Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
Eharang

M.O.C. #23882
2017 3820FK AC and Fan

I have been experiencing some problems with my heat/ac. I have always assumed it was a thermostat problem. This winter it would either be to hot or cold and now that i am running the ac there are times that it will not turn on. I replaced the front t stat with the newer model but still seeing a problem. I will have to turn the unit off and then on for the unit to start. Also when i have the fan on low so that it will run all the time, the unit will shut off. Any ideas?

Eharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
kc8lvy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19861
I also have that same issue. My bedroom AC works fine, it turns on and off like it should in auto. My living room AC does not like to turn on in auto mode. We live in southern Florida so we just run the fan on high instead of auto and it works fine. It is hot and muggy all summer long so we rarely turn it off. In our so called winter we just turn it off at night when we get chilly and turn it back on in the morning. As the furnace goes we have never ran it. We just run our fireplace to take the chill out on those 55 to 60 degree mornings.

I know this is not a fix.
If anyone has figured it out please post it.
Good luck
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:54 AM   #3
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
I have the same fiver, but 2018 version. My ac cycles on, off, on, off...in short bursts at times. Anyone know why?
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
We are FT in a 2017 3820 FK spending a lot of time in Clermont/Leesburg Florida area to be close to aging parents. Our bedroom AC works fine in Auto. We found that our living area AC will "cycle" during the heat of the day but once the sun goes down and the day cools(?) off it runs fine in Auto. No science behind this but my "theory" after checking temps with a infrared thermometer and paying attention is that the living area AC is working as advertised. Although these are 4 Seasons rigs it is just too hot sometimes. AC brings the room to the desired temp, cuts off, someone opens the front door, hot air rushes in and shazam AC cuts on. AC again lowers the temp, cuts off, still SMOKIn hot outside with the sun beating down on the roof and sides, gets hot again and AC comes back on. Also have to contend with the hot air from outside being felt by the thermostat as it seeps in and inside the wall where the thermostat is mounted. If I was king for a day, I'd relocate the thermostat to another wall, maybe in the hall near the control panel. Or insulate the area behind the thermostat. Pretty certain the cycling is not good for the AC units. My work around once it starts short cycling is to switch it from Auto to Low and all is well. Then in the evening switch it back to Auto so it can rest. Good luck, Joe.
FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
joesuedoc

M.O.C. #23784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eharang View Post
I have been experiencing some problems with my heat/ac. I have always assumed it was a thermostat problem. This winter it would either be to hot or cold and now that i am running the ac there are times that it will not turn on. I replaced the front t stat with the newer model but still seeing a problem. I will have to turn the unit off and then on for the unit to start. Also when i have the fan on low so that it will run all the time, the unit will shut off. Any ideas?

I have 2017 3811MS and have the same problem. The bedroom A/C shuts off in auto mode and low speed I too have to turn unit off with thermostat and turn back on to get unit restarted. The living room unit does the same but not too often. The problem is we have a small dog and this Florida heat is too much. We fear leaving the dog for too long because the a/c is not reliable. We are fulltime and took the unit to Camping World but they said they were not able to reproduce the event and needed to keep unit for several days maybe a week.

I am going to try setting unit on high to see how that works but I do not believe this is fix.

Something is wrong.
joesuedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Our first summer the rear would "cycle" on & off. We were told it was freezing up and that we need to run the fan on HIGH. No problem since...3 yrs+. Might try it..won't hurt a thing.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:29 AM   #7
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
My 2016 3820fk is in the shop now for the short cycle a/c problem they said the vents were collapsed and it works fine now. I am not sure how the vents were opened up.