Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Squirrels in undercarriage

Hi Guys:

Problem with squirrels putting nuts in our undercarriage. They have gotten in thru spaces for the slide retracter bars ( or whatever they are called ) they also get in thru some spaces that the pneumatics run. We have the winterized 2013 Montana 3800R. I have taped all the holes I could find but am thinking I should use some expanding foam to seal any holes I can find.
Are there any more ideas from some of the old timers. I am sure lots of you live in areas where there are lots of squirrels.

Thanks to all.

Golfer Dave.

PS. We are in to our 10th year of full timing with no end in sight.

Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Are you sure it is squirrels? We have a "rustic" cabin where we deer hunt, far from being air tight or critter tight. But it does keep the rain and wind off. And mice are common. And it is not unusual to find acorns in boots, cabinet shelves, under the seat of an ATV left inside when not hunting, etc.
Had mice or rats build nests under the hood of my previous trucks. Lots of squirrels around here also, but I think it was mice doing it, although I never saw what it was. Ate wires and vacuum hoses to the tune of about $400 3 different times. Finally found Critter Ridder at Home Depot and sprayed all around under the hood. Resprayed every 2-3 months. And they never came back. Don't know if that would work in your case or not.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
If u use the spray foam I noticed at HD that they have some that has a bitter flavour which is supposed to be better at keeping rodents out.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
I had trouble with red squirrels this summer. I foamed a bunch of places, legs, underbelly gaps, back end by the water connection, but never did find where they were getting in. They could find their way out in a flash. I'd tap on the ceiling and they would go running. Had them run across the shower skylight (freaky!!) and then outside, they'd sit in the tree and scold me. I ended up trying to use traps outside and caught one and a couple of mice.. and a frog..If anyone has suggestions on where to look, I'm up for foaming more places.
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Hi Guys:

I have sprayed Critter Ridder on all openings I could find and I am now covering all the holes with sheet tin using Gorilla tape. I still hear the squirrel in the underbelly so my job is not done.
Could you please send me the name of the rodent protection foam you are using. I will keep you all posted with my progress. Thanks.

Golferdave
Old 09-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
The foam is available at big box - Menards, Home Depot, etc and sometimes is with the spray foam in the paint department and sometimes in the rodent poison section. It is the same thing as is used for door, window gaps but is suppose to have something in it the buggers don't like.

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Hi Guys:

Solved the original squirrel problem by finally trapping the critter and relocating him about 10 miles away. I tried spraying the area with Critter Ridder, spreading Critter Ridder around and by covering all the holes I could find. Nothing had worked. He had to go.
But now I see I have 2 more of the critters in the spruce tree across the street. Sure hope they do not try to find squirrel #1s stash in my rig ! I have to keep them out until I move south to Arizona late October.
Happy trails to all.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Dave as you disscribed the space where the slide retractor enter the frame is definitely a point of entry.you can not use spray foam in that area. When I pulled the slide in for winter I used a 4 ich wide tape similar to gurella tape it worked I had Squirrel a few years the underbelly and front compartment full of Black Walnuts
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:33 AM   #9
BoomersRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #9724
Geez Louise! I am having the same problem. Know it was squirrels this year by the size of the scat. Chewed my bedroom tv cabinet good. We have a gap in the underbelly by the sewer discharge. I tried filling it with steel wool but apparently that didn't work. Also we didn't have a problem with squirrels (mice, yes) until we had another AC added to the bedroom (came with space for it). Not sure if there is a way they can get in through there. We had a RV mechanic install that.

About at the end of rope with this. Every fall I do something more or different and still have scat and poison that they apparently loved to munch on. Used those bags last fall.
BoomersRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For squirrels, pack rats and in the S&B days even possums under the deck, moth balls worked perfectly. Put them in sections of panty hose and hang them where you want to keep the critters out. No amount of sealing will deter squirrels or rats if they think you have a good place to store or nest.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote