Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
Question Fifth wheel steps question

We have a 3255RL with manual steps leading to the door. The three foldout steps are adequate wheel on level ground. However, our second driveway at home where we park is on a hill. This causes a large step just to reach the first step of the RV. Does anyone know if we can purchase an add on step? We did consider building a small platform but it would only be safe on level ground. Any suggestions?

Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I made a little 8" rise box 24" long and 16" wide for what you're talking about several years ago. We've used it without issue and have always been able to make it sit solid in front of the existing steps. I finally bought a Flexco four stepper to replace the OEM 3 stepper on my current fiver. 4 bolts ... the old one was off ... 4 bolts ... the new one was on using a floor jack and a piece or two of wood.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We purchased an adjustable aluminum platform step from our dealer. It has four foldout legs and each leg is adjustable for making it a extra step when we need it. It is the width of the Monte's steps and about 8-9" wide. I store in in the "basement" on the curb side so it's right there if needed when we park at a campground that the site is not level. I'm heading out to where the Monte is stored tomorrow and I can give you the name when I get out there if you like!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Product...=rv+extra+step
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
Thank you, folks. I appreciate all the ideas. The brand names are always welcome!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I installed the glow steps on my 3455sa. This is a fantastic set of steps and will adapt to any situation (step side high or low, side to side and front to back) . I highly recommend them. They are pricey at around $500 but well made and worth the cost. Without a dought one of the best mods I have done.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
Hi everybody,
Thanks to everybody that sent suggestions. We opted for a four legged platform step. We bought it on Amazon. It is made by Camco model 43676. Thanks again for all the input.
Tod
Old 08-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Keystone replace original 3 step unit with a 4 step unit on our new purchase trailer in 2011. Then they realize the need for the 4 steps and changed over the future units being produced to the 4 step.
The 4 step unit was damaged last year when we had a blowout, the insurance paid to have the steps replaced. We wanted steps that had legs on the bottom step - so I went with the Glow Steps. We paid the cost of up grades. We like the glow steps but now since we had the Morryde Independent Suspension system install - the height of the frame went up 2 to 3 inches and now the steps are to short and do not set level- without a 2x4 under the legs. Talking toe Glow steps manufacturer now about adding an addition step to aid this.

We only use these steps when setting up or on one night stops - for longer stays we use the platform steps from: RV-co.com we love them.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Hey Joe, did you get the 3 or 4 step glow steps ? I have the 4 step and have not run into a situation that the steps were too short, even at a very unlevel site.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
I got the four step unit.

They have told me I can buy another step to add on.
I need to get the measurement (25 or 27) to get the price.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I installed the glow steps on my 3455sa. This is a fantastic set of steps and will adapt to any situation (step side high or low, side to side and front to back) . I highly recommend them. They are pricey at around $500 but well made and worth the cost. Without a dought one of the best mods I have done.

I replaced my OEM steps with the Glowstep Revolution as well. Excellent upgrade with zero stability issues.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
drillagent, I don't understand how your 4 step glow steps can possibly be to short needing another step. With my camper sitting in my level pole building with the level up lifting it up to take the weight of the suspension the door sill is 39" off the floor with the top step set at its highest level and the feet only one notch down. I could probably raise the camper up another 6" to 10" and still make the steps work. The bottom and top step would then be more of a rise than the middle steps but still very stable. I was at a nascar race last year and the nose of my unit was so high I (6 foot tall)could walk under the front overhang and the steps were very usable with no additional blocking needed.