Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Trk Box Cover

Anyone using the Extang Solid Fold Tonneau truck box cover? I'm interested in buying one for our 2011 GMC 6.5 ft box. I'm wondering if once the cover is opened and is sitting on the box rails whether you are able to tow your 5th wheel without removing the Extang cover.
Our 2010 3150RL has the Mor/ryde hitch pin, which is longer than other hitch pins, so I'm wondering if I'd have a problem leaving the Extang solid fold on the truck. I have my Reese 5th wheel slider hitch set at the highest setting, so I assume I might have enough clearance, but I'm wondering if the front of the Mor/ryde hitch pin would hit the box cover.

Greatly appreciate your thought before I buy the Extang solid fold box cover.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
I'm looking at the same cover so I'm interested in the reply's you get also.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I have one on my truck but I have an 8' bed. I have plenty of room when the cover is in the open folded position. You need to know the height above the bed rails and the length of the unit when folded to be sure it would work. I'd go to a local dealer and talk to them. It's a great unit if it will work.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have an Extang RT roll cover that works fine and gives you more room in the bed than the solid folding model.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Another similar cover that is in 4 sections instead of 3. It would give you more room when folded for your hitch pin. I have one and I don't have to remove mine and I have a short bed.
http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've seen folding soft covers get tore up by something. The solid folding cover would provide more durability.

I have an original 4 section BAKFlip for my 8' bed. Each section is about 24 inches and three sections need to be folded back far enough to clear the hitch and pin. I do wish I only had to fold two back but it covers the hitch head by about 6 inches (hence one more fold). I'd expect that the Extang 3 sections for an 8' bed might provide three section of less than 32 inches each and the third section should clear the hitch and pin.

If you have a short or long bed, you might try calling Extang to get measurement of the sections, then compare it against how much room you need for your towable.

The Extang version looks much stronger than my BAKFlip, but has less sections. The BAKFlip does have the benefit of not having to be removed (it's heavy) when you need the bed and only 2-3 inches is lost to it when it's flipped back against the rear of the cab, but it can be moved with a bit of huffing and puffing (I've done it several times depending on the cargo). The BAKFlip also fits between the bed rails and keeps the tops of the rails available to bed rail hooks and other stuff like that. The disadvantages to the BAKFlip is top surface strength and probably longterm durability. Mine is pretty beat up (6 years old) and I've had to refasten (glue, screws, tape) stuff to maintain it. I'm guessing the Extang would last longer before coming apart. That said, the newer versions of the BAKFlip are supposed to be more durable.

Keep us posted on what you decide and how it's working out for you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I have a BAK Flip for my 2011 F250 with the 6.5' box and it will not work with my Montana with the Moreryde hitch. I would think the Extang and your Duramax would be the same. I have to take it off when towing or fold it against the back window. It worked with my previous fifth wheel that had a standard pin. I am waiting for BAK Industries to release the Roll BAK cover in March to replace it. This cover is made of aluminum and actually rolls up like a vinyl cover, so you can roll it as far as you need to for proper clearance.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

I have one on my truck but I have an 8' bed. I have plenty of room when the cover is in the open folded position. You need to know the height above the bed rails and the length of the unit when folded to be sure it would work. I'd go to a local dealer and talk to them. It's a great unit if it will work.
Thanks Lee for the heads up on the length.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Thank you for your input. I went down to an Extang dealer and lifted up the Extang solid fold cover and I think it weighs around 40 or 50 lbs, so its not going to be difficult to lift off the truck and it should fit in to the basement of the monty. It would be great if I didn't have to take it off when towing. I'm sold on the construction of the unit; it is very sturdy and I should be able to stand on it to wash the front of the monty. It has 4 strong clamps that keep it attached to the box, so it appears there really is nothing to wear out. I think I'll wait to see if I get additional input from members that are using the same unit and then make a decision on whether to buy or not.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Does the cover lay flat to top of bed rails or does it stick above when folded flat?
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
It sits on top of the bed rails. To open it you pull two quick release hooks and fold it back. If yoy want to remove it you then unscrew by hand two more hooks and lift it off. There is nothing attached to the truck when it's off.
I bought it to withstand heavy snow loads and found I can stand on it also. If you can lock your tailgate items stored in the bed are as secure as being in the truck cab. It works great for me.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Well, I bought the Extang solid fold truck box cover. I opened it and left it on the box rails and backed up and hooked up to the Mor/ryde hitch pin. Because I have a slight hill to back up on to the hitch its hard to tell if the hitch will hit the cover when I make turns, but it appears I should have enough clearance. I'll have to try it on level ground and make a decision at that time on whether I can leave the cover on the box rails or not. I bought it because it seems to be the most solid box cover with the least number of parts that can fail. On my first truck I had a roll and lock roll top cover, and because of the Chinook winds and changing winter temperatures it kept freezing up on me. On my 2nd truck I have a vinyl roll top type that I rolled by hand, but it didn't provide a lot of security and the vinyl seemed to be wearing out. If I can't tow with the Extang solid fold I am prepared to take it off and store it in the monty basement and put it back on when I'm not towing; it will be a bit of a hassel, but I guess I can live with it.

Thank you for all the input that I received.

David
Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
mrtgraz1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11692
Thats what i have on my 6.5 foot bed, ford f350 with a mor/ryde hitch and it fits just fine .
mrtgraz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mrtgraz1

Thats what i have on my 6.5 foot bed, ford f350 with a mor/ryde hitch and it fits just fine .
So you can tow with the cover folded back toward the cab and it doesn't hit? Sounds great. What year truck do you have please?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
mrtgraz1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11692
I have a 2005 ford f350 4 door lariet. with a super glide mor/ryde hitch, with a Extang solid 3 section fold up cover with a 6 and a half foot bed, and it never hits, I love it.
mrtgraz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
I do not have the mor/ryde but I don't think it will make a difference. If anyone knows otherwise please let us know.