Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
RV Roadhelp Plan

Received offer for RV roadhelp plan from Allstate. Beginning price of 79.95 a year with a free $15:00 gas card. Does anyone have any experience or knowlege regarding this service provider?

rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Is it prepaid assistance or just another reinbursement plan?
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The first thing you need to do is call their road service number and ask if your truck breaks down will they tow your whole rig. Even though the salesman insisted they would, I called the road service number of AAA in Kansas and they said no matter what coverage I paid for I was too big and they would leave the trailer by the side of the road. Once I heard that I went with Coach-Net.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You definitely need to know whether they understand what it takes to deal with a large fifthwheel. A lot of the auto service plan companies will try to send out a tow truck intended for a car and that frequently isn't going to do it. That's why we stick with an rv-oriented service. We've been very happy with Good Sam's service but have been recently reading bad reports so time will tell. We had need to call GS while in a small town in Texas last December when our landing gear failed and they performed admirably. I hope the bad reports we're hearing lately are anomalies and not becoming the norm.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I have had two major failures on my present RV (not a Montana) which required a call to Good Sam Roadside assistance. In the first instance, a tow truck had to come from Amarillo to Dalhart (almost 90 miles). It took a while, but the driver came with an adequate low-boy trailer and loaded our 34' fifth wheel onto it. He took back roads into Amarillo because the highway had overpasses which he could not clear. My point is, though it took some time, Good Sam at least got the kind of equipment needed to get our trailer into Amarillo.

The second time was 40 miles west of West Monroe, LA. This time the driver did not bring a trailer, but he was able to make temporary repairs and followed us back into West Monroe with emergency lights flashing (no more than 40 miles per hour), allowed us to stay in the service yard and made major repairs the next morning and got us on the way home by 10:00 o'clock.

Both times, we were frustrated by the time it took, but after all we look back and are thankful for the kind of assistance we received. The cost for towing in each of these cases would have been expensive, I'm sure.

Again, my main point is that having an RV specific assistance plan really did make a difference. My hunch is that the providers in every plan take a bit too long in arranging for the best "deal" they can get, and that they all seem to operate in the same way and use many of the same local contractors. Sometimes it works out better than at other times.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Having been an owner of a towing co., I recommend that you choose an RV specific co.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
For 23 years we have been some serious cheerleaders for Good Sam. Rah rah.

After yesterday's experience, a huge reality check for us, we no longer are their number 1 fan.

That said, padredw, SteveR and DQDicks' comments are very insightful. A service provider that will leave your 5er on the side of the road because they just have no idea what to do with it, no good.

But, there are times that we do not need a lowboy flat bed trailer, and all we need is the simple tow truck with some tire changing equipment available and a dude that actually knows HOW to change a tire.

And, what we expected of Sam was that they would know what to send, and not fall back to some scripted verbiage, saying they MUST send out the big trucks and the big guns for a tire change, leaving you stranded on the side of the road in a highly populated area for up to 4 to 6 hours.

If we were in the boonies and if we had the sort of failure that padredw had, a delay of several to many hours would be expected. But, if it is a flat tire, why do we need that sort of service provider?

And, pray tell, why is it that it is feeling like Sam has employees that do not understand what we need?? They certainly used to.

All that said, the point made that they all use the same local contractors is right on. And, if one of the providers pays better than the other one, who do you think the tow truck driver is going to respond to first. The company/provider that pays! Ask your local tow truck companies, most will be bluntly honest with you.

But, check out the company, and despite all the bad stuff we are hearing these days, both CountryGuy and I believe we still need a company that will not leave Tana on the side of the road.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
When we called AAA for a tire they said it would be a while to get a truck to put our trailer on--I explained to them that all we needed was a tire changed--they then called me back and said they had called s company and they told them they couldn't handle our size rig--they then contacted another one and called me back to tell me who was coming. That was good then I could call the tow company direct to find out when they would be there. I do tell them that we need someone with a jack that can handle a 7 ton trailer so they understand what we need. The worst time we had getting someone was outside Goshen--seems strange.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I have Allstate Motor Club for years but had problems when I needed to use it. I now have Coach Net and have only used it once as I locked myself out of my Honda. I would not use Allstate as they pulled a bait and switch of plans on me!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

The first thing you need to do is call their road service number and ask if your truck breaks down will they tow your whole rig. Even though the salesman insisted they would, I called the road service number of AAA in Kansas and they said no matter what coverage I paid for I was too big and they would leave the trailer by the side of the road. Once I heard that I went with Coach-Net.
I think calling them is a very good suggestion.

Back in 2005 we blew the turbo hose off our previous truck while towing. Good Sam ERS sent out two tow trucks. One to tow the truck to the dealer and the other to take the Montana to an rv park. They both went first to the rv park so I could help get the Montana leveled and connected and then I went with them to take the truck to the dealer.

You want to know for sure that your service will not leave your Montana or your truck sitting on the side of the road.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

My roadside service plan.

2 jacks, 6 24 inch 4X4’s, 2 24 by 24 inch pieces of ¾ plywood, a tool box, CB radio and a cell phone.

The first time I had to use these items was the 4th week we had the trailer.

Works great for me!

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

2 jacks, 6 24 inch 4X4’s, 2 24 by 24 inch pieces of ¾ plywood, a tool box, CB radio and a cell phone.

Works great for me!

How would that of helped when on a Sunday morning GS towed both truck and trailer to a park and put us in our space. They pulled the truck out from under the Montana so we could get setup and came back first thing Monday morning to tow the truck in for repairs.

helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
It is a prepaid plan. I am checking with Coach-Net now. Their rates look reasonable.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How has service been with Coach-Net for those who have that service?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
These are just some of the benefits for California and Nevada residents from AAA Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan. It has three tiers of service: Classic ($57/year); Plus ($91/year) and Premier ($119) membership. Additional cost for a second person on the service.

We have the Premier membership for EACH of us ($119 for first person & $74 for second person) and here is just some of what the Premier membership provides for EACH member:

AAA Premier Membership level provides each Member with Emergency Road Service up to four (4) times in a Membership year:

---Towing anywhere free within 200 Miles of one service event each year.
---Towing anywhere free within 100 miles for the other three service events each year.

$300 RV Towing Reimbursement - Get $300 covered towards the tow of your RV.

Free Emergency Fuel and Delivery - We deliver enough gas to get you to the next gas station. You don’t pay for the gas or the delivery service.

$500 Motor Vehicle Return Coverage - Covers to $500 for your vehicle to be returned home if a car trip can't be completed due to injury or illness.

$1,500 Road Trip Interruption and Delay Coverage - If your trip is delayed overnight due to a vehicle breakdown, accident or illness, we’ll cover your lodging, meals and transportation expenses.

$25,000 Emergency Medical Transportation - We’ll cover your evacuation if you get injured or sick and are at least 100 miles from home.

Mobile Battery Service – Will come and test your battery and make on-the-spot replacement with a new battery. $25 discount on a new battery for AAA members.

One Day FREE Car Rental with a Tow

$100 Locksmith Reimbursement for Car and Home

As with everything, there is fine print to read so I have included a link to it:
http://calstate.aaa.com/membership/c...and-conditions

I try to remember to research online before a trip and find AAA tow stations in the areas we will be at and print out a list of them. I find that if we do require help, it's much easier to call those places first and talk with them, THEN call AAA for a tow and give them the info of what we found.

Sometimes the AAA person on the phone I am talking with is located in another state and has absolutely no idea of where we are or who to call for us. With a little research done ahead of time, it has made it much, much easier on us when we do need to call for roadside assistance.

We once broke down about 10 miles from the campground we were headed to and needed a tow for our Montana as the truck was *kaput*. Luckily, another MOC member was already at that campground and came and towed our Montana to it. We hadn't realized that we had the RV tow service at the time.

I'm not sure if the MOCTAPS is still up and running here at the MOC Forum but that is always another alternative to use if a MOC member gets in a real bind and needs assistance or just even advice on services in the area.

Happy and safe travels!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I learned in 2007 on our Alaska trip (15,000 miles and 4 months) that I had to be able to do most everything. Primarily because cell phones did not work. I carry a 12 Ton bottle jack, extension bar to break loose the lug nuts, air compressor (DC and AC), good spare tire (not one over 6 years old), safety warning triangles to place on the road, gloves, mats to place under the RV for me to lie down on, 2X4's, torque wrench. Yes, I have changed several tires on the road side. And I have loaned my equipment to my roadside service provider and told him to get dirty! I used Progressive but will be changing to GS for the future. BUT I am still going to be equipped to do most of the typical jobs. And on a couple of incidents, other RVers stopped and an oil drilling company service truck--that guy had everything! All were really appreciated.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

These are just some of the benefits for California and Nevada residents from AAA Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan. It has three tiers of service: Classic ($57/year); Plus ($91/year) and Premier ($119) membership. Additional cost for a second person on the service.

We have the Premier membership for EACH of us ($119 for first person & $74 for second person) and here is just some of what the Premier membership provides for EACH member:

AAA Premier Membership level provides each Member with Emergency Road Service up to four (4) times in a Membership year:

---Towing anywhere free within 100 miles for the other three service events each year.

$300 RV Towing Reimbursement - Get $300 covered towards the tow of your RV.

Free Emergency Fuel and Delivery - We deliver enough gas to get you to the next gas station. You don’t pay for the gas or the delivery service.

$500 Motor Vehicle Return Coverage - Covers to $500 for your vehicle to be returned home if a car trip can't be completed due to injury or illness.

$1,500 Road Trip Interruption and Delay Coverage - If your trip is delayed overnight due to a vehicle breakdown, accident or illness, we’ll cover your lodging, meals and transportation expenses.

$25,000 Emergency Medical Transportation - We’ll cover your evacuation if you get injured or sick and are at least 100 miles from home.

Mobile Battery Service – Will come and test your battery and make on-the-spot replacement with a new battery. $25 discount on a new battery for AAA members.

One Day FREE Car Rental with a Tow

$100 Locksmith Reimbursement for Car and Home

As with everything, there is fine print to read so I have included a link to it:
http://calstate.aaa.com/membership/c...and-conditions

I try to remember to research online before a trip and find AAA tow stations in the areas we will be at and print out a list of them. I find that if we do require help, it's much easier to call those places first and talk with them, THEN call AAA for a tow and give them the info of what we found.

Sometimes the AAA person on the phone I am talking with is located in another state and has absolutely no idea of where we are or who to call for us. With a little research done ahead of time, it has made it much, much easier on us when we do need to call for roadside assistance.

We once broke down about 10 miles from the campground we were headed to and needed a tow for our Montana as the truck was *kaput*. Luckily, another MOC member was already at that campground and came and towed our Montana to it. We hadn't realized that we had the RV tow service at the time.

I'm not sure if the MOCTAPS is still up and running here at the MOC Forum but that is always another alternative to use if a MOC member gets in a real bind and needs assistance or just even advice on services in the area.

Happy and safe travels!
Margee, they limit you to one event per year? That just wouldn't work well for fulltimers. We may go 3 or 4 years without needing them but then might need them twice in the same year.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I sure hope your experience is not the way GS is going to be from now on. The last two times we needed a flat tire changed they sent out someone with a commercial pickup, jack and tools, and they changed the tire for us. The time we needed the truck towed, back in 2005, they sent two tow trucks. One was for the truck. The other was a larger tow truck to take our Montana to the rv park of our choice (I'm sure there are distance limits on that).

If your experience is their new norm then they'll lose a lot of customers. In any case, there is no excuse for what they did to you.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Steve,

We have the AAA Premier Membership level and it provides each Member with Emergency Road Service up to four (4) times in a Membership year:

Since Doug and I each have the service, we actually have double the benefits so we get 2 tow services up to 200 miles per year and then another 6 tow services within 100 miles per year.

Some years we don't use it, but the years we do, it certainly has paid for itself.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Works great for me!

How would that of helped when on a Sunday morning GS towed both truck and trailer to a park and put us in our space. They pulled the truck out from under the Montana so we could get setup and came back first thing Monday morning to tow the truck in for repairs.
Hi

I have been Rving now for 20 years. Started with a PopUp then a HY-Lo now the Montana.

Even thought the Montana has been the poorest performer I have never been towed or had to have road service.

When the tires failed on the Montana I found that on my wake around when I picked the trailer up after the dealer had worked on it for 2 days.

I have been stuck in commercial RV parks twice but the jacks and blocks got me out without any tow.

When the front legs fell down on the road at 60 MPH I used a couple of cargo straps to hold them up until I got to the dealer.

When the frame failed I used a cargo strap like you see on semi-trailer to fasten a 4X4 to the frame and towed it 500 miles home and did my own repair.

If you ad up the premium cost for 20 years I can pay for a 50 mile tow and brake even.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote