Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Too much information!!

I discovered this web site yesterday and wanted to share it. There may be a lot of information out there a person isn’t aware of. With public forum sites, etc… it’s certainly making me re-think just how much information I want to make available, eg; in signatures, etc...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I couldn't resist checking it out and was very pleased to learn that I now live in a $1,000,000 house. Luckily the taxes I am paying do not reflect that......Whewwww! Oh, I was surprised to learn that I am in my 70's (no wonder I have been so tired lately...I aged 41 years rapidly (Hee Hee). Oh I also now only have one child, guess I have to make a choice now of which one that is?????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Most of the info on those search sites is public information. I've used similar sites to locate old acquaintances, finding phone numbers and email addresses. If you want to pay a little, you can find out a lot more!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree that these kinds of sites are collecting and offering public information...the point, I think, is that too much of our "personal" information is made "public." This makes things easier for thieves to steal your identity and get you in financial trouble. I, for one, do not think the public has any "right" to my personal information...problem is, I have no control over how my information is used.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am on there several times. Two are me and three are my #1 son all old data. One can plug into the public record in any city, county and it is all there. Folks will reveal everything about themselves on their blogs yet object to the public record.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
For me there was my name in several states, what I found odd was that in all states there was always 3 of me....wow, don't think anyone would want that around lol.............

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Folks will reveal everything about themselves on their blogs yet object to the public record.
You are so right Rich!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
And what about the rest of us who have no idea of what a "blog" is, nor care, and do object????
Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! I live in 14 or 15 states.

Having come from a security word I was well aware of the masses of information that can be gained from the Internet. It is unfortunate that there are people who will use it for illegal purposes. It is just another way to get information to perpetrate identity theft. Most of it is from public records. Some of it is from those forms you fill out just about anywhere - like think RV Shows, etc.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hate when the public information is WRONG about me. I got a lot of very nice offers, gifts, certificates and dicounts from the American Legion with my name and address because of my Veteran status. The problem is I am not a veteran, haven't worked for any government agency and was shocked when I got all this stuff and didn't ask for it!

It took me a couple of calls to the American Legion who has put the blame on their database suppliers. Trying to contact those companies has been very futile. One didn't exist and one said they don't have me as a veteran. I am greatly disturbed that these offers are being sent out and can only imagine some might take them and keep them. The closest I got to actual military service was High School Army ROTC for a year and a half and had to quit because I was so small I couldn't fit in anything. I was an honorable cadet, knew everything, was a dead shot, but my size warned me to find something else to do, so I went to college and sat back to watch the rest of my brothers and brothers-in-law serve. I ended up with a great career and my taxes helped pay their salary but this was the closest I got.

I am confident my safeguards protect everything else, but how anyone could think I am a veteran is beyond me since there is NO record of it that I know of. I'm still looking, though.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Art, we were also confident that our personal information was "safe;" however, in early 2008 some dirtbags got enough personal data on Camilla to start opening accounts and buying things in her name...to the tune of more than $25,000. While that may not be a lot to some people, it is a lot to us. It has taken over two years and a lot of frustration to get that matter resolved, and we are still not sure it is resolved. So I will restate, I do not feel the public has any right to my personal information. Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Wow! I live in 14 or 15 states.
Wayne, I remember seeing you in 12 of those states....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote