Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Monty features

Of all the features your Montana has, which is your best liked and least liked and what would you change if you could? We really havn't had a chance to really use ours enought to really know. But I sure we find something when we do. Jack & Janet Happy Camping

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Wagonmaster that is a really good question. Here is where I should be putting in an answer, but for the life of me, I can't without some added thought. we like most everything about our or I guess we would have not spent the money. I know that sounds pretty lame, but will think about it and see if I can come up with a better idea. Happy RVing.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We have the 3575 & love it. We like the open floor space. But if we could get one we would take it with a smaller desk. Everything else is fine.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We have the 3575 and love the large desk and open floor plan.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Wagonmaster,
We like about all the features in our 03 2955 RL. If I were buying another tomorrow, I think I would consider one with the rear kitchen.
I think I would enjoy that layout a bit more.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thank you Weldon and Carolyn.

After reading Wagonmaster's post I was thinking hard about his question and like Native Tex could not come up with a difinitive answer. That was until I read Weldon and Carolyn's reply.
We love our rear living room for no more reason than reading the frequent posts about dishes, etc. breaking in the rear kitchen models. We've dragged our 2955RL up and down the eastern US over some of the worst of roads many times over the past 21 months and not a single broken dish, glass, mug, cup or glass lid for the pots and pans. And we do not use any type of cushioning either.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
My wife would say the counter tops. I say the solid wood cabinet parts. The one thing that could be improved would be the main frame. The Carriage was my second pick in Rv's because of the double frame members. Maybe that would allow a rear receiver on Montanas. But along with the above you could lose the affordable nature of the Keystone models.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
I keep hearing folks talking about the breaking of dishes, glasses, etc., with a rear kitchen. We have a 2004, 2850 RK and have never had a broken anything yet. We keep our dinerware, etc., over the dinette and have had no problems....yet. If we don't put things away properly they have a tendency to move around a little but nothing broken. We use 'real' glasses and cups, etc.. We've only the the RV for two years but have hauled over 10,000 miles in that time!!!
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I love the floor plan with mine. Having said that, if the 3400 had of been on the market when I bought I would have had a hard choice to make. The only thing I regret is not getting a unit with a washer/dryer, but at the time they did not have a floor plan with one that I liked as much as my 2980RL.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Best: Floor plans (before Keystone messed them up by combining the bathroom & bedroom) and towability.

Worst: That &*$#@ remote thermostat!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
The best feature for us would be the open floorplan in iur 3575 and I LOVE my Desk, the desk is what sold me on the RV. Also the best is that when we hook up, it takes us AWAY!!!!!!

The worst would be the lack of a sturdy cupboard for my pots and pans, I had pick up a freestanding Shopping board type cabinet to put them in, there just is no other place that I can make work for me!

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:55 PM   #12
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Our best feature is the floorplan and the little "office area" under the TV. Least favorite - the battery location. We've lived in ours 4 years now, and with a few modifications it is just about perfect for us.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We chose the 2980RL becuase we wanted a rear "living area", the large rear window, lots of counter space, and no more than 33' length. However, the living area isn't all that big, and we'd love to have about 3' more length between the kitchen and the chairs, but we live with what we have because we don't want the extra outside length. Other than that, it's perfect.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #14
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We have a 3685 with the front living room. That would be our favorite part. Being able to sit across from one another and visit during a brief downpour or a really hot day when we all need to just cool off a bit.
Least favorite part is the rear clothes closet. It has tossed all the hangers off the closet rod on each of our short trips so far. (Must do a search and find a fix for this one)
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:28 AM   #15
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
We love our Montana. We have the 3280. The only thing we don't really like about it is that with the island we can't have a hide a bed. We have to have the jacknife. I might think about that if I were buying again. What we like the most is the big closet and drawers in the bedroom.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:35 AM   #16
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I second Ron & Melinda's thoughts. I think Keystone could put a better grade of carpet in their units and add a 110volt outlet in the dining room slide. There is a phone jack but no outlet to plug in the laptop or toaster...!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:51 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
we have the 3685 and have lived in it for 18 Mo now and really love it. we like the living room on the front and BR in the rear their is less noise from the road and others when we sleep, the grand kids love it when they are over they each have a sofa to lay on and watch movies and the openness of the rig is great, I think it makes it look larger w/ the mirror doors in the BR. and Fordzilla.. the rear closet is larger and we Lie it on our first trip the entire rod fell and close everywhere I have replaced the screws w/bolts all the way thru in the shelf and into the W/D closet and put real wood boards to reinforce them haven't fell Yet, but I thin we need to get rid of some close we have winter in the storage and summer in the closet and rotate. on another post I read that you turn the hangers around facing out and they wont fall..havent tried it yet.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #18
Montana_3032
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3032
Best things for my 3500RL..

Absolute #1 is the 'doors' closing off the 'living area' from the rest of the 5er...but that's just me..I know most folks like the 'open' concept..but...got into rving to 'late' in my opinion for a bunkhouse (he's 11 now)...and I have a night owl (like me) for a son...I can close it up at night...and the whole living room is his 'bunkhouse' and we can still use the bunkhouse/living room...when he's not with us or later on after he has graduated from college and can the 'chose' if he goes with us or not camping

I love the countertops and the 'convection' microwave thangy..it really does work pretty good..

I love the big TV (television) in the living room and in the bedroom and the fact that the bedroom tele can 'slide' out to see it good from the bed..

Love my fireplace...silly in the big scheme of things but I do love it...

The recliners are soooo nice...

The not likes...

Little linoleum around the shower

The sink covers are too heavy

That stupid 'extra' step inside the Monty before you get to the outside steps...it's a wonder I'm still alive getting used to that thing being there

I wish there was a window in the 'bathroom closet'..

And it probably would't have bothered me before...cause I hadn't seen a 5er in our price range with 'real' doors seperating the 'bathroom' area from the 'bedroom' but now that I know they used to have 'em...I'm not happy I don't have one now
Montana_3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Bob & Lee said, turn the hangers around the other way. We used to have a FW with closet across the rear and had the same problem. Another camper clued us to the solution and it worked. Never had another one jump off the rod.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #20
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
There are so many things we love about our Montana. We have the 3295.
Love the fireplace, the door separating the bedroom from bathroom, the counter tops, curio cabinet. We keep our throws in there and the dog toys. Also good place for the remotes. Love the desk, my washer and dryer. Also nice to have such a big basement area. Our Wildcat had a big basement but I think the Monty's is bigger. We like the tinted windows too. I could go on and on.
What I don't like is the sink covers are quite heavy. Would like the outside shower on same side as our door. A window in potty room would be nice. A little larger potty room would be nice. But the likes out weigh the dislikes by far. This is our 3rd 5th wheel and I think we will keep this one.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote