Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Where to wash coach while on road?

If your lot is small and cannot accommodate the Montana (me). Or you HOA will give you static for parking it in the street in front of your house and washing it (me). Or if you are on the road for a couple of months and the campground does not allowed washing (could be me). Is your only option to take it to a RV dealer for a wash? How do you guys handle this. I'm a true DIYer and kills me not to do stuff like this myself and pay through the nose.

astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sometimes you can find a deal at a truck wash.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
We have used the Blue Beacon Truck wash many times, there coast to coast, and have a web site, it's the only way to go for us.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
We've used Blue Beacon also for our 5th wheel. Does a great job.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Blue Beacon does a good job but you should have them wash the truck and 5th wheel at the same time or the truck will be covered in soap and dirt. Cost at the Blue Beacon for a 38' 5th wheel and Truck is around $55-$60.

Most RV parks, resorts, have recommendations for mobile RV wash guys to come out and wash your rig, prices vary from where you are. Yuma, AZ has the best prices for washing and waxing a rig that we have found in our travels, so after Q we usually go down there to get it done. They wash and wax the rig and truck for around $140. You do need to shop around to get the best pricing. Sergio Mobile Wash (928-919-4368)in Yuma, AZ. has done an excellent job for us the last two years.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Anthony,

I don't have any place to wash mine either. I use Craftgate Waterless Wash & Wax. I work on a section at a time while we are camped, since that is the only time I have. I use Aquanil-X Concentrate 1 Gallon, which makes 10 gallons of Aquanil-X. I use distilled water when I mix it, and cost works out to $4.50 per 32oz bottle.

http://croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgat...ss-car-washing

Aquanil-X works great on all surfaces, ie, wood, glass, plastic, rubber window seal, counter tops, eye glasses, fiber glass, metal, paint, etc.

Best deal is to start with Value Pack, which Contains Full size bottles of Aquanil-X, Tire Shine, Multi Clean, Quick N Slick, Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, and 4 plush microfiber towels.

http://croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgat...ing-value-pack

I also have used Wash and Wax (uses 1 gallon of water in a bucket, no rising), when the truck was cover with mud.

http://croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgat...s/wash-and-wax

Here is a picture taken last weekend, I cleaned it with Aquanil-X last in early November. My Montana is stored on a gravel lot with no covering.

Here is my 12 year old truck also cleaned with Aquanil-X, also sits outside, no covering. The black is plastic, most waxes will turn that white, Croftgate does not.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have used the Blue Beacon Truck wash many times.They do a real good job at a reasonable. As others have said do the truck also when on the road.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Is the Blue Beacon something like a drive thru car wash? Just pull up, get in line, pull thru, and get washed? No appointment needed?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Another vote for Blue Beacon or similar wash facility.

Blue Beacon is not a automated wash. Typically about 4 guys with high pressure wands will clean the entire truck and trailer in about 15 minutes. They also will get the frame and in between the duels. In my case they also wash the Jeep too right there on the truck. While they can wash the top of the RV I ask them not too because of the rubber roof (high pressure wash make me nervous with the rubber). Just pull in line and wait your turn, does not take long. Wife and dog typically stay in the truck since we are in and out so quickly. Last time my wife even pointed to a pesky spot on the sun roof from inside the truck and they immediately took care of it.

To wash just the trailer by hand takes me about 4~6 hours. To me the truck wash is well worth the money. Especially if you drive thru some weather, it is nice to get everything all clean again in such a short period of time. I hate when the rig is dirty, it seems like I just walk by it and then poof I am dirty too.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Had our Monty and truck washed at the Blue Beacon, Tuscaloosa, AL a couple of months ago. Cost was $38.00 and they did a great job. Once inside, they start immediately and only takes about 15 minutes. Blue Beacons are located at many truck stops.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
captastjoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #12856
Just found a Blue Becon in the Portland/Vancouver area at Jubitz Truck Stop off I-5. Gotta take the 3400 there after sitting under a tree all winter.
captastjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
The thing that bothers me the most about truck washes is that they use pressure washers and want to get it done as quick as possible. So the pressure is at max. and the decals are getting blasted right along with it. Take high pressure on the edge of already questionable decals and it just doesn't seem like a good way to go. I see many people are doing it, so maybe it's just me.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We use Croftgate like John does and wouldn't do it any other way.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I found a DIY wash where the 5th wheel fit under the roof. It worked great! It cost us about $8. The one we found was called Oasis Self Serve Car Wash. They had a special bay that was designed for bigger rigs. We just couldn't do the roof. According to the owner you just have to google it in the area near you for self-serves and then call and ask if they have a larger bay. Check the height including the arm of the hose unit. It worked by putting a credit card in to a machine and a special hose turned on. You set it for rinse, soap, tire cleaner, spot free rinse, wax, etc. You were charged by the minute.

Our rig was so dirty from all the road grime from our trip from Billings, MT to Quartzsite that we couldn't even see windows on the trailer. They were just MUCK! The wash worked great!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote