Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Day/Night Shade Repair

We have a 2009 10th anniversary Montana. The string in the day/night shades on one end of the slide broke. We find it impossible to access the top part of the shade to even diagnose what happened. Any suggestions on removing the cornice to restring the shade? We don't want to order a repair kit till we know we can do the work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
[quote]Originally posted by Illini Trekker

John there's a sticky under Repair and services.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Go to the MOC home page and there is a link on day-night shade repairs
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Take down the curtains. They are likely fastened with velcro at the top. Then look up there there should be two or three screws with a square slot. Take out those screws and the cornice (but I don't think that is what it is called, should come off. The screws can be hard to see and you must be a bit of a contortionist but my old arthritic neck did it. Once you get that off, the shade comes down easily. There are instructions on the front pages of this forum that are easy to follow. You don't need a kit, you just need the right size cord. We bought ours from a sewing shop. That hardest part of the whole deal is taking off the cornice. I have a small battery operated screw driver with a six inch extension. Saves oodles of time and has become my most used tool. Ryobi from Home Depot, about $40
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
Under "Repairs and Service" at the top of the page is a very helpful sticky on this subject. It has been a great help to me as well.

Good Luck
5 wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Thank you for the replies. We found the link and the information we need. The repair should be simple.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have repaired one of these. Repairing the shade is doable but I wouldn't call it simple.

I purchased a repair kit that had the string and replacement grommets and instructions. It's tedious and needs a little time. I worked very slowly so I wouldn't mess up and it took me over two hours. I'm just warning you that it will be more time consuming than you might think especially trying to get the string threaded through correctly - it is not just a straight shot! Then adjusting the length to make it even and THEN another adjustment to have just the right tension. I'm just trying to state worse case and hope your job goes better than my first time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
You are correct...this is not simple. We have spent an hour and a half and we still are not to the adjusting stage. We've put it aside for now and hope to finish the task tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
The job is finally completed! The two of us probably spent about 4 hours, in all. We bought twine from the hardware store and large needles at a yarn shop. Hope we never have to do it again, but next time will be easier. I found the following instructions online. Others might want to keep this link.

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/instructi...structions.pdf

John and Carol