Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Porta Bote

Hello again folks,
Kathy and I are planning on departing Folsom CA [our current home] for a loop through the central U.S [toward Nashville] and then north into Canada and west popping back into the USA near Montana [love that name]. Departure date is 6/25.
Anyway we plan some Manitoba fishing and were wondering about a little rig called a Porta Boat. It looks pretty light weight and easy to transport on the Monty. If anyone has any experience with this little vessel we would appreciate your feedback-thanks.
Jim and Kathy [and Sami the shedding yellow lab]

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Hi, we bought a 12 ft porta boat about a year ago and just love it. Have a bass boat at home and really missed the boat on vacation. Went to a sportsman show where they had a booth so we could actually could see it before we bought. It works great. Bought a small trolling motor and gas motor. Use the trolling motor most since I lake fish. The first few times you put it together it is kinda stiff but after it gets used that limbers up. Also you get the knack pretty quick on how to do it. I wish we had gotten the 10ft because it would have made it a little easier to transport with one person but the 12ft gives you more room once it is in the water and not much of a price difference. They sell wheels that fold up to help transport to the water as believe it or not 75lbs does get a little heavy to carry to the water but I felt was just another thing to have to carry around and pack. They would have the plus and minus of getting them. Usually 2 people it is not a problem. I usually put it together at the campsite and put in the truck to transport to the water. I have a 2955 2005 Montana and made a box under the 5th wheel and slide it in it to carry. They make racks to carry on the side of the Montana but I rather not do that so went with the cage. I can send pictures of anything you would like if you pm me your email address. Any questions feel free to ask me or if you want to call me I will pm my number if you want it. I am very satisfied with the quality and what it does for me. I saw someone on this site that was selling one used you may want to check it out and see if it is still there. We looked around for a used one but ended up having to buy new because one was not around. Pm me if you want any more infro....

Hope this helps
Bill
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:42 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have a 12 foot porta bote that we use in the lakes of Northern AZ. My original thought was to take it with us but we carry too much "stuff" already. The boat is a surprisingly stable little vessel. We have an electric trolling motor that does an adequate job on smaller lakes. I think I would invest in a 4hp outboard if we were on anything larger.

Look for a used one. They have little value on the used market. Since I bought mine I've seen at least three for less than half of what I paid for a new one. One was sold for only $200.00 and seemed to be in good shape.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I actually saw someone who had mounted the portabote vertically on the back of their RV (it must have been the 10 footer). The bottom of the boat only went a few inches below the RV body and stuck above the top of the RV a bit and it didn't look like the top of the PB was higher than the topmost part of their 5er which is why I think it was a 10' PB. It looked scary but I was impressed that the owner was able to figure out customizing the brackets somehow.

I didn't get a good look because they were towing slowly and I blew by in my car, but I have a knack for looking for things like that. I'll notice but not get enough detail.

I kinda like the idea of mounting underneath but be careful of piercing tanks, or using weak fasteners so the unit does not drop to the ground while bounding down the road.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I just got back from a weekend at the lake. I have a 10 footer with a trolling motor and oars. Haven't used the oars much but anyway mine is mounted under the Montie in a box. I have 4 rollers in there that makes for easy loading. Caution though as I can profess from this past week end - the Porta Bote does not guarantee you catch fish. We like ours. I am thinking of getting some carrage wheels just to help getting from the pickup to the water.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
At the Lake Siskiyou rally a few weeks ago there were four Porta-Botes belonging to MOC members. We were trolling for trout there but we also use them for crabbing in Oregon. The 12' bote needs a 6 HP motor to be fully functional. A 10' bote works best with a 4 HP motor. RPHOWARD and Dave Anderson each have the 12' and 10' (respectively) and can explain their experiences with various motors.

We all have a rack under the trailer which holds the bote. It works very well. Since I live in Carmichael, PM me if you would like to see how it is mounted. I am currently in Oregon, but we will be home next week.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
We can vouch for the Youngren mounting of the porta boat. Slides in easily under the rig and rides nicely when traveling.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
THE yOUGREN system under the trl. works very well!! I can tell you the portaboat hase been great for us , bothe here and in Alaska, we have the 10 ft ,and it's OK for 2 in the lakes, but if you plan on salt water , I would suggest the 12 or 14 ft model and a 6 hp motor as well. HAS to be 4-stroke or not usable in Canada or many US lakes. my take...Just Do It!!!!!!
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote