Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
MS Outlook

I need to have some help from a person that knows MS Outlook very well.
Q #1. Is there a way to delete all my calinder entries and appointments all at once instead of one at a time like I've been doing... too time consuming.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Try this:

1. In the Navigation Pane, click Calendar.
2. On the View menu, point to Current View, and then click By Category.
3. Click Categories: (none), and then press CTRL+A.
4. All items in the list should now be selected.
5 Press DELETE.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Try this:

1. In the Navigation Pane, click Calendar.
2. On the View menu, point to Current View, and then click By Category.
3. Click Categories: (none), and then press CTRL+A.
4. All items in the list should now be selected.
5 Press DELETE.
Thanks Waynem.
That worked excellent on the calinder, now.....

In outlook I also have a address book, how do I delete all that info without hurting my address book in Outlook express.
the reason I have to do this is on my PDA (Storm) I seem to be getting a duplicate of several or should I say quite a few events when I do a synk, even though I have the storm the control on my laptop it does not seem to overwrite it duplicates the ajenda for that day. that is why I want to delete all my files on the clinder on the laptop so when I synk the two it will see only the PDA and take all the information properly from it.
So great Guru of Outlook, what do I do with the address book in Outlook for a delete.

Thanks so much for you help.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Active Sync or Windows Mobile Device Center (depending on which you are using to sync your PDA with) has a option that when you sync to replace the items on your computer or the ones on your PDA or vice-versa. Make sure you have selected to keep the ones on the PDA or any changes in Outlook will also change the PDA.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don,
Now you are getting technical. I'll need to know two things.
What version of Windows are you using, and what version of MS Outlook.

There have been several changes over the years and the 2007 working with Windows 7 seems to be working a little differently.

However, until I hear from you, here is what I suggest:

First, export your contacts list and name it some easy name like "mycontacts." This way if you want to recover them at a later time you will be able to with an import command.

Deleting the contacts should work the same way as you deleted the calendar, but use contacts instead.

The newer MS Outlooks synchronize the contacts with the address book, so deleting the contacts will also, I think, delete the address book. Once I know what versions you are running I can do a couple test. I'd like to maintain the integrity of your present contact list and address book for recovery later if you so desire. This can be done either by the export method or by changing the name of the address file.

I can't help you with the "Storm," since I have never worked with PDA'S.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks everybody for your help.
TomS I had it going in the direction to the laptop from the PDA a one way push.
Waynem I am running win 2002 xp ser pak 3, MS Office Profes with front page dont know the version I know it has ser pak 2 attached. Im going to work with what info you have given me so far and see what happens, I'll use the lap top if I mess that up I can always use the desk top as the main to restore if needed, or the restore on the laptop to the day before the change was made.

thanks Don
Old 11-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You probably are storing your contact information in an older version like 2003 or 2004 outlook, in a .PAB file.

Click on Start
Click on MyComputer
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab, and then click the Show hidden files and folder option.

You "should" find the PAB file in:
\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Make sure Outlook is closed.
Rename the extension. I always just reverse the extension name (Except EXE) So it would change from PAB to BAP. This will keep the address book from opening, and MS Outlook will create a blank PAB file.

Let me know what happens.

Also, do a search in *.PAB and see if there are any others located in a different directory.

There is another way to find out where your PAB is stored and you need to use the Data Managment in Outlook to see where the PAB is located. I think search is the easiest way at this time.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Wayne I will print this and save it and when I get real daring I'll try it.
Have a good week up and comming.

Don
Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The only difference between Wayne and I is that I rename the extension 'old' because there are no programs that recognize it (to try and run it) and it makes it easier for me to find it if needed.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

The only difference between Wayne and I is that I rename the extension 'old' because there are no programs that recognize it (to try and run it) and it makes it easier for me to find it if needed.
Thanks TomS I have your post copied also when I get ready to try it.
Thanks to all for your help.

TT2
Old 11-30-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Tom
I recognize an old Autoexec.bat and config.sys modifier...LOL
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I had that problem of dupes but I deleted all in the PDA and then made sure outlook was correct in the computer (because I keep computers longer than PDAs and back them up) And sync so that they don't sycronise but that the computer outlook overwrites the pda.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, I'm kinda dumb. There is no way that I will remember what an extension .old is, but I would remember that .tab is really .bat. Anyway that you can remember what the original extension is would be the way to go.

Edited: and yes, there are extensions that will just repeat themselves, like a phone number extension 34043, or a word radar, etc., then I just add an extra character, like ssys, or eexe. But that's just the logical dummy in me. Sometimes I'm just dumb and erase the file - then I wonder where it went and I have to get out my tools and recover erased files. It just never ends!!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:

Tom
You are right Robbie! I can actually remember some of the old DOS commands. Boy am I getting old!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:

Tom
You are right Robbie! I can actually remember some of the old DOS commands. Boy am I getting old!!!
I actually moved files the other day using DOS command utilities.....You're right, we're getting old!!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:19 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I miss the old DOS commands and What was it Edlin? I was a wiz at it and knew what every file on my computer did. Now I have no idea what many of them are. We may be getting old but if we are still in there kicking then it is okay.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

I miss the old DOS commands and What was it Edlin? I was a wiz at it and knew what every file on my computer did. Now I have no idea what many of them are. We may be getting old but if we are still in there kicking then it is okay.
Happy trails........................
EDLIN? How about BASIC? COBAL...oh Sue, think I'll go find my rockin' chair.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! The friendlier days - with Edlin and just a plain old text editor. I do remember some who deleted their Autoexec.bat file and/or their config.sys file. I would have to go in through DOS and reconstruct them, or recover them with tools I had to recover deleted files.

Now, to make you all happy, here is the new toy - BUT BE CAREFUL

On the "Run" command line (Start/Run) type in MSCONFIG and select ok or hit return.

Like I said - Be careful - of what you turn off.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:47 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Ah! The friendlier days - with Edlin and just a plain old text editor. I do remember some who deleted their Autoexec.bat file and/or their config.sys file. I would have to go in through DOS and reconstruct them, or recover them with tools I had to recover deleted files.

Now, to make you all happy, here is the new toy - BUT BE CAREFUL

On the "Run" command line (Start/Run) type in MSCONFIG and select ok or hit return.

Like I said - Be careful - of what you turn off.
Wayne, have no idea how most people can run the MS BS without knowing about msconfig.....showing my age again.

My new MacBook Pro is sure nice.

So Don, how we doing with that Outlook sync problem?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yeah! I'm interested in how Don is doing also.

I recently had to purchase a new laptop. The CD drive would not stay closed in the old one so i used it on DW for a new one. I really wanted a MAC, as I have an iMAC 24 here at the stick house and a PC laptop, but the MAC was twice the price of a PC and I could not justify it. I saved about $60 in taxes buying through the military exchange, and I saved another 6-700 by not buying a MAC. But I sure would have liked one. I just could not justify it.

Microsoft Office for the MAC is a little different than for the PC, especially the Email program, Eudora. MAC also has it's own email program and recently we had to switch over to it when Eudora keeps getting a -3211 error. It's associated with Norton's Internet Security so I'm waiting for a fix.

On the PC Laptop I let DW use MS Outlook, and I use Thunderbird, which is a free Mozilla email program. Microsoft is over rated as far as I'm concerned, when the free stuff works just as good, if not better. www.openoffice.org for open source programs that emulate the MS Office software, and it's free. For a browser I use Firefox, another Mozilla product that is free and does not have all the junk that I think IE has. Safari is another browser similar to Firefox. My personal take is that Firefox and Safari both run faster than IE. It's to back we can't uninstall IE, but then Windows would break. Oh well.

How are you doing, Don?