Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Squealing brakes

I have less than 5K miles on our 2955. I have developed a metalic squealing brake on the left side I believe. Only squeals on moderatly hard brake. Not if light stops. What could be the problem

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Generally speaking brake squealing is caused by hard lining. You can get different qualities of lining, from soft to very hard. The harder the lining the more you can get brake squeal. Obviously the harder the lining the longer it will last.
Having said that, other things can cause it, so now you know what side it is coming from, it might not hurt to pull the brake drums off and check out the system. Nowadays a lot of lining is just glued on to the backing plates ( not riveted )and can come loose if overheated. Never hurts to check, or get a brake professional to go for a ride and give you their opinion.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
You might want to check the output on your brake controller. I had this same problem and found I had the output turned too high on the brake controller. Once I got it reset and adjusted properly, the squeal went away. Just a thought...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
thanks, guess I will take it in to be checked.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Someone posted if lug nuts are torqued too high this will cause brake squeaking. I checked and it is what caused mine. Re torque to specifications and see if it goes away. Too much torque distorts the brake drum and causes the squeak. Mine was a loud noise. Good luck.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Was your squeal all the time or only when moderate breaking? Light brake is no noise for me. I am torqued at 95 pounds which is less than the latest spec from keystone. I think they are looking for something over 100 pounds. I can try loosening and retorking to see in that helps.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mine occasionally will squeal. Before heading north I had it into the Montana dealer in Florida and he could find nothing wrong. All though they do squeal occasionally I have drug the Monty from FL to New Hampshire to northern NY without a problem in braking. Maybe J&D has something there.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like Home ON The Road ours used to squeal. More of a loud squall sound. After reading about overtorquing the lugs causing this I backed ours off and retorqued them to specs. No more squalling. Might be worth a check. It's a cheap fix if that's it. With just 5k miles I'd bet on the lugnuts being too tight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote