Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #61
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I just ordered the front grey tank at camping world as of yesterday. Camping World in Pensacola fl would not order the tank without me bringing in the fithwheel for them to diagnose the failure. I had pictures and all of the information including the part number so that I would not have to jump through that hoop. I finally paid for the tank so it could be ordered and it will be turned into my aftermarket warranty when it arrives and gets installed. I understand they have a process they try to follow but when all of the information is presented can't we just make a few exceptions to the rule. Can't we all just get along!!!

Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #62
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With a extended warranty the repair must be approved before ordered or installed Camping world should know that. If that did not happen the extended warranty company will not approve it...Read your contract. CW should have the approval from the Warranty company before it is ordered.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #63
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Letting the gray and galley back up into the tub or sink was once a common practice for us but after 4 holding tanks burst while standing on our lot we gave that up. We will close the gray and galley tank one day before dumping the black tank and we dump the black every three or four days.

We had the gray tank burst in our driveway because we had the gray tank closed and left water running in the Bathroom sink. No back up in tub or sinks, no water in RV,just a loud boom.

If what you are doing is working for you then keep on doing it.

DITTO RICH.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #64
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Dropped the Montana off at Pensacola CW today and headed to the airport to fly back to Boise. Got to airport and checked in and then the flight cancelled. DW flies tomorrow and I fly tomorrow night but will still get home a day late. Will pick up Montana when I get back into town and hope all repairs are taken care of!! I am sure warranty will be an issue but will deal with it when I have to.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #65
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Sorry to hear this is happening to you guys.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:16 AM   #66
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
X2 on hearing of more of these failures. I remember joining the MOC after purchasing our first used Montana. It was about 4 years ago and Richfaa had one of his many tank failures. Throughout our time full timing between our used Montana and our new one I just kept waiting for one of the tanks to burst open. The only one I ever left closed was the black and I tried to dump and rinse it every 4 or 5 days, never allowing it to get close to full.

This apparently has never been an issue with the SOB MH that we now own, or at least I have never found any reference to it on that forum. That makes me wonder if it generally happens just on fivers and not on MH's? Or do other brands of fivers experience some of these tank failures? Is it the style and/or brand of tank Keystone is using? Or is it the way Keystone Montana installs and supports their tanks?

I now have a different set of maintenance issues to deal with, but I certainly do not miss holding my breath waiting for a holding tank rupture.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:08 AM   #67
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
We had three Sunnybrook 5ers (out of business now) before. We went to three Sunnybrook national rallies and was very active on the old Sunnybrook forum. Never heard of tank leaks, The first two were solid but the last one was bad about roof leaks because the EPDM wasn't installed properly. It also had the curling graphics problem.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:06 AM   #68
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had 4 Rv's before we had a Montana all different brands and never a tank failure over more than 10 years.

When we started this long timing travel adventure in 2006 we planned on 5 to 7 years. We are now in year 11. We are on our 2nd Montana and our 2nd 1 ton dually truck. We have traveled well over 100K miles and visited 41 of the lower 48 States.

We live in them 6 months every winter and at least 3 months during the summer months.

We use these RV's hard and IMO they are not designed for the kind of use we put them to. Holding tank failures have been our major problem. They we not properly installed in the 06 3400 that is no support or proper bracing. We blew 4 tanks and two were leaking when we traded it in. We have blown 4 on this 13 3402 all standing still on a lot simply by filling them with liquid .They have never backed up into the sink or tub or john. The last one was our fault as I closed the grey tank as a pre black tank dump and somehow the sink in the bathroom got left on...boom....No back up in the tub or sink.

The tanks on this 13 3402 are now properly braced on my dime we leave the gray and galley tanks open and dump the black tank every 3 days.

We can't sell this thing and break at least even. We perhaps have another couple of years left in us.. maybe and our travel has slacked off. We are going to the CT rally this summer and that will fill in most of our missing states. We have had about enough of travel and RV,ing and we have a S&B waiting.

It has been a good run problems and all and with the extended warranties that we would not be without we have little out of pocket in the thousands of repair dollars spent.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #69
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Richfaa, you said "They have never backed up into the sink or tub or john. The last one was our fault as I closed the grey tank as a pre black tank dump and somehow the sink in the bathroom got left on...boom....No back up in the tub or sink."

But that shouldn't matter, they should be able to be filled and withstand the pressure and weight. We just returned from a short in-state 4 day camping trip. Yesterday morning I was brushing my teeth and noticed that my sink wasn't draining. Sure enough the DW's sink had an inch or so of water in it and when I looked in the shower it had a couple inches of standing water. Went out and discovered that when we set up I had forgot to open the gray. Tank had filled and backed up through all the plumbing. This is the second time I have done that, no biggie. Any RV should have a solid enough tank to withstand it being completely filled.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #70
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know that JandC none of the tanks that failed in this 3402 withstood being full. They all failed standing on a lot. Had they backed up into the sink, tub or John they would not have failed or if they could withstand being filled they would not have failed.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #71
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Hmm.. Kind of makes you wonder if they are outsourcing the tanks to China like the Marabombs these days. That might explain the replacements going too.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #72
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No the tanks for the Montana's were made right up the street from the service center. They now have a new vendor.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #73
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The grey and black tanks on my 2007 MH are made of Three Layer Polyethylene, I think. The same material the Old Town canoes are made of. It's a far superior material to the tanks on my Montana. Come to think of it every thing I've checked on the MH is better than what's on the Montana. The things that are common to all campers like the furnace, vents, refrigerator are of course all the same but the things the manufacturer made are what is much better.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:23 AM   #74
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Lynwood is right, especially when it comes to tank and plumbing systems. My tanks gate valves are not buried and impossible to reach, they are exposed and right there in the convenience center. Of course most new owners of MH's in the 35-40' range deal with other issues, some of which the manufacturer could do better at.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #75
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You get what you pay for...
Old 12-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #76
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
If they have a new vendor, maybe in the future those with tank problems can have them replaced with a better product. My last replacement was the kitchen tank and they did reinforce the tank and add another vent which comes out the refrigerator vent. They didn't charge me for the tank reinforcing or the vent. Through the spring and summer we had no problems. When we take our 2 1/2 month trip through the south this spring we'll see if the repairs will stand up.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:03 AM   #77
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Rich, just curious. What do you mean by S&B waiting? I have enjoyed reading your comments on our different RV's and found them very useful.Hope all your troubles are over and can enjoy your last years of RV'ing.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #78
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

Rich, just curious. What do you mean by S&B waiting? I have enjoyed reading your comments on our different RV's and found them very useful.Hope all your troubles are over and can enjoy your last years of RV'ing.
Oh. We never went to the full time mode although we are close to it.
We never sold our S&B and all or most of our possessions. Our time at home varies but we spend at least 3 or 4 months a year at the S&B.

When we end the RV lifestyle we just change over to full timing in the S&B.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #79
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we were told at the fall rally maybe two years ago when the new holding tanks came out that they we NOT compatible with the older tanks. I specifically asked. I would check again if anyone has blown a tank .
Old 12-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #80
Avofarmer66
Established Member

M.O.C. #13197
We have a 2012 3400RL the gray tank split in the center 2 years ago and we had it plastic welded. The repair guy said to put 1/2" plywood between the tank and cross braces. We did that and to date have had no issues. We camp 6 months each year.
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote