Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Fuel Prices

With all the turmoil in the middle east, I suppose the fuel prices will increase. What do the MOC members see as "the number" that limits their travel. I've heard talking heads saying the price may double. At $4.50, I will shave 2000 miles off our summer trip. After that we will only do campgrounds we can reach in a day.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Are you saying that you are paying $4.50 per gal right now or is that the doubled price? I am paying $3.53 per gal at this time. If they double that price I will
be paying at least $7.06 per gal. which means that my backyard will make a nice campground for most of the camping season.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
A couple of years ago we ended up paying $5.35 a gallon in California. When we started in NY state it was $3.35. It didn't stop us because the price rose while we were on a long planned trip.
When the price gets to that point and we are home, it will make us think twice for long trips. (over 350 miles).
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
[quote]Originally posted by pineranch

With all the turmoil in the middle east, I suppose the fuel prices will increase. What do the MOC members see as "the number" that limits their travel. I've heard talking heads saying the price may double. At $4.50, I will shave 2000 miles off our summer trip. After that we will only do campgrounds we can reach in a day.
Mike
[/quote
I should have stated "when it gets to $4.50".
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Well, being a thousand miles from home and still a few weeks before we head back I will have to pay the going price. We paid $3.30 a gal today in Tucson AZ. A barrel of crude oil right now is at $91.05, but has been in that area for some time but the price at the pump keeps going up (supply and demand you know ). I guess it will have to go a quite bit higher before I change my lifestyle. We saved to retire and have fun, and you can't take it with you. Of course the kids wish we would save it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I paid $3.95 for diesel last week. If it gets much over $5.00 I may cut back on longer trips. There are a lot of places close to home that I want to visit.

I received an e-mail the other day that stated we are supposed to have more oil in the US than they do in the middle east. Even if that isn't true, we have a lot, and we need politicians in office who aren't in the pocket of the so called environmentalists who will develop our own resources. JMO (Sorry for the rant)
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The price at the pump is currently in $3.60 for diesel this time around. The most I ever paid was $5.80 when the prices went nuts a couple of years ago. Right now LA and Orange Counties, the prices were $3.70 to $3.75 which is why I went back home to refuel (and saved $.10? yeah right.)

Being retired we stay around the house and don't even take the trailer out. Because of this I have less tolerance for prices than those of you who MUST travel or even drive to work. I would be a bad example to use for asking what price would stop me, because I'm already there. I still have had to make some trips and I whine about it, but you do what you gotta do. For you others that have to pay the price, it just means less desserts to buy.

Why do I have a terrible feeling that these prices increases are here to stay. I don't think we'll ever see under $3.00 any more.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, I'll take the blame. In Jan 2005 I bought my first Diesel truck, fuel $2.149, been going up ever since, althought it did slide back for it's high of $5 plus, fueled up the new truck the other day, $3.659. We sure don't eat out as much, but we've waited years to retire and travel, so I guess we'll just have to spend more time at each place we travel to.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Paid $3.15 for diesel in Casa Grande Fry's. Stations at the I10 and Casa Grande Exit are closer to $3.35 gal. Seems the interstate stations are the first to rip us off. We don't like the higher prices, of course, but we have travelled thru the high prices a couple years ago. Being a 1000 Trails member means we can travel quite a bit where there are 1000 Trails parks. Not paying that nightly fee helps quite a bit. We stayed 210 nights in 1000 Trails last year. That's about $3,500 worth of fuel.....

Since we are nearing the end of our "constant travelling" we MAY be looking at transferring our membership to another MOC member.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
When I bought my truck in 1999 the price of diesel here was .89 cents per gal. My first long trip was to lancaster pa. We stoped in Baltimore to fill up and it was 1.59 I only got enough to get to lancaster. I told my DW I would not pay that much for diesel but when we got to lancaster it was 1.69 a gal. I remember that statement very well. sure wish I could still pay that price. But alast time goes on.LOL
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
We have found that when you total all our bills up for the months we are on the road vs the ones we are not our spending is almost the same. At the most we spend 5% more when on the road. Most of the time it is closer to 2%. The difference is how the funds are spent. We spend more on fuel when traveling but we don't have to heat/cool the house back home. The utilities are also less. Food is the big difference. We actually eat out less when traveling vs being at home. So that turns in to a big savings.

In 2008 when fuel shot up we did shop for fuel and buy when cheapest, even if we had 1/2 a tank. We were still pulling with the Ford then but with the transfer tank we had a 105 gallon carrying capacity. I also slowed down to a speed that gave me the best fuel economy.

$5 fuel forces us to be resourceful but does not keep us from traveling. We are actually more likely to cancel smaller trips instead of big trips. We enjoy the big trips more so it is worth saving and preparing for them. Fuel would have to get in the $8~$10 range to keep us at home. Otherwise we will figure out a way to make it happen.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
When we bought our first diesel, diesel cost less than "regular gas". I even calculated that with around 50,000 miles I would pay for the engine. Figuring 1/3 better fuel economy and the already lower price for diesel. But there were the other reasons we bought a diesel too.

Now I'm not sure why diesel costs more than gas. It costs less to refine it, there's plenty of volume, and oh well, I'll stop.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Supply and demand. Diesel is at a high demand right now and refinneries are having a tough time keeping up.
High demand, higher cost by the end user.
Only when and if diesel is stock piled with high inventories will the price slide lower than gasoline.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

OK, I'll take the blame. In Jan 2005 I bought my first Diesel truck, fuel $2.149, been going up ever since, althought it did slide back for it's high of $5 plus, fueled up the new truck the other day, $3.659. We sure don't eat out as much, but we've waited years to retire and travel, so I guess we'll just have to spend more time at each place we travel to.
We're with you, Michelle...we got the RV to travel, not set at the storage lot. We are not happy about higher (inflated) fuel costs, but we do not have ANY control over the matter. So, if the price of diesel goes up, and it will, we will just have to pay (and complain to anyone who will listen).
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote