Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
mlh ... you still missed the entire point of my replay to this post ... lotsa Rvers are pulling a 65 mph rated tire at 75+ mph and wondering why the tire eventually comes apart on them. That was my point ... no more ... no less. What several of us have tried to convey to you is when the time comes, rapidly stopping 11-12 tons of camper and truck will better be accomplished at 65 mph than at 75+ mph no matter what the speed limit sign says. Like you mentioned in your own words ... common sense comes into play here. A little speed limit sign trivia here ... When I was younger, several hiways had two posted speeds ... one for cars and another for trucks I believe at one time there was even a day/night speed limit ... the numbers were different colored backgrounds. In closing ... drive how you want to drive, I'm not trying to be Rosco P Coltrane collecting for Boss Hogg.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
One thing I always tell my wife when driving, is just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe. I've been on many roads that were either too rough or some other driving condition was present that I felt it was not safe to go the posted speed so I didn't. As said above too, STOPPING the rig is the issue. Maybe your truck can drive a certain speed, maybe your tires can handle it, but when you have to stop, that is a lot of weight to stop. I compare this to the four wheel drive folks who think just because they're in a 4X4 they can do anything in inclement weather just because they have a little extra traction. Well, same thing it's not the getting going, it's can you stop - which is no different just because you have a 4X4. Just my opinion.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
No I did not miss your point or any one else's point. I said not to exceed your tires speed limit and there are places you should NOT travel as fast as the posted speed. But as some suggest, to say that 75 is always unsafe is not correct. This is not off to the races, It's pulling your camper and using common sense. I-70 in Kansas City and I-80 in Wyoming are far different places and can be treated different.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #24
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Max trailer towing speed for the state of Kansas is 70 mph

Wyoming is 75mph interstate; 65 on 2 lane hwys;55 unless posted
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Saying that speed limits are safe because some agency said so doesn't make it true. I am afraid that politics has more to do with a particular states speed limits than research.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I agree Stiles!
the reason i posted the link to the state towing laws is that it looks like that is the only thing that will slow some folks down. If you are going to push the limits at least keep it within the "legal" limits
i also believe that 65 mph is safer than anything faster than 65 mph
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I love driving fast! (sometimes over the speed limit) NO mostly,No check that... ALWAYS in my sports car but towing my 5th? no freakin way! Right lane it and nice and easy does it and enjoy the ride! works for me without a problem for 15 years and yes i have had the dreaded MARATHONS for all those years...lucky? maybe or maybe I,m doing something right
Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #28
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
On my latest trip out west I found several interstates that the legal speed limit is 80. Don't think I would like pulling the 5er that fast. And trust me, I know speed very well after 31 yrs racing cars. Common sense is the easiest answer. If you use it, you will be safe!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #29
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I'll drive 60 to 62 no matter what the speed limit and conserve fuel AND be safer. I'm not in that big a hurray and trying to enjoy the trip. I don't care to be near someone driving 70 to 80 no matter what the speed limit. You have a blowout at that speed and you are going to have your hands full if it is on a front tire of your truck. Each to their own.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

I'm still trying to learn, but aren't all ST tires rated for 65 mph? That was my main concern. Lynwood, you run LT tires don't you?

There are ST tires that are F rated with 110 PSI but not sure what speed that tire is rated for. Seems like it would be greater than 65 mph, but just not sure.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just saw an accident this past weekend where an RV'er was going 55 mph in a 75 mph zone. He misjudged the distance of the truck pulling a horse trailer in the left hand lane behind him and you guessed it, pulled right out in front of the passing truck. Needless to say, 4 horses were put down that afternoon along with a rolled over horse trailer and truck. The driver did all he could to avoid the collision and ultimately ended up taking the center median to avoid impact. The RV'er had no idea what he caused and continued on down the road. Thank goodness for the other drivers as they were able to stop the rv'er a little ways down the road. Speed of the horse trailer/truck was 68mph...a speed at which many of us tow at frequently. Bottom line, folks doing 20 mph under the speed limit are potentially as much as a hazard as those towing at 65-70mph. I know what speed I am comfortable with towing and that's all that matters to me. To each their own...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
there are only 5-6 states with 75mph TOWING speed limits
There is not one state where 80 mph is legal when towing a trailer
Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yes there is, matter a fact according to AAA there are several...Here in Texas they did away with the cars one speed and trucks another. Now in Texas, if the speed limit is 80 you are not breaking the law doing 80 in a truck or towing. Going to be interesting to see what they say about 85 mph when they bump it up in some areas as they say they are looking at doing. Here is AAA site http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-speed-limits/ An interesting law is Oregon's where if your towing over 8000 lbs you must stay in the right lane. Of course Ohio and Ill. really blow since 55 mph speed limit applies to most 5ers. Now in Az. it is just as long as your trailer does not sway.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

An interesting law is Oregon's where if your towing over 8000 lbs you must stay in the right lane.
Yeah, that law is followed about as much as the one saying not to talk on your cell phone without a hands-free device!!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #35
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah, I doubt a lot of those limits and laws are enforced on that list...If they were there would be a lot of moaning and groaning on the forums lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Great discussion! We all have our opinion about how fast is safe and that will vary with a number of variables, road, traffic conditions, truck, tires, weather are a few that come to mind. Not every body agrees with me, maybe nobody and that is OK. I have always said any time 2 people always agree, Just means one is not thinkings. No body could accuse us of always agreeing or not thinking. Thanks!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #37
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Plenty of us agree that 75-80 MPH is not as safe as 65 MPH no matter the equipment, road conditions, etc.
There are also plenty of us that add the additional safety factor of greater probability of control in an unforeseen upset in the current conditions. and for me imposing greater risks to others on the highway is also a factor.
Some folks THINK it's safe to tow a 13000 lb travel trailer without weight distributing hitches and sway control. these thinking people cause the majority of RV trailer towing accidents. Denying the risks is hard for me to understand; acknowledging the risks and deciding to push the limit is your choice and a little easier for me to understand.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #38
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
For your reading pleasure and perusal.

I ran my factory installed E rated Marathons at 90psi for 20,000+ miles with no problems on my 3605RL until I replaced due to them being 4 years old. Tread was still fairly good on them too, no bubbles or bulges. Did occassional 75mph stretches.

Here is the text from a Goodyears PSB stating that by inflating 10 psi over the sidewall max cold inflation pressure, it allows a 75mph maximum speed:

Product Service Bulletin
Important Information To Better Serve Your Customers
This PSB is Applicable to: U.S. & Canada
May 18, 2011
PSB #2011-13
TO: Goodyear Company Owned Outlets, Goodyear Contract Dealers,
Goodyear Canada Inc. Dealers
Subject: Tires for Trailer Use Only: General Information (replaces PSB 2006-06)
This bulletin provides important information to help your customers obtain the best performance from “Special Trailer” tires. Please review the following important points with your trailer tire customers.
Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires
Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.

Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
o
Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

o
Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o
If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
o
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.
General Information
Important trailer tire care information and load / inflation tables are available on Goodyear’s Recreational Vehicle web site at www.goodyear.com/rv. Encourage your trailer tire customers to use this information.

Drivers should always obey posted speed limits and reduce speeds when necessary based on vehicle, road, weather, or traffic conditions.

Many trailer manufactures establish the recommended tire inflation pressure based on the 65 mph (104 km/h) rated speed for ST tires. In these cases, the ST tires should be inflated 10 psi (69 kPa) higher than the trailer placard for speeds up to 75 mph (121 km/h) (wheel must be rated for this higher inflation pressure). If the trailer manufacturer’s placard specifically states that the cold inflation pressure is suitable for speeds above 65 mph (104 km/h), no additional inflation pressure adjustment is required.
THE GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY, GOODYEAR CANADA INC
PRODUCT SERVICE DEPARTMENT
Page 2 of 2

Light Truck (“LT”) designated tires do not have the same load carrying capacity as ST tires. If LT tires are used on trailer applications, the inflation pressure and/or tire sizing will need to be adjusted to match the load carrying requirements of the trailer.

Cold inflation pressures should be checked every morning during trips and monthly while in storage.

Vehicles or trailers should not be overloaded. The tire information placard, vehicle certification labels, and/or owner’s manual should be checked for the maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the fully loaded trailer must not exceed that weight.

Vehicle speed, load and inflation pressures, all of which are within control of the driver, are critical factors for the safe and enjoyable operation of any vehicle.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #39
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
GOOD-GOOGALLY-MOO!
That's all we need! ANOTHER variable to add to this whole tire inflation-speed-limit-marabomb-big-albatross-behind-the- tuned up-drag racing-diesel-ego-truck-trailer-toting-get-out-of-my-way-i-got-10-extra-PSI in-my-marabombs rig discussion! here-i-come-bye-bye!! --ANNND now i can go 80 on some western US highways!!! while pulling my....big-albatross-behind-the- tuned up-drag racing-diesel-ego-truck-trailer-toting-get-out-of-my-way-i-got-10-extra-PSI in-my-marabombs rig! WHOLE-HOLY-SHAVITZKY-BATMAN!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #40
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
LOL I had seen that bulletin, but figured I better not post it. I figured if the things are blowing up right and left anyway apparently, 10 more psi sure wasn't going to help! By the way, on the older trailers wouldn't that have been exceeding the maximum pressure for the wheels anyway?