Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
Install a Trail Air?

I am thinking about installing the TrailAir on my Montana. Should I do it or have it installed? It looks like a 6-bolt assembly with minor emergency brake installation.

Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:04 AM   #2
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
Art: It's rather a simple operation but you will need another person to help you,it's a two man job because of the weight involved. If you do it yourself be sure that when you put the washer on behind the bolt that goes thru it to hold it on that you get it on right. On one side there are dimples and that side goes on toward the hitch pin. It acts like a lock washer. Good luck.
Al.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Art,
I mounted my trail air myself. I used a floor jack on the bed and endgate of the pickup to lift it into place. It would have been useful to have help but it wasn't too bad alone. The heaviest single part is the old one coming off.

Some thing you need is a good, high torque, torque wrench. I ruined mine setting the new nuts in place. Also, getting the original bolts out is a real toughy. You will need a long breaker bar or pipe extension.

Also, take the opportunity to properly dress and tie down the triler umbilical cord. On mine the factory job was real mickey mouse.

Good Luck
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I have heard lots of good things about the TrailAir hitch. Good luck on your installation. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Don't want to alarm you, but make sure the Trailair will clear the sides of the truck. Ours didn't!...We purchased a 2005 3295 RK Montana, Truck pulling it is a 2003 Chev. 3500 Duramax dually, long box. Our pin box is a Lippert 1631 which calls for a #L05 Trailair. We could not turn into our drive way without the hitch hitting the side of the pick up. As I understand it, the newer trucks are being built higher with narrow boxes. Ours is 63" wide. Thus our problem. We hope the problem will be solved
by taking 2 inches off hitch/trailair. We should know next Thurs. Measure the width of your truck, get the number of your pin Box and call Trailair. Our standard pin LONG box seems to be the problem. Call to make sure. Other than the turning problem....we love the Trailair. Much smoother ride and not a dish moves.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote