Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
Satellite for HD TV

Any words of wisdom for getting a Satellite installed on top of a 5er. I've had the portable and don't want that again so an installed one is what I am looking for. HD is important as is two TV's being able to have one channel on the LR TV and another channel on the BR TV.

kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the SK-SWM3 TRAV'LER DIRECTV Slimline by Winegard on my coach. Works well with all 3 of the TV's in the coach and I like that I can be watching a different channel on each TV at the same time. I originally wanted the KVH TracVision dome, but could not due to the angle of the roof. Now that I have the Trav'ler, I am glad I do. No issues with this dish in rain, snow, wind, or clouds. In the last 2 years, I believe I've only lost the signal 2 or 3 times and that was due to significant thunderstorms/tornado activity. I'd go with this set up again on the next coach, should the need/want to upgrade the coach ever happen.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had the SK-1000 TRAV'LER DISH Network 1000 installed 1 1/2 years ago, along with two receivers, by CW in Las Vegas. It was almost an entire day to install, and once we got the receivers programed with help from the Dish support people, we have had zero problems. Of course, the down side is, having it on the roof, at times, limits your ability to receive signal if you are blocked by trees. In the time we have had it, only a couple of times we could not get signal. Also, with Dish, we just call there support number and change our physical location if we are staying more than a couple of days and want local channels, otherwise, we just do without locals as we travel. I'm not sure about Direct TV with local service. It sure is nice, after setting up and running slides out, to just push the power button on the control box, and the dish starts moving around, ending up locked onto three satellites. It will take maybe 5-10 minutes for the receivers to program themselves to new local channels.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
We have had the Winegard Trav'ler Slimline on the last three RVs. Never a problem. We have 3 DVRs connected with 2 feeds to the living room, 2 to the bedroom, and one in the outside cabinet. HD on all TVs. We have DirecTV. On sale now at Camping World. Here is a link: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-antenna/68944
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Directv will not allow us to change your physical address. They require a mobile service for an additional$15.00 per month and the programming comes frmy New York City
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
We have the Winneguard. 3005 HD Antenna also, and after years of setting up a portable antenna, we love the convenience. We have had a couple of occasions where a tree blocked our signal, but rarely. We have Direct TV with two DVRs. I have an HD splitter on the one in the bedroom, which is then routed to the basement outside TV. I have to change channels from the bedroom for the outside TV ( saves me having to have a third receiver).

The downside to both satellite providers is when you are over 300-400 miles from your stick house, you need to call and change your equipment address to get any of your "local" channels which is where the major networks (abc,nbc,cbs) are carried. On Direct TV that means about 10-15 minutes on their 800 number trying to get a live person to understand what you want to do. For Direct TV , it is rare to get anyone on the line who even knows what an RV is and can relate to what you want to do. I have heard that Dish is more RV savvy.

Lastly, once you commit to either Dish or Direct, you cannot change without a several hundred dollar modification to your antenna.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
just a note, you can only get one satellite at a time with the set up you are considering. what that means is that if your wife wants to watch a show on a different channel the same time you want to watch another channel, it won't work.
you might want to talk to the antenna maker.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We have a Dish Tailgater and just love it. I would never want anything else. By the way Dish network is very good at changing the service address so that you receive all the locals for your new location, one quick call, less than 2 minutes and we are good to go.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
MazBoy, please say it isn't so!! I can't imagine having to watch what the DW loves and I am sure she doesn't want to watch NASCAR, MMA etc.
kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Directv will not allow us to change your physical address. They require a mobile service for an additional$15.00 per month and the programming comes frmy New York City
We have had a Travler Dish on top of the last 2 Montanas (DirectTV). We used to call and change our physical address constantly when we traveled, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. Some of the customer service folks didn't like it but they did it. No one at DirectTV ever mentioned an extra charge or changing our plan. This year we have just been using antenna for local channels while traveling and only call for physical address change if we are going to be in one spot for a month or longer. Our crank up antenna generally brings in all local channels really clear, just not HD.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
If I am away from home, I don't call DirecTV to change my address. I just raise the local antenna and receive the local digital signals from off air.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kiltedpig

MazBoy, please say it isn't so!! I can't imagine having to watch what the DW loves and I am sure she doesn't want to watch NASCAR, MMA etc.
With the Travler, you get HD and multiple feeds so two receivers can each watch different channels. Eddie must be using Dish on a Carryout portable.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

...Our crank up antenna generally brings in all local channels really clear, just not HD.
Huh??? Most OTA stations are now transmitting in HD and the standard Montana antenna receives them just fine. You should have HD on your TV

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
We had the Winegard Traveler dish installed as part of our purchase agreement for the Monty. Being from Canada we do not get support when we are in the US and with Shaw Direct's new HD satellite we do not receive the signal very far south of the 49th.
We receive 2 satellites and turning on the dish is about the 4th thing I do when setting up, it finds the satellites and locks on in about 5 minutes, sometimes tweeking may take a couple more minutes.

We have a receiver in the bedroom and the LR and we are able to watch two different channels and even different satellites at the same time. I Don't feel the need for a PVR when away camping.

We now would not be without one and are very happy with the Winegard product, I would stay away from products made by R.F. Mogul from Las Vegas as they are not likely to survive long.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #14
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
We spend part of the year in Michigan and the rest in Florida now, and Direct TV sent me an instruction e-mail on changing my zip code for local channels. Let me see if I can find it and post it here later today. Have an early apt this morning or would do it now. Look for it in a little while. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #15
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have the Winegart Travel'er with Direct TV mounted on the roof and I also carry a free standing dish with a tri-pod for use when that one tree is in the way. That way we are covered no matter where we are located. We have not had any problems or issues with Direct TV changing our Physical location when and where we have traveled to and we have bee all over the country. We just call them and they change things so we can have the local channels no problem.

If any of them ever give us any problem over the phone we just say thanks and hang-up and call right back and get a different operator and they take care of us.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote