Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Skipperchic

M.O.C. #22539
Truck 3500 SRW vs DRW

Need your opinion:

We drive a Dodge Ram SB CC 3500 Diesel 4wd SRW

We want to purchase a 41' Montana

Our concerns are:.

Is our SRW ok or do we need to put a dually kit on it?

We see 50/50 on the highways pulling the 41' Rvs...SRW/DRW

Skipperchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Check the towing capacity of the SRW and make sure the new rig fits inside the specifications. Personal opinion, if you're not within the specs for both pin weight (GVWR) and tow capacity, you're asking for trouble on several fronts.

Beyond that, I love our DRW. Towing across NM in February in high winds was very stable. I don't think it would have been as pleasant in a SRW tow vehicle.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Depends on how you plan on using it. Full time? Loaded out to its GVWR? Then consider a dually especially if the math tells you need it. If you are only going to carry a 1000 lbs of gear for weekend trips or non full time RVing... you might be able to get away with the SRW. Converting a SRW to DRW? That's new one to me... certainly doable but it seems rather expensive when you can get it from the factory already configured and warranteed.

Having said all that, you'll get argument from both sides... let the SRW DRW war begin again...

We have a 3500 DRW and are looking at 3810/3811MS (40+ feet) I would not consider anything less than a dually.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If the loaded pin weight plus the weight of people, fuel, and “stuff” you carry in the truck exceeds the payload rating of the SRW then you NEED a DRW. If not, then it is a matter of do you want a DRW or SRW.

And don’t let anyone lie to you. A DRW is more of a pain as a daily driver.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
I have a 2018 F350 SRW long bed 6.7 Diesel. I pull a 40ft ,6 slideout 5er with no issues. New Super Duties have higher payload and towing capabilities. No issues with wind either.

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Pull the camper when you get it. If you like the way it handles and pulls and you feel safe, drive it. If not then decide what you wont to do. No need to spend a lot of time and money for nothing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
If your RAM has the puck system and you would go to a RAM dually if needed.

Then saddle up your Monty, and load her up and then hit the scales. Then decide if you need to go to a dually.

We went dually because we exceeded the GVWR of a 1T SRW.

The folks that come to the rally and weigh trucks and Monty's will tell you over 50% of the folks towing are overweight. (towing overweight).
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
You mentioned a “dually kit” no matter what it will not change the yellow sticker on the door post. That’s what you should be going by.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ok, here's the one thing everyone tends to miss. No matter what your truck says on the door you may not be able to buy tires to meet those specs. That's the reason we have a dually. The Weight always came in fine, but a sidewall buldge and a broken bead caused me to question what we were doing. Checked the wheel weight with what the tires said and got the dually.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Dick your correct! Tires (19.5)and bigger brakes are what sold me on an F 450
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Don't let anyone's opinion influence your decision. Let the numbers speak for it self. I have had both single and double wheel and have had strong cross winds with both and they both did very well. There is a difference in feeling safe and being safe.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #12
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

[B][/BI speak from lots of experience from both sides. I had a late model SRW diesel pulling a 35 foot Montana HC and it did just fine, was at the max and just a little over on payload with all the junk I carry even had a 37 gal. Aux. fuel tank that put it over payload when full but it pull steady enough for me after I put air bags on it. Ease of use after towing was a big plus and the wife would drive and give me a break once in a while. ( still can`t get her to pull the camper).
Then after the Hershey Rv show (RV shows can be dangerous to your wallet) I got a wild hair and went out and bought a new Rear Den Montana. It is much heavier and longer and after a couple of trips I did notice it was a little squirmy in high winds even with new tires. So after about 32 seconds of thought I went out and bought a 350 Dually and I must say it pulls much steadier and trucks passing and high winds do not push you around like before. More bed space, a much higher payload I`m at 5595 lbs at my trim level. The new trucks are much quieter inside. The motor Dieseling sound is almost gone. The wife says she feels much safer riding in the truck when towing.
The down side is a much harsher ride when unloaded and you really need to park in the satellite parking areas if you don`t want the plus size white head in her roller skate car clipping your rear fenders pulling into parking spaces. No drive thru`s or car washes. Maybe others will but my wife won`t drive it, young bucks in their jacked up diesel trucks with big tires want to race you, the others gun their engines at you at traffic lights, young females will smile at you more. The cost will be Mid 70`s and your insurance will go up. Some companies will classify it as commercial and then it really goes up. Some HOA`s will NOT let you park a Dually on the street. I had to push the back of my garage out 2` so it would fit in.
But all in all I would NOT pull the new 41` beasts with a SRW after trying it for a time.
]
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Somebody found how to set fonts. Sorry it is harder to read.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #14
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Dually all the way. bshgto described my experience perfectly. I'd rather have more than enough versus wishing I needed a upgrade.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
[B][/BI speak from lots of experience from both sides. I had a late model SRW diesel pulling a 35 foot Montana HC and it did just fine, was at the max and just a little over on payload with all the junk I carry even had a 37 gal. Aux. fuel tank that put it over payload when full but it pull steady enough for me after I put air bags on it. Ease of use after towing was a big plus and the wife would drive and give me a break once in a while. ( still can`t get her to pull the camper).
Then after the Hershey Rv show (RV shows can be dangerous to your wallet) I got a wild hair and went out and bought a new Rear Den Montana. It is much heavier and longer and after a couple of trips I did notice it was a little squirmy in high winds even with new tires. So after about 32 seconds of thought I went out and bought a 350 Dually and I must say it pulls much steadier and trucks passing and high winds do not push you around like before. More bed space, a much higher payload I`m at 5595 lbs at my trim level. The new trucks are much quieter inside. The motor Dieseling sound is almost gone. The wife says she feels much safer riding in the truck when towing.
The down side is a much harsher ride when unloaded and you really need to park in the satellite parking areas if you don`t want the plus size white head in her roller skate car clipping your rear fenders pulling into parking spaces. No drive thru`s or car washes. Maybe others will but my wife won`t drive it, young bucks in their jacked up diesel trucks with big tires want to race you, the others gun their engines at you at traffic lights, young females will smile at you more. The cost will be Mid 70`s and your insurance will go up. Some companies will classify it as commercial and then it really goes up. Some HOA`s will NOT let you park a Dually on the street. I had to push the back of my garage out 2` so it would fit in.
But all in all I would NOT pull the new 41` beasts with a SRW after trying it for a time.
]
This from a guy who has owned BOTH. That should speak volumes!!!! Until you have owned and towed with BOTH your not qualified to offer advice on this subject!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have pulled with both. Won’t go back to a SRW unless I stop towing.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Dually all the way. bshgto described my experience perfectly. I'd rather have more than enough versus wishing I needed a upgrade.
My thoughts exactly. Get a little more than you need just to be sure. That way you don't waste $50K or so on a truck that you don't feel comfortable with.

If you need a every daily driver buy a small car. Less miles on the high $$ tow vehicle, better fuel mileage, lower maintaince and you can park it right up at the front door of the gym you obviously need to visit if you can't walk the extra few feet from where you would have parked the dually....

This really is my favorite subject on here LOL
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #18
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
My thoughts exactly. Get a little more than you need just to be sure. That way you don't waste $50K or so on a truck that you don't feel comfortable with.

If you need a every daily driver buy a small car. Less miles on the high $$ tow vehicle, better fuel mileage, lower maintaince and you can park it right up at the front door of the gym you obviously need to visit if you can't walk the extra few feet from where you would have parked the dually....

This really is my favorite subject on here LOL
FOOLED ME
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #19
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
skip, after all the input above, you have the truck, use it. pull and enjoy the trailer. at some point you may be interested in getting another truck. don't lose any sleep over this issue.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #20
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
I pull the 3700LK that is 43' (measured it 4 x's) and we pulled it once with a 3500 CC SRW and never again. I had a duramax CC and the 3700LK put me over my payload before hooking up, I only had a 2350 payload and the monty's pin weight is over 2400 empty. Once we added passengers to the truck, hitch, I was over and I just didn't feel safe in it.

If you can just buy a DRW or get a liter fifth wheel. I've pulled with both a SRW and a DRW and with the Monty and their pin weight, the DRW is the way to go, and not only from a legal standpoint but from a stability standpoint as well. I use my DRW as a daily driver and the ride is no different then my SRW was. These Monty's will put you over your payload on a SRW, and for those that say "Just add airbags" are clueless and don't care about their safety or others. In most cases the DRW and the SRW are the same price.
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote