Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Wet bolts lubing. Don't trust your dealer.

I've been letting my dealer do the lubing of the wet bolts and the EZ-Lube. I was able to watch them from a service bay door once and decided that was the last time they would do that maintenance for me.

I spent some time watching videos and reading manuals and forums. I was able to easily flush the EZ-Lube system with new grease with nothing out of the normal once I figured out my grease gun.

However, I was only able to lube 10 of my 12 wet bolts. I got some advice about lifting the RV off the ground to remove the load on the tires/axle and that allowed me to lube one more. I could not get the last bolt to take any grease. So I got some advice about the exit hole of the bolt could be clogged or never drilled completely thru. I also found out it could be binding against the bushing.

So I removed the shackle cleaned everything up and drilled out the grease hole in the bolt. I got it reassembled and got the last bolt to take grease.

So my advice is no matter how new your RV is, lube all the grease bolts yourself and make sure they are all working. The one bolt that was giving me trouble had no grease anywhere near the bolt or bushing.

The dealer was apparently just pushing grease for a few seconds and not checking to see if any old grease came out.

Bottom line: don't trust your dealer to do a job that's hard for you to inspect.

jfaberna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
From sad ... sad experience from 3 different dealers in my tenure of owning RV's .... I'd shorten your closing statement to "Don't trust your dealer".
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
I've been pulling wrenches since I was 14. I never let anyone do anything to any of my stuff that I can do myself. I am almost 57 and know one day I'm not gonna be able to do it anymore. If you are mechanicly inclined you can do just about anything with the help of the internet.
Good for you to take the time and effort to do this for yourself. It is very gratifying to be able to do some of this stuff yourself and know it was done properly.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I'm going to be 73 this May and intend on greasing the wet bolts and EZ-Lube hubs myself as always. Yes it's work, but this is the only way I can be certain it's done right (and I don't have a blown out axle seal!).
Old 03-04-2017, 03:32 AM   #5
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
You're preaching to the choir here, Jimbo!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote