Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
Rear Side Marker Lights

Has any one added a set of rear side marker lights to their Montanna to aid in determining the end of their 5er? If so what did you use and any tips on how to wire it. Thanks!

ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Not yet but I am going to mount them on the side of the fiber glass rear cap with red "running" lights and just wire into the rear light system.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If I'm not mistaken Bingo made this mod, If I'm mistaken, someone else did and I have lost it. BUT I know someone did it. Speak up master light man.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I think it was Art & Marge who did it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I removed the rear tail light, spliced into brake light, fished wire below, wire the light, found a place to run the ground to. Used the same wire and ran a jumper to the side for running lights. The bracket is a piece of scrap tin and bent it to the shape to make the light level. Picked the lights up at Walmart.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
A few new rigs have rear side marker lights most with the turn signal also. I may try to do this to my 04 Mountaineer as it has the metal bottom and would be easy to install. I would like to do this so when you change lanes in traffic the people in the lanes next to you can see what you are trying to do and may be nice and back off and let you change lanes.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, we were one of the persons who has done this. We added cornering lights to the rear corners of our Montana to improve driving visibility of the rear of our rig on turns at night or in bad weather (the inspiration was when we had BOTH and we were navigating trees). Only being able to see half the rig under these conditions made us real nervous especially when backing up. The lamp assemblies were purchased at Pep Boys in the trailer/towing section. They are also available at other auto and RV supply stores.

The lamps work off the running lights (no blinking) and are positioned so that they tap off either rear lamp's running light. I drilled a hole in the side of the trailer and was able to run the wires to the back lamps (remove the rear lamp assemblies to get a better view).

On the passenger side the wire runs into the interior of the rig inches above the floor, then out the back. Wire molding covers and protects the wire in the interior. On the driver side there is a triangular piece of the wood that was removed (hides the water fill connection from the rear living room) and was able to drill a hole at the side and the rear to get to that respective rear bulb. The running lights are then tapped off at the rear lamps. Test the connections, then when affixing the lamp assemblies (ours took 2 screws each, DON'T forget the sealant around the screws and the assembly before mounting to the exterior, which should be clean. You should not seal the very bottom center so if any condensation gets in there the water has someplace to go. Then a wet finger to smooth and remove the overflow and enjoy!

Here's the link for the finished look. Pictures were not taken during the process because we were not MOCers at the time and didn't think to do so:

http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/u...0my%20Montana/

If you have additional questions feel free to PM me.

This additional post is from someone inquiring about making the rear lamps (and center side lamps) blink in unison but we did not feel the need. When changing lanes, since the truck goes first the autos behind us will get the message as the trailer with its rear blinkers follows (a trick we learned from truckers - they don't use cornering lights.) It would not be that much harder to use a running/blinker style lamp assembly, just another tap of the brake/blinker wire on either side is all.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...=marker,lights
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote