Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Landing Gear Malfunction

Well I guess this is a new one (for me). I checked the more recent threads on landing gear problems & find that most involve either a bad fuse or wiring that affects the motor. Mine of course has to be different. When hooking up the Montana I heard some loud clacking noise when raising the front to a proper hitch height. I went ahead & hooked up, moved the RV over, then a whole lot of clacking when raising the front to get unhitched, accompanied by no more movement. I know this same noise occurs when the front is raised up so high it hits its upward limit, however this was just at the height of the normal hitching, and I had at least 6" before being at max. extension. I was able to use the manual crank to lift enough to get unhitched, but am not exicited about having to do it often. Naturally we are scheduled to leave day after tomorrow on a family vacation with our three adult sons & their families. I have a call in to our local dealer but can't get the service tech to call me back. His usual call-back time is 4:55P (five minutes prior to closing). I did find some metal filings on a cross piece below the landing gear motor. Am thinking there will be some kind of stripped gear in there. Don't think it is in the motor because the gear works on the retract cycle. I haven't tried to go back up to the hitch height but suspect when I do I will get up to that height ok & then run into the same clacking & no raising. Maybe a tooth/cog in the landing gear leg is gone. Don't know yet. Anybody else ever have a gear or tooth strip out? Yes, we are still under warranty but that won't help for our pending trip. mike

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
If your service tech can't help you. Try calling Lippert. They have excellent customer service and they might be able to help you troubleshoot your problem over the phone.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Can you check the motor to see if it is loose? It happened to us and gave us a scare one time with all the racket.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Also, if battery is not charged enough it will make one heck of a racket-- currently having the same problem with my 5er, called Tech Guru at dealer and he asked me if I'd been charging the batteries. I had not and batteries (have 2) only lit one 1 light on the little wall panel. In any case, hooked trailer up to shore power for a couple of hours and now landing gear sounds normal. Worth a try to check.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
There is a gear at the top where the motor meets the jack or leg. It is not hard to replace...may be hard to find though. There is a shear pin, maybe it is broken. Check the pin in the cross shaft that goes from one leg to the other.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I doubt that you have the same problem we had we our rig was almost new. But, just in case...
Our problem was that the bolts that hold the motor to the frame were gone! The motor would wind itself up (mqking a terrible noise!!) until the wiring would stop it from turning further. I happened to have a large C-Clamp along which I used to secure it in place temporarily. Fortunately the wiring was not damaged.

Apparently the factory either failed to tighten the long bolts and/or left most of them out.

Hope you get yours solved as easily as we did.

Russ
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
After you get it fixed retract the legs and allow 1 inch to full retract then paint the legs black, then when you extend them next time you will have a marker line where to stop so you wont brake it again.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I was able to hook up (only one or two clacks heard) & took the rig to the dealer. Of course once there the problem wouldn't repeat. Everything worked properly, there was no binding, etc., etc. Checked all the motor mounting bolts, ran it up and down - nothing but the way it should be. Now I'm wondering if perhaps I just mis-judged when unhooking and maybe tried to lift my truck up along with the RV. I did put a new hitch in and there is almost no tolerance between the locking bar and the ridge on the hitch pin. I've since noticed that when I get to the point of having no weight on the hitch, there is practically no movement/no space showing below the lube plate. We have begun a trip to the NorEast for the fall colors and so far there has been no problem except trying to see when I have the RV off the hitch plate. I think I'm just dumb & didn't see when to stop raising the rig. Again, thanks for all the responses and suggestions. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote