Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
HELP

How do you get the TV out of the cabinet.

06 3400 built April 24th 06..No fireplace..Most of the cabling is a balled up mess in the cabinet over the Tv..However the rest of it goes down behind the TV.I see one giant screw drilled into the Tv from above right over the center speaker..I see no way to get to that screw so I can remove the Tv and get to the wiring??? Doesd any body know how this is done before I start calling Montana and ask them..what the Yea...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Riah I Believe they have screws in the top and bottom going thru the wood into the plastic thats the way they installed mine in a 3295, Good luck, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Roman....nope not on this unit...
Old 06-13-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK got the TV out.. Having dealt with the office of diabolical engineering in my previous life. I sat back and put myself in their mind set..Sure enough there is a little plastic cover right above the center speaker....under that cover is a" screw" unscrew the screw and the speaker falls out and reveals a larger screw that screws into the top of the TV set.There are also two screws under the tv in the cabinet (fireplace if you have one) that are cleverly disguised as screws holding up a wood strip..remove these screws and the TV topples out of the cabinet. Also got the Stero to play with the booster off by removing the cable to the FM radio and replacing it with a external antenna (removes the booster from the ckt) An A/B switch will follow. Am now clearing up and re-routing the rats nest of cabling and wiring. Isn't this fun?????
Old 06-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Hey, Rich!

If you weren’t such an elite 3400RL/Long Bed TV/Mor-Ryde owning SNOB, you would have read my posts to Lije Baley regarding his TV and how to remove it in his lowly 2955.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15684

It seems most of the living room TVs have two screws on the bottom, and one on the top for securing them.

While you're messing with it, you might throw a few cables on the TV's other inputs and outputs, (suitably labeled,) for future use. It'll avoid the inevitable retracing that route when you decide to add some more A/V gear, later.

Steve (Lowly 3475 owner)
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Note: For the humor-impaired, the above is a humorous post that in no way seriously means the digs about anyone that pepper it. (You can especially tell because it’s got SMILEYS in it.)
Old 06-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are doing exactly that..On our way to Radio shack for a better external FM antenna.When we get done with this Average 3400 (if ever). it will surely be among the elite. Oh.. Helen does these exercises with a rubber contraption that you secure to something a pull on it..she hooked it over that chunk of wood over the main slide that says "Montana" on it..gave it a pull and tore it off the wall..She is a big strong girl..many muscles. She thinks she can maybe put a hook or two in the wood framing on the main slide and hook the contraption to that..Hummm there goes the wood trim....Oh well it is a easy repair.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

LOL!

At least you didn't go on to say that she simply put it back up there and drove a nail in with her forehead!

I've found that much of the wood trim sorta stuff is secured with staples.

Add to that the information that the Half-Time Oven's door button is hanging on by a couple flimsy pieces of plastic, and, well, I think I'm going to tread lightly.

All I need now is to get locked in my water closet! (I notice that the screws to the handle are on the outside flange...Fat lotta good a screwdriver would do while in there. But, then, it'd be something that my wife would wonder about if I were to grab a screwdriver, before entering the WC!)

Murphy's Law awaits the unwary, I'm afraid.

Steve
Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Got one of those Amplified FM external antennas from Radio Shack (24.99) works great and we can now have Cable or Sat and stereo all at the same time. Now to put all this stuff back together..Also got the rest of our 50A MP service installed today..New breakers, 50 amp campground box. 50 amp service is a good thing. If I just retired again Friday why am I working all day every day..I may have to get another job so I can rest..
Old 06-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Now is the time to replace that TV with a LCD FLAT SCREEN
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
You almost had it right ~ "Now is the time to get that coach out on the open road so you can REST!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen is like a little girl that got a bunch of new dolls.We slept in the camper last night to test out our Americana Bear bed (it is great) and could not get her out of the camper this morning.We are looking foward to our first real trip perhaps later on this month Helen's schedule permitting. Of course we are off the 4th of July for a 3 week tour of Canada and upper Michigan..
Old 06-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I failed to mention that when the TV's unfastened from its screws, it can be turned, inside the compartment, rather than having to be lifted out.

But, (in case you haven't already noticed,) when you move it in that space, it's easy to scrape off the plastic veneer that lines the compartment's edging. Most of it is covered by the TV, but some might be visible after the "adjusting" is done.

Now you can crank up the air, turn the water heater on, and nuke a brat while you test out the various positions you want the recliner to assume when you finally get out onto the road!

Steve
Old 06-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

Hey, Rich!
If you weren’t such an elite 3400RL/Long Bed TV/Mor-Ryde owning SNOB, you would have read my posts to Lije Baley regarding his TV and how to remove it in his lowly 2955.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15684
Hey! I resemble that remark! Well, I've got a receiver and speakers coming after some e-bay purchases. I guess I'll spend the 4th of July trip with a Makita, some shelving and a bit of muscle for the TV. It will be nice to have DD 5.1 sound with the Tivo when it passes that signal. I like Rich's use of a separate antenna to allow simultaneous FM and satellite/cable TV. I'll have to experiment with how much dipole antenna I need in the camping areas we frequent. The rooftop antenna with the booster does pull in distant signals. Then again, with Directv, I've got XM radio, so the FM is not so important now.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #15
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bill,

I was happy to see the FM antenna that came with the Sony we bought. It had a slip-on F-Connector to mate with the 75 Ohm cable connection on the system. But from there, it was simply a wire. So I was able to dangle it down behind the TV's compartment, along the Monty's outside wall. Best thing, next to a real external car-type antenna. Or that powered antenna Rich now has.

When you loosen that TV, make sure you lift it, rather than drag it over the edge of the compartment. That'll save you marring the oak veneer. Mine now was scrapes that can't be hidden by the TV any more.

If I listened more to radio, I'd probably have much more to say on the matter. (Saved y'all from having to wade through more of my usual verbose posts!)

Maybe someday we can find ourselves worthy of 3400’s.

Steve
Old 06-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now you tell me about watching for the scrapes..Oh well can't see them.Everything is back together and works well.We are getting good FM reception with the Radio shack powered external antenna from stations more than 30 miles away. That's it for now..when all this stuff breaks we will do some super upgrading .Oh..Can not believe they put that huge clunker of a TV in the main room.It is a Zenith and they are great Tv's we have one here in the house that is several years old and going Strong same with the bedroom Tv a Toshiba have one of those in the house also. good Tv..However if you had a similar size flat screen tv in both places you could increase your GVWR by at least 10 casaes of beer.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
TEN CASES OF BEER???

I better do some shopping on line to find a flat screen!

I learned about the scrapes a while back, but still managed to increase the damage for all the times I've had that TV in and out. I only just recently figured out how the TV will simply rotate in place, to connect more cables if need be, or afford space to push the cables up through the top of the cabinet to the AV equipment.

I dunno what it is with these particular Toshibas, but that AV1 input seems weak. I'm hoping the Component Video input doesn't die while we're finally playing a few more DVDs, too.

I like most any TV that has multiple inputs. I hang so many things onto the TV, and want audio out, as well. I don't even miss my big Sony flat screen that we sold when leaving Alaska!

Now THAT was one heavy TV....

I'll keep that antenna thing in mind, should I ever lose interest in watching the tube. Even between seasons, DirecTV has the other channels that start new seasons, now.

Steve
Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Now you tell me about watching for the scrapes..Oh well can't see them.Everything is back together and works well.We are getting good FM reception with the Radio shack powered external antenna from stations more than 30 miles away. That's it for now..when all this stuff breaks we will do some super upgrading .Oh..Can not believe they put that huge clunker of a TV in the main room.It is a Zenith and they are great Tv's we have one here in the house that is several years old and going Strong same with the bedroom Tv a Toshiba have one of those in the house also. good Tv..However if you had a similar size flat screen tv in both places you could increase your GVWR by at least 10 casaes of beer.
Rich, you are definitely my inspiration for comedy!!!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do notice a small problem when on Sat.The picture quality on both sets is not as good as the picture quality in the house.I mean it is not bad just a bit grainy as compared with the house picture..I ran the RG-6 direct to a spare TV in the garage and the picture was perfect there is something going on in the camper cable run. I have tightened and inspected all the cable I can see with no improvement..Probably a improperly installed connector somewhere.. It never ends....But it is
challenging.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

Because of others reporting reception problems of this kind, even on cable or antenna, take a look at the connectors on the amp in the bedroom.

There have been loose connectors on that a few times, according to the fixes reported previously.

Good Luck!
Steve