Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Canadian Mind

M.O.C. #17364
Possible Full Timer

Hi folks. My name is Matthew. Considering purchasing an RV with the intention of full timing. I don't anticipate I will make a purchase until next summer; however, I'd like to get all my research done so that when the time comes, it's an easy purchase. I joined to forum because I want to learn more about the Montanas. I figured this would be a great place to find the truth about the pros & cons of going with a Montana. I also would like to get a better understanding of what my tow vehicle can handle, I don't intend on upgrading trucks.

Current truck is a 2005 SRW F350 with the 6.oh. Yes I know the reputation. I've already started the process to make it a better towing vehicle (install 4.30s, finish bulletproofing the block, etc).

My girlfriend and I are very fond of the Montana 3440 RL and Montana 343 RL floor plans. If the truck can't tow the 3440 RL safely and no other brands suit our needs over the High Country model, the 343 RL would be our #2 choice. I do have my CDL and am very aware of the capacities and their meanings. I understand that the 3440 RL has a GVWR of 16 500lbs, and if I do go with it that I wouldn't be able to load it up to it's max weight in order to keep the truck under it's GCWR and GVWR.

Backstory:

Recently got out of the military after 7 years of service (contract expiration, did not re-sign. Originally from Comox, on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, and I've been posted to various locations in New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, and finally here in Wainwright, Alberta.

I would have liked to move back to the Island right after I got out, however cost of living is insane. I would need to own this house for several more years in order for there to be enough equity to make buying a home on the Island affordable.

Mt girlfriend and I are currently considering renting out this house and moving elsewhere. This leaves us two options:

The first is that we buy a second home somewhere else here in Alberta. If we choose to stay in Alberta for the medium - long term, this is the best option. Two homes mean twice the equity (minus capital gains once I rent). More equity means more affordability and more options once the time comes to move back to BC. However, we may not want to stay in Alberta for the 4+ years required for this plan to be fruitful.

Second option has come up in discussion more recently. The basic idea is we'd purchase an RV, either new or used, and we'd park it on the family's acreage back home. It doesn't get very cold in the winter in Costal BC, so I think full timing would be manageable. This plan has the benefits of getting us back home sooner, and we'd be graced with the ability to travel wherever we want comfortably. Downside to this plan is that there isn't really any equity in an RV. This may give us less equity to play with when the time comes to sell the rental in Wainwright and buy a house on the island. We'd either have to maintain the rental for even longer to build the same equity we would with two homes, or settle for fewer options when the time comes to make a purchase.

Anyway, that's that for now. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and learn about the Keystone Montana!

Canadian Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We full time in a Montana and wouldn't trade the lifestyle for equity no matter what. Just too much fun being able to go where you want when you want. This forum is a great place to find out what the problems some folks have with Montana's are, but you can quickly get the wrong idea. There are thousands of members on this forum and most of the time we don't post unless we want help and opinions on a problem. Once in a while you will find a post that gives you some idea that many of us wouldn't trade our Montana and if we do it will be for another Montana.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
We have a 2013 and once I fixed all the little things that got past the selling dealer (camping world, souhern alabama...we have been mostly trouble free. The montana is very liveable, but r9 walls are still r9. You will be burning more propane during coastal winters in bc than most full-timers do that follow the warmer climates. And you are correct about rvs not having much equity...like zero. But if you can live in a very small apartment, you can live in a trailer. John
Old 05-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We were first introduced to the Montana's several years ago by a dealer. At the time Bonnie was far from convinced that full timing was for her. The dealer suggested that we join MOC to gain knowledge of the Montana's, RVing and full timing. It took several more years to convince Bonnie and to sell our stick home, but all the while we studied the conversations on the MOC forum. Neither of us had any prior camping experience when we started full timing. The education that we received from MOC certainly allowed us to avoid the pitfalls that the uninformed would experience entering into this lifestyle.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
While any RV depreciates rather than building equity, we found fulltiming to be less expensive overall when compared to owning and maintaining a house and your ability to set one up on family land (assuming no site rental) would be another cost savings.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Welcome to the forum. You have undoubtedly found your best source of information regarding Montana 5th wheels on the internet. It sounds as though you have spent a lot of time researching and planning for your future. I'm sure I don't speak for everyone here, but I will say the majority of fulltimers, part-timers, and weekend warriors, like myself, don't get into this game considering the equity prospects. It's like owning a boat in that regard. In my opinion, it's not value-added in terms of dollars and cents (sense?). It's a lifestyle, one lots of us choose to live, regardless of the financial pitfalls. If buying a Montana to live in while you wait for your ship to come in is your intention, so be it, but I'm not sure I'd plan on walking away with more than I started with. Best wishes with your plans. I hope everything falls into place for you.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Canadian Mind

M.O.C. #17364
That's why it's a con. Do I choose a fixed home that will build equity in a location we aren't overly fond of, or do I choose the relative freedom of living in an RV wherever we want to live that doesn't build equity.

Granted, whatever I save when it comes to cost of living could be invested elsewhere. However, unless I buy used I'm still going to have to borrow funds and make relatively significant payments for several years.

Reference the property in BC, we have stayed there before during the winter in a Jayco Travel Trailer. Not sure what model, but when hooked up to power, space heaters were adequate keeping the trailer warm. I doubt there would be any lot costs, we'd probably have to share the electrical bill. Water can be drawn from the well, and waste can be dumped directly into the septic tank.
Canadian Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:03 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just food for thought. A large number of folks found out in 2008 that home equity constantly rising isn't a given either.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:13 AM   #9
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
Welcome to the forum. We own a 2006 3400RL and have lived in it for 5 years. We are also Albertans (Wabamun, west of Edmonton). For the first 3 winters we were in Nanaimo (Living Forest RV Park) and were very comfortable in our Montana. Now we are wintering in the U.S. (Yuma). Summertime we stay at our daughters farm. We pull the Montana with our Dodge 3500 SRW, 6.7 litre cummins and it has no problem pulling the Montana with all our worldly possessions. I would encourage you to enjoy some time trying the full-time lifestyle. You may decide to buy a property at a later date, but for now enjoy your freedom. Maybe we will see you on the road sometime!
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We agree with DQDick. We bought our last stick home in 2002 and sold it in 2013. During that time the equity dropped by almost 25%. Yes, the housing market will have it's peaks and valleys, but can you predict what will happen to your home's value over time? Can you predict whether some undesirable event will occur near your stick home that will cause values to drop?
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote