Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My last word on shackles

While I am not sure exactly how many miles Charlie had on his rig, I am certain that the shackles and bushings needed to be replaced with something, either OEM or an upgrade. Beyond denial of any reasonable, truthful person, is the fact that the bushings were worn and the shackle bolt holes were elongated. When I changed my own after 13,000 miles, four of the seven bushings on each side were worn through and I was beginning to get wear on the shackles themselves.

Whether an owner decides to use OEM parts or an upgrade is the owners decision. To imply that it must be the owner's fault because he in some way abused his unit is erroneous. To imply that everyone's experience should be the same as yours is illogical thinking.

I am not criticizing Keystone for using the nylon bushings. I came away from the factory tour with a feeling of greater confidence after observing the manner in which they construct these units. The wear and tear on the bushings make them a necessary focus of attention whether an owner uses OEM or "wet" shackles in the same manner that every owner needs to pay attention to the tires because they wear out and become unserviceable.

Nothing is indestructible. I am not expecting an eternal RV. My desire is that I become aware of the weak points of my Montana so that I can pay proper attention to them and make what I believe to be good decisions about maintaining it. I believe that the shackles are a wear point, stopping short of saying that they are a weak point.

I don't give a royal rip about what Mor/Ryde or Keystone say, I am the one who has to live in and trust my safety to my Montana. I want good, accurate information from each of them, not hype, not denial. I want this information so that I can make the best decisions I can.

I will be checking thoroughly the condition of my shackles at 6,000 miles on my new Big Sky. I will probably change them out to "wet bolt" shackles at or around 12,000 miles. I will do the work myself because I am capable of doing so. This is my choice, not for everyone else.

This is my last word on shackles.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
aww
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Couls not agree more Stiles. Like Breaks, you know there will be wear and you will need to replace them. All you ask is good solid information, either a time period or distance period to check them. Then its up to the individual to descide what they want to do.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I just talked with TM regarding my ride and shackle wear after 6500 miles. The offical word I got re shackle wear is that this is a mnaintnce item and regardles of what milage Montana will not cover it. Even though the unit has a 12 month hitch to bumber warranty. As to my ride problems, they now say if I will bring the unit to Goshon they will now look at it and they will not cover costs of getting there so do I buy something else or wait and take it there next year so they can look at it and tell me that it does wallow down the road
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Stiles,

This thread obviously is closure to another thread - but can't find it. Was it removed - blocked - sensored? I'm just trying to make sense as to what happened to Charlie - or even who Charlie is.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Charlie is 8.1Al and Charlie with Stiles expertise, changed out Charlies OEM shackles with the Dexter wet bolt system at the rally. Since the activity was right next to me I observed the procedure with great interest and made a post in another thread that the OEM shackles when removed were not a pretty sight.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ah - thanks Rich.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Stiles,

This thread obviously is closure to another thread - but can't find it. Was it removed - blocked - sensored? I'm just trying to make sense as to what happened to Charlie - or even who Charlie is.
Here is is
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Hey Stiles, I told my wife one time that I had the last word on something. Wasn't a pretty site. Ever try sleeping on the couch without a pillow or covers? I do think you made your point very well in the OP.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I do not think it was the post we are talking about I was curious about how long the shacklesshould last and I thought it saaid 15000 miles
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mine are coming out Oct 2nd and have about 15K miles on them..We will see what they look like.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #12
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Hey guys, make me smarter, what do you mean by "wet shackles"? Is this an upgrade with grease fittings?

Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bob...Yes..
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #14
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I swapped my shackles out yesterday with the Dexter Wet-bolt Kit which included the grease-able, rubber isolated equalizer. I had about 10,000 miles on my 3400 and the shackles mount were starting to wear, I had elongated mounting holes and deep wear on the some of the shackles but not close to wearing through. WARNING - on the Dexter grease-able shackle bolts - I had one that was not drilled properly and it would not take grease. Had to finish drilling the grease hole and then was able to get grease through it. Make sure the bolts can take grease before you bolt them on.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steves..you should take pic's of the shackles and send them to Keystone as per Keystone after 45K of SIMULATED miles they showed normal wear...I will be taking pic's of mine next week and they will be going to the top..good or bad..
Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #16
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Richfaa - Good suggestion!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 AM   #17
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I must be lucky because I haven`t had the shackle problem only the alignment problem that wore out my tires. Having said that I asked the tech at the alignmrnt shop about the shackle problems others are having. He said that all of the components are related. If your alignment is out this adds stress on other parts of the system so if you are running toe in or out / \ or \ / (exageration but hope you get the point) this also makes your shackle, bolt and bushings being pulled left or right or up and down. By just getting new bolts, bushings and shackle plates without getting it aligned will eventually wear them out again. By having the lube bolts it will just prolong the enevitable. I caught mine in time but was lucky it just wore out my tires prematurely. It made sense to me as the printout he gave me when he did the alignment showed not only the axles were running toe in and out but also left to right so that I was virtually dragging the 5ver along. I did this before my warranty was up at a cost to me but was well worth it. The new tires show no wear whatsoever or do the shackle plates, bolts and bushings. I`ve had the new tires since April,05 and have put on at least 15,000 miles thru Northern Ontario, Michigan, and to Florida (2 times). Sorry for the rant but think about it. I would think Glenn being in the tire business for years knows that the whole suspension system relates to wear and tear.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had the heavy duty wet shackle kit installed today at a local dealership.The shackles have @ 15K miles on them. They were in good condition, I would say "light wear" and we saw nothing that would indicate a clear or present danger...however.. Several of the holes were not round anymore and showed the initial signs of elongating. I would take serious issue with the 45K miles of simulated road testing..there is nothing like the "real thing" We, The dealership mechanic and myself inspected visually before removal and could observe no signs of wear.. My suggestion to the full timers and long timers among us is to take a good look at the shackles even to the point of removal and inspection at about 10K or 12K miles or so. We will be having a chat with Dexter tomorrow..perhaps they would like to take a look at the wear on these shackles and compare them with the 45K miles of simulated road testing.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I will be working on my 04 Mountaineer rolling system next week, as soon as I clear an area in the pole barn. Will be looking at everything tires, bearings, brakes, shackles. I have a lot of miles on the unit. I am wondering if anyone has given a thought about the non grease ball joints on your tow vehicle. Remember when you had twelve or more grease fittings on the front end of your pickups. We now have two on most trucks. If you replace an original non greaseable joint, you wind up with a repacement that has grease fittings. I like thr sign at the dealersip that reads lube oil and filter $$$ . How much grease do they use for two fittings?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #20
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I just hauled off some old junk to the county compactor today. A little while back I put on the Dexter kit with wet bolts and the rubber bumper equalizer. I looked at the old shackles before throwing them away and they were not a pretty sight. The camper was about 1 year old when we bought it in June. The previous owner definitely used it but is neither a fulltimer or longtimer. No one will ever convince me a non lubed shackle kit is any where near as reliable as the wet bolt kit. The side plates are about 2 1/2 times as thick and lubed bronze bushings are head and shoulders above plastic bushings. That doesn't mean they should be forgotten about as they will need ocassional lubing and inspection. I already know my rig tows much better with the rubber equalizer. Saturday I will get to test it as we go to Narvarre Florida. I expect to be very pleased with my investment in time and money.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote