Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am confused here, what is tree lawn???

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You mean there are no tree lawns in Spokane, Wa.No wonder there is no problem backing in driveways. The tree lawn is a strip of lawn between the sidewalk (do they have sidewalks in Spokane) and the street usually about 8 to 10 feet wide. The original use, and in most cities is still used that way, was where the city buried the utilities, Gas , Water, Etc, Lines and the city has a easement on that strip of your proptery and they frequenty plant TREES on that strip of proptery..hence the name "tree Lawn. It is your property, you take care of it but the city or the utilities can dig it up any time they want..you do not pay property tax on that strip of land.. Hummmm. No tree lawns..I like that... If we did not have tree lawns I would have another 20 feet of street and would have no backing
problem..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #23
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Thanks for the answer. There are no tree lawns in the county where I live. The lawn goes all the way to the curb, nice thing is our street is pretty wide. I can have all the slides open, a car parked on the other side of the street and traffic can still get through between them. That is the nice thing about living in the county not the city. No stupid rules or tree lawns. =)
Old 05-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #24
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We had to add 2 ft along the side of the drive where we use to live in California. The slumlord neighbor (25 yrs and he never did anything for his renters)came over and told us we needed a building permit....He called the city and the police. City told him he would need a civil engineer that would cost him $2,000 to prove our boundary lines..He said he wasn't going to go that far. The police came and told us we could only keep the trailer on the street for 48 hours, at that time it had been on the street 2 weeks. Only reason they said they came out was because he complained.(He didn't even live there.) Why did they think we needed 2 ft along the driveway? We explained what we were doing and they agreed that the slumlord was out of line. We poured the concrete to his advantage because he was on our property by 5 ft. We only took 2 1/2 ft. Made his property look wonderful. We got our trailer parked in the drive and sold the house 2 weeks later and now live in Montana where we pull in from the street park the Montana along side the garage. Full hookups sewer to, and when we are ready to leave we just pull out the other end. We have 2 circular drives now. One just for the Monty....Really a nice setup.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #25
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Rich
I believe that area between the street and the sidewalk is called the parkway in my neighberhood
Old 05-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
We have always referred to it as a parkway also. May be a Calif thing but my parents were from Kansas and they called it a parkway also. Our neighborhood (10 years old) does not have them. We have all underground utilities.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #27
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich, Thanks for the explanation of tree lawn as well, I was scratching my head on that one. i guess one good thing about living in the south is no restrictions like guys guys are speaking of. Since I live in the country we do just about what we want to on streets etc.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And we never heard of it called a Parkway..funny how things are called different things in different parts of the country. Example is a can of Coke a can of Soda or a can of Pop. All of our utilities are also underground as this is a fairly new development but we still have the "treelawn" (parkway)..
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #29
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I never heard the five foot strip of my lot that is owned by the Municipality where I live referred to as anything other than
Muny land but I live in a nice subdivision with underground services and the Municipality of North Cowichan owns the five feet of land next to the curb so they can access your services if they need. I poured a new 11 foot wide by 40' foot long driveway when my son and daughter got cars. They live at home while they attend university so I wanted all four vehicles in the house to be able to go without moving any other vehicles. Years ago I poured a 60 foot long driveway in the side yard for my RVs and that is where the Monty sits while stored. When we load it up for a trip , it gets put on the new front driveway in the front yard to make packing easy. Yes, owning RVs means lots of concrete.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #30
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I am fortunate in that Spring Hill has never become a city so we all go by county rules. We are allowed to have RV's as long as they are not in front of the house. My drive that I had put in was permitted for and RV so if the rules every change I will be "grandfathered" So I think it is secure. Lots of motorhomes and trailers in this area so they are pretty well accepted.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Muny land, Tree lawn, Parkway they all serve the same purpose.Our Gas lines and water lines are underground in the tree lawn There is also a easement on a 30 foot strip of lane in the rear of the property where the power lines, Cable TV, Phone line, and a cross country natural Gas line are buried. My Concrete guy will be over Sat to see what needs to be done.. When we poured and expanded the present driveway last year the 3295 was the camper we were going to order.It is a couple of feet shorter than the 3400 and we would have been OK.. Oh..welll...
Old 05-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #32
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
In my part of the country (North Dakota) we call that space a boulevard!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #33
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mfoss,
That is what I know that space of grass as, a boulevard... Must have picked that up back when living in Minot, ND and Rapid City, SD.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #34
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I'd be interested in other rigs total lengths...TV (cc or ec and lb or sb) and Montana combined.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #35
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
This is the same thing that happened many years ago with that tower ( tower of bable ) everybody started talking different and the thing got all messed up. HAR HAR.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #36
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Dear Keystone,
Would you please build a Montana that is articulate and bends in the middle so Rich and I can get ours backed off the street without tearing up the neighborhood.
I am fortunate to have "camp site room" beside my house but getting there is another issue. And Keystone would you please let tell my neighbor when they park their car across the street from my driveway that you are not responsible for damage that may occur to their car as you have built the back side of the Monty high enough to take out a windshield on a small compact car.
Thank you.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
indy roadrunner...I second that..We have the same problem...although parking is not allowed on our street folks do it anyhow at times.When they see us coming down the street there is a mad rush to move their cars.If the 3400 was 37.3 feet as advertised instead of the 39.1 feet that is really is we could maybe squeeze it in.. Welll the concrete Guy was here this AM and for a mere $ 1,200.00 he can fix it.We Will straighten out that part at the drivers side front wheel 15 feet down to the curb and extend the apron on the side we back into another 8 feet.The entrance from the street will now be 32 feet wide.. It is over kill but we found from experience that you can never have enough concrete.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #38
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
$1200?? I think I would be driving over the grass.... lol
Old 05-14-2006, 04:52 AM   #39
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I did drive over my grass initially and almost lost Monty and truck in the Florida sand on a rainy day. 5000 was a small pice to pay for my drive.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #40
Tom H

M.O.C. #5289
This post was Edited by Admin! It is not in keeping with our Mission Statement. It is completely out of line and there is no excuse or justification for behaving in such a manner.
Tom H is offline   Reply With Quote