Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Electrical Shock

i've notice that i receive a "little" electrical shock when i touch metal on the trailer.... It is NOT a large shock and usually I only can feel it on my more sensitive skin....like the inside of my arm, etc.
i spoke to an electrical guy and he said it is a "grounding issue"...where the heck would i even start looking?

I am hooked up to 110 voltage but I do seem to remember that it does it even when it is only 12 volts.

any suggestions????

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree that it is most likely a grounding issue. I would not expect it with only 12v unless you have an inverter in your rig creating 120 vac from the 12v.
Have you just noticed it at a new site/hookup? If so, it could be a ground problem at the power source. This site shows you how to make a good tester to test the source power before you plug into a new site.
First thing I would do is to take the cover off the inside electrical panel where your circuit breakers are located. Then check each and every connection, all hots, neutrals, and grounds. I found a number of screws that were not tight on mine, especially on the ground bar. A couple were almost ready to fall out. Do this with the AC power cord disconnected to be safe.
Get a little tester like this one. It will tell you if you have any open grounds to any of the outlets.
Then it gets into more serious testing.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Unplug your power cord and check the connections where the wire connects to the plugs. Make sure they are tight and seated in the plugs all the way. If I were you, I would consider this a hazardous condition and fix it as soon as possible. It can become VERY dangerous.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I have something to think about. What is the purpose of the green equipment grounding wire in a 120v circuit? To me for it to be a 12vdc problem you would have to be the path back to the battery. In an ac circuit the neutral is the normal return path for those circuits. In an rv the green and the neutral are not suppose to be connected together in any way. Just some food for thought to draw your own conclussions. I had a shocking problem with mine also. Dealer fixed under warranty after I gave them an education on electrical circuits. Long story. JMO of course.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I had the same problem a little over a week ago. I checked everything I could think of with a multi meter. did not find a problem. Started looking at the power source on my garage wall, and I accidently repluged the power cord into the lower outlet instead of the upper and I no longer would get the shock. I replaced the 39 cent outlet and the problem is solved. Hope you can get your problem fixed as cheaply
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I noticed on my power cord, that the coating was coming out of the plug on the camper side. When I pulled the cover off the plug, most of my wires were loose inside the cover.

Might want to check them too.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I agree with NCFishers, please get this taken care of right away. I dont want to scare anyone but here is a link to a news article of an incident that happened near here last week.
http://www.thestarpress.com/article/...g-electrocuted

scary stuff.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
ABSOLUTELY get this fixed! I had a similar issue years ago and found that the ground in my extension cord was not functioning. I found that if I connected an automotive battery jumper cable to the frame and then to a large screw driver stuck in the ground it corrected the problem. That is what a ground wire does. If you are not familar with electricity get someone who is and have this corrected.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
It is true that a better ground will bleed off this leakage so that you will not be shocked. The more pressing issue is to find where the leak is to start with.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote