Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
HD Suspension Difficulty Lubing

I have just had a shop install a heavy duty suspension kit (MorRyde) on my Monty. Before installation I checked to make sure that all the bolts would take grease. However now that they are installed I cannot get grease in through the zerts! Would it help to jack the frame up to take the weight off the suspension to get the grease in? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Absolutely...getting the weigh off should make it easier to get the grease in. Wondering if the wet bolts were installed with the holes horizontal to the frame? That orientation also makes it easier to get the grease in. If your grease holes are vertical the weight of the rig could impede the grease from flowing properly.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Bolts should have been installed with hole at 9 & 3 o'clock positions. If not, like mentioned above will have to take the wheight off.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
When the kit was installed I asked the shop to install the holes in the horizontal position but I'm not sure they did. I will jack the frame to relieve the pressure on the bolts and try it. I will have to gather a pile of blocks as the frame is 24in from the ground. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
If those tiny grease holes that exit the bolt are not chamfered, the sharp edges will pick up the bronze when pushed in and literally plug the hole, not allowing grease to extrude from the bolt to the bushing area. This happens very often if the fit is tight while pushing the wet bolt into place.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Jacking the trailer via the chassis did relieve the pressure on the bolts/bearings and allowed me to get grease in. Since the chassis is 24in from the ground I had to build a "jack tower" from 4X4 blocks. With an 8T bottle jack there was just enough lift to get the wheels almost off the ground which was enough to permit the grease to flow. I suspect that once the bearings wear a bit it will allow the grease to flow in more easily.