Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Boondocking, don't waste the cool-before-hot-water

This is a great idea, I did something similar in my home to have instant hot water 40' from my water heater. I use a small pump and a crossover line. You have to overcome the water pressure issue to get the water back if you don't have a dedicated return line.
The below article has a picture showing a 12 volt solenoid valve.

RV plumbing "mod" saves wasted not-so-hot water

For boondockers, staying out in the "wilds" and away from civilization for as long as possible is often a priority. When we boondocked for entire winters on the desert, water was a primary concern – how do you stretch 40 gallons of fresh water between two people for as long as possible?

The usual water conservation techniques always apply: Take the "Navy shower," as an example. Step in the shower, wet yourself down, turn off the water. Soap up. Turn on water, rinse off. It's practically a contest to see who can use the least amount of water and still come out clean. Other water conservation techniques come into play – save the dish water for flushing the toilet. We've even heard of extreme measures – one RVer uses a bucket and takes gray water out of his holding tank to flush the pot. Not so sure on that one – our gray water never smelled good enough to bring back inside the rig.

But what about wasted water when waiting for hot water to make its seemingly sluggish way from the water heater all the way out to the faucet when you're waiting to wash your hands, dishes, etc? Some (ourselves included) have used a jug or pan to collect that otherwise clean, fresh water, and use it later for "cold water" purposes. But it can be a bit of a hassle, and if you're using a tankless "instant hot" heater, or if your conventional water heater is a long way from the faucet, you can collect quite a bit of tepid water while waiting. Here's an RV modification to think about.

Rather than collecting that tepid water in a pan, instead, simply re-route it with a modified plumbing scheme to send it back to the fresh water tank. How so? By putting a "T" in the water line that supplies the "hot" side of your faucet. One of the T outputs routes to the faucet, and the other side to an add-on line that routes back to the fresh water tank inlet. The trick is to put a valve in the line headed back to the fresh tank. When you want hot water at the faucet, leave the faucet turned off, but open the re-route valve long enough to ensure you really have hot water on location. Now close the valve, and use the faucet – and have hot water readily available.

You could really trick this idea out by using a 12-volt electrically operated solenoid valve in place of a standard water valve. Push a button at the sink, the solenoid opens, shunting tepid water back to the fresh tank; when the hot has arrived, let loose of the "normally open momentary contact push" style button. Here's one solenoid you could use, for less than $25.00.

Of course, you'll need access to 12 volts, and a way to route the "new" line back to the fresh water tank on your rig. It'd really only make sense if your tank is on the same side of the rig as the faucet(s) you want to modify, but hey, it's a great afternoon "mod" project for the boondocker.

(From RV Boondocking)

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Is, I think you have too much time on your hands! That is an excellent idea!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We just catch it in a dish pan and then either flush the toilet with it or use it for rinse water for the dishes.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We carry a couple of empty gallon water jugs. In the past we have been able to get hot water before we fill the second gallon jug.

Use it to flush.

Like to keep it simple as we usually only boondock a few weeks a year, IF that much.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Ozz, about a year ago I installed a hot water return back to the tank. I bought a 1/4 inch solenoid valve and installed l it in the hot water line going to the outside side shower. Then I cut a tee into the 1/2" vent tubing that runs from the water tank to the fill station on the trailer. I installed a switch by the sink in the bathroom that we turn on to allow the temped water go to the tank.. We usually let it circ for about 20 seconds then try the shower for hot water..

Valve Link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Larry, we do need to get together!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz, we put a "lobster" on our hot water line under one of the sinks in the master bath at the S/B. IT does exactly what you want to do and there is no need for the electrical switch. I think it came from a company in Michigan or Minnesota and it works quite well. You might want to Google it and see what you come up with. When we boondock we use a jug to collect the cold water until it warms up and use that water the same way Carol and Al use theirs! If we can't get a jug under the faucet we use a bowl to collect the water and pour it in the jug for later use.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Ozz, I am sure we will meet down the road in the future. As you know we are in Quartzsite doing some upgrades to our trailer. These include new solar system and inverter also we have changed most of the paper covered trim with red oak including the slides. Right now we are finishing the pergo flooring in the lower area.. But who know where we will head next..
It was great talking to you the other day,..
As for hitches I wish I would of bought the Pull Rite hitch first...