Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Running Water Off Counter Top

Our 3295RK has a problem with water collecting behind the kitchen faucet and running off the back end of the counter top. I know I have seen in houses, during the "Parade of Homes" tours, splash guards where sinks are mounted in kitchen islands where there is no backing. Since the faucet in our 5er is mounted flush with the counter top and no matter how careful we are when washing dishes, you always have some water on your hands when turning on & off or adjusting the water temp on the faucet, water collects and runs off the back. I am unable to find a splash guard to mount on the counter top to prevent this. I have been to Lowes, Home Depot, Westlakes Ace Hardware, and a local glass company. I have found vinyl molding, only in white, that can be routed with a decorative edging and a groove cut in the middle to hold either Lexan or preferrably tempered glass. But does anyone have a better idea?

Gary

Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Just a thought, call one of the local home decorators and ask if there is such a item, and where to purchase it?? Or, call a upscale plumber?? You know one that has a fancy showroom??

I suppose I have the same problem, but, I just keep wiping the area with my dishrag, and never gave it a lot of thought.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #3
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
What about just puttin a dishrag behind the faucet when in use? We had a similar problem but it was a faucet leak. The dealer replaced the faucet with one that slopes toward sink so water will drain into sink instead of countertop.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We also have the same problem when using the kitchen sink. The water gets behind the faucet and runs off the counter to the floor. It's not a faucet leak...we just really get into washing those dishes. And when the 5ver isn't exactly level... then the water runs just about everywhere. I keep a lid from a jar under my dish strainer so the water will run down into the sink and not onto the counter.

A long time ago someone had (I think it was this forum... or maybe on rv.net before this forum was born) suggested that the manufacturers install counter tops with small "lips" around the counters, or use counters that have a slight "uphill" slant to them at the edge, like some stick home counter-tops have to stop the run-off to the floors. Not a bad idea.

We've looked at Home Depot and about the only thing we can figure out is to use "quarter-round" and glue it to the edge of the counter behind the faucet and then caulk it. We haven't done that yet though. So we just use a towel back there to stop the run-off.

(Question..... why is that counter called an "island" counter when it really is a "peninsula"?)
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
D and M on the Road,

That is a great question?? An island is supposedly a unit unto its own and not connected.

Maybe Island is easier to spell and takes up less space in the brochures???
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We were having the problem with water getting on the carpet behind our sink, either splashing or dripping. When we were at an RV show we purchased a neat little extender that attaches to our faucet. It is on about a 4" flexible hose and the bottom edge (where the water comes out) can be moved down slightly to form a spray instead of a stream. Having the faucet a little closer avoids some of the splashing and the flexibility keeps you from banging a solid faucet. One of the great things on this one is a little lever on the side of the faucet which can be raised or lowered to temporarily stop the flow of water. This feature turns the water off avoiding the need to use your wet hands on the knobs to control the water flow. Have had no damp carpet since. Have even done away with the plastic carpet runner I used to put behind the sink. Sorry I do not have a photo to share with you all. Will try to find it on the web and will post a site url if I can find it.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
gimmy2001,
My wife complained of the same thing. I did notice our faucet had a leak if I rested my hand on the single lever valve, water would run down the to the base of the faucet. I do not rest my had there and it helps but the slash and spray is still a problem. Let us know what you come up with for a back splash or dam.
Good luck
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
JoyceH...... thanks, that sounds great. I am very interested in seeing that gizmo.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:41 PM   #9
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Have spent about an hour searching the net for this "gizmo". Can't seem to find it, so guess those of you who are going to the Rally will just have to come to our site and check it out. Meanwhile I will try to get a photo the next time we go over to the storage lot. Unfortunately it will be sometime from now as Tom goes in for his surgery on Wednesday of this coming week. Sorry I can't give you a photo for better description.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:32 PM   #10
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Finally found it on the web. Check out this website

http://watermagic.ca/additional_water_magic_product.htm

What we have is the one with the flex hose and the flow control thing at the lower right. Was very easy to install, just unscrew the current aerator and replace with this one. I saved the original one so if we ever change RV's we could take this extended one with us.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Thank you so much Joyce. I checked out the website and we are going to order one with the flexible hose. Maybe you can get a cut of the profits if a bunch of us order them and mention your name?