Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Backroads
Established Member

M.O.C. #9419
Route info from Maryland to Oregon

I sold my house and moving from Maryland to Oregon. Plan on leaving October 16th. Trying to figure out the best route. Route 70 acrost is nice but I'm afraid of snow in Denver in late October. Route 40 acrost is a little south of Denver area. Anyone out there please send your 2 cents worth.
Thanks
Backroads

Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Backroads,

You can have snow in the Colorado high country anytime after mid September. However, the road crews do a very good job. We travel from the western side of CO to the eastern side many times in the winter and if there are problems in the high country we just delay a day or two. You certainly could run into snow on I-70 in mid October but if you can delay a short time you can certainly make it without problems. I really would not expect you to have any problems at that time of the year.

Route 40 is certainly an option but it also can get weather. It is much longer.

You can also run into weather in some hills on the Idaho/Oregon boarder. But again would not expect any real problems when you plan to travel.

We have traveled from Grand Junction, CO, to Portland, OR, several times during the period from Oct to April and other than an occasional day delay have not had any issues.

We travel I-70 to US 6/191 in UT to Spanish Fork then North on I -15 to I-84.

Just hit Denver and Salt Lake City between the hours of 9AM and 3PM to avoid the rush hours.

Have a good trip.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Try the Northern route, we drove from
wisconson on that route. I thought roads better and watch the weather
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Backroads
Established Member

M.O.C. #9419
Thanks for the advise. Sure nice to get another opinion. We decided to take I-70 across.
Thanks again
Richard
Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Good luck, have fun, drive safe, and let us all know when you make it to OR.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Backroads, I-70 in Colorado is mostly flatlands until you get to Denver. You can get snow out on the plains but less likely in late October than when you get into the mountains.

Check the forecast and current conditions when you approach Denver. If it looks bad you can turn south on I-25 and catch I-40 at Albuquerque. You could still get snow on both those routes, particularly in New Mexico, but it's less likely than west of Denver.

I-70 west of Denver is a beautiful drive. I hope it works out for you to take it. We've done it that time of year but sometimes it will work, other times not so well. They are good at clearing roads, as others mentioned, but I don't like running on salted roads if I can avoid it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote