Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Rio Grande Snowbirds

We are retiring in a few years and would like to travel during winter months. We are looking very seriously at Texas, since our kids and grandkids are now living in San Angelo. We plan to visit them for a few weeks to a month in November and then head south for the winter. We are trying to decide if it would be better to be on the coast or in the valley. I'm sure we will try both! I'm really drawn to the Rio Grande because I've been reading your forum and you guys sound like you're having a great time and really have a nice group of people. I am curious as to how cold it gets during the day and at night, on average. I know we can look this up, but I also would like to know if it is a dry temperature. We also wonder what attracts you to this area in particular. We don't want to wish our lives away, but we can't wait to go there! Unfortunately, we can't take more than a week at a time right now for vacations, so traveling there will have to wait until our reirement. It is very cold here in Upstate NY in the winter!!! We will be reading your forum a lot this winter and dreaming.

Nita and Al

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have had about 7 to 10 days of wet uncomfy weather when we were there, about that much both years. Rio Grande people refer to us as Winter Texans, not Snow Birds! They surely make us feel welcome, they are SOOOOOO friendly.

Other than the couple of wet days, we contend with some windy days, if you are gonna out the awning, tie er down GOOD. Sometimes you still have to take and roll er up. Al tells me the weather is comprable to Naples Florida. I think it is wonderful. It is not humid like Houston, that is for sure.

Trips to Mexico are VERY popular. Some of the parks have a LOT of activities for us to partake of.

If you are bored there, it probably is cause you want to be. You can sit, or you can go. Both are nice!

San Angelo, have not been there in a LONG time, need to go back to visit, our second son was born there!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Nita And Al-
I think I can give you the answers to the cold weather that you are looking for. I live about 60 miles south of Houston, west of Galveston about 50 miles, inland about 20 miles from the Gulf. What we normally expect here is three or four nights a winter with sub freezing temps and usually no lower than 28 degrees. However last year we had a freak snow storm on Christmas Eve and 8" snow locally and as much as 13" down towards Victoria. Even Corpus Christi had snow and there was some in the Valley. Even with the snow we only had a couple of nights with the low's about 25 degrees and that was our coldest of the year. Most of the time here it will be low 40's at night and middle to upper 60's during the day sometimes into the 70's. We do get more clouds and rain than the Valley. The record low temp ever in Houston is 7 degrees, so it can get cold here. That winter we went 96 straight hours of sub-freezing temps, which was a big thing for us as we are not prepared for such an occurance.

I grew up in a small town about 160 miles south of San Antonio, about half way between Corpus Christi and Laredo. The winter temps down there average about 8-10 degrees warmer than where I live now. The wind does blows quite hard down there, especially from the south ahead of front that is pushing down.

Each winter is different, some will be wet and cooler and some will be dryer and wamer than normal. For January and February the Rio Grande Valley will probably suit your wants better. The last week of February, March and first couple of weeks in April are very pleasant here on the Upper Gulf Coast. Weather also around this time in the Austin, San Antonio area are also quite pleasant.

You are correct in your thinking about the San Angelo/Abilene area. After Thanksgiving it starts getting rather cold in that part of Texas. Usually the coldest will be the last two weeks of December and through January. I have relatives that have lived there and we have visited around Christmas and it can get cold that time of year.

A Texas winter will be much better than Upstate NY and you will enjoy two or three months here that compare to late spring in your area.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have been Winter Texans for about 6 yrs. now. Agree with Charlie that Dec./Jan are the coldest. We haven't seen it below freezing yet. High 30's is about as bad as we have seen. 70's by mid-day. I am talking about the McAllen area which is about as far south as you can go without being in Mexico. We like it so much we bought a lot to park our rig every winter.
We got our first snow since 1870 and the first white xmas ever last winter. It was gone by 10 am. Twice last winter I couldn't golf at 7 am because of frost on the greens. Very few rainy days and when it does it is welcome. It is windy, as Carol mentioned, but it is also a welcome wind most days as it does get warm.
Hope this is of some help. Maybe we will see you in the valley someday.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Thanks for all the info. Looking at weather reports from different regions that show average high and low temperatures are somehow not the same as hearing about it from all of you. The Rio Grande area really sounds like the best place to be during the cold winter months. I like the term "Winter Texans" much better than Snowbirds. Kinda makes you feel more welcome, and a part of everything. Can't wait to hear about all your goings on this winter. Although we can't be there, we are greatful to have a roof over our heads a nice fireplace to cozy up to this winter. Sure do wonder what it will be like this winter for the poor families who lost everything during the hurricane.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I think some will have a roof over their heads for the first time from what I have been reading about the poverty in the area.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Consider that citrus fruit grow in the RGV, that is the marker that I like to use as an indicator of a warm climate.

BILL:
CHECK YOUR SIG FILE. Mapanee? (or is that where you moved???)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be snowbirding the winter of 06/07//Texas/ Arz/ Fla..may try all three before deciding on where to settle.. We see a lot of cold temps in the RGV..we don't like that.Being in Northern Ohio we are looking for area that does not have cold weather. Spent a lot of time in the Tuson , Arz area in the winter months and to us it was warm???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote