putty knife, will clean right up. Hopefully it doesn't get too wet inside, if it does the trim replacement would be minor. I live in the north east & really haven't had any moisture issues on the inside. One thing I always do is keep air moving when not in use, helps a lot.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #20
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Had a piece of molding replaced under warranty. It was the piece along the kitchen slide. At the bottom there is a 3 sided trim cap which was removed. One look and decided I would reinstall it. It had 11 staples in the top and 5 in a side. How the tech removed it in 1 piece is beyond me. So,,, I cut each staple as close as possible and reattached with 2 finish nails. I have posted here before the person that installed the trim on my 5er should never be permitted near a nail gun, I doubt he could master a broom.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote