Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
PURCHASING SITE IN RGV

Prices are sky rocketing for rental sites during the winter months in RGV, the last two years the same site has increased close to 100 dollars. Florida sites are being filled quickly and the smaller CG's are being bought up for condo construction. California property is the same way. The research I have done indicates that more and more Canadians and Baby Boomers are continuing to saturate the South during the winter months. Right now site's are going for $14,000 and higher in RGV - That is about $10,000 less than California and Florida. How many have pondered on the purchase of property in RGV, switch residence to TExas and reap the advantages. There are many who have purchased and then rent their site during the months they are not using it and have been very successful, along with the realestate values increasing. I am looking really hard at this as an investment. what's your thoughts..

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
If you can I don't see why not. I am thinking about purchasing some land near my favorite lake just to store my unit.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think you are a pretty smart cookie.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Very interesting, John. Now I have something else to ponder - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We felt the same way when we purchased our lot in Florida last year. It just felt right and we are very happy that we did. Now if you do the same thing in the RGV John, we can always trade for a month or so and still see other places. We already have friends in Yuma that want to trade for the season or even a month.

FYI, our lot increased $8,000 the day after we bought it. It is still going up. I don't think we have ever made $8000 in one day before. In our opinion, it is the best way to go. Again John note: This is our opinion and do not have any facts to base it on. It just feels right.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...grab it while you can my friend...they don't make any more land...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
If you can swing it, go for it! I have been looking myself in the Palm Springs, CA area, as well as AZ and FL. I am planning on using them strictly for investments. Rent them out for six months a year during the winter, plus the appreciation of land value that Helen mentioned alone would be worth it. Lots to think about...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
This past winter was our first trip to RGV. It was also the coldest that most longtimers could remember. I know some of the parks are being bought up for development. That puts a lot of pressure on the remaining parks.We looked at some park models and also to purchase a site for the 5vr. I really don't know if the building frenzy will keep sucking up the land . I noticed an awful lot of vacant homes in some areas old and new. When we go down this winter we will take a little more time looking into buying our own site. We had to put a deposit on our site for this winter because people were looking to rent it as soon as we pulled off.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
What is RGV?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Rio Grande Valley. South Texas.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
John: I would suggest you purchase rather than rent. I just got home from the NE Rally and will send you a PM to answer yours.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We spent two winter in the RGV in Mission Tx. Yes this past winter was very unusual to say the least. Last winter I never had to put on long legged pants. I prefer short legged pants, but this winter was different. So we left on 1 Jan and headed to Arizona and would believe our water hose froze????? We recomend the Green Gate in Mission. Its in the Western part of the valley. Fresh grapefruit every morning, just pull it from the tree. But its a 55 + park, but its one of the best kept park there. We considered buying there but during the summer months its hard to rent out until the winter. And if you don't reserve a spot you probably want get a spot there from Dec thru April. Just East of there they are in the process of building and RV/Homes area but will be kinda pricey. Go to the RGV sites are cheaper than say Fla. Good Luck... GBY..

P.S. Hi Bill and Ann you guys also have a nice site, don't know the prices there.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
This is the one Delaine and Lindy is talking about. http://retamavillage.com/

2000 sq ft cement pads, 12x20 storage building with stubbed in utilities, underground utilities including cable TV/internet, city sewer system, [some of the parks are on septic systems], gated, 55+, landscaped, city of Mission curbed streets and lights, nice clubhouse being built, etc.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
WE BE TEXANS NOW.... Just purchased a great RV Site in GreenGate Grove, Mission, TExas. Bill and Linda Collier told us about the Park while we were at the BRANSON MISSOURI Get Togeather this last May. It's an older established community of 424 site's includes home's, park models and RV sites. wwwgreengategrove.org it has rec hall - pool -spa and other activities but not as extensive as Llano Grande or Bentsen Palm, but their maintenance fee's per month are only 52 dollars. I can live with that. When I inquired there were a few site's up for sale, if anyone is interested the site's are reasonable compared to most down there or in Florida or California. Yes I agree, we could even swap site's with a fellow member should we want to look at a different park of the county. Heck of an Idea. NOW I CAN SAY YOU'ALL WHERE A COWBOY HAT AND HAVE A BIG BELT BUCKELL ha ha ha See everyone in BRANSON MAY 08 we'll keep a light on for you!!!!!!!!!!! Later John
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,

Congrats on the purchase of your new site! I bet you must be excited. I have been looking at a few as well, but my problem is most of the parks I want to buy in are 55+. Guess I will just have to keep looking...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #16
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Dave, That is to bad. Parents that just turned their children loose unsupervised Friday evening at the Camp Ground and gathered them up Sunday afternoon caused that. We just started to have that Problem while in Branson for the Get Togeather, but OZZ and I nipped it in the bud so to speak before it got really bad. Had two campers show up with about 7 children and turned them loose. they were everywhere on everyone's site... And that is what causes the 55 rule. TO BAD for all the great parents out there. John
Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
most of the problems with tooooo many kids are the tent campers that come for the weekend and the kids check in at midnite and out in the am some time , don't care where they go as you are at the table and some kid comes up with a pop gun and says bang and then runs and laughs , its better sunday through thur to stay ,, its all over even in the koa's which say , it won;t happen here ,well it does so at midnite the dad starst looking for them but he is drunk anyway ,, so be it john we just had 2 bad experences in this
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Montana Sky, I completely understand your dilema. I have been looking for some nice winter property but all of the desireable sites I like are 55+ as well. What about the not quite old enough crowd looking for quiet winter retreats?
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #19
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Good for you, John. I know that you were talking about this for a while so hopefully we can stop by and you can greet us "Winter Texans" on our first RGV trip this winter.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #20
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Congrats John: Now Ann and I will know where to find you every year.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote