Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #21
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
We have had good luck with the Winegard Connet2 where it can go as a WiFi booster or a 4G booster. We had a good Verizon wireless plan and the Connect2 accepts SIM cards from ATT or Verizon. Their private plan, which is really expensive, is a private label ATT, at least it was about a year ago. You can leave it on while running down the road too.

Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #22
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Jeff - did you buy the 8800 or an older version? I ask as I'm in the market to buy as well but the 8800 only has a 2 out of 5 stars rating on the Verizon website?
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpylane View Post
lynwood if you don't mind what does you verizon run you a month
We have 4 lines unlimited everything. 2 smart phones, the jet pack and home phone connect. I think it’s about $170 a month. When we switched to unlimited everything the Verizon store told me and wrote it down the full price including tax would be $141. We have had the unlimited for only about 2 or 3 months. Yes I know unlimited doesn’t really mean unlimited but it’s close enough for us.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using the verizon jetpack for many years all over the country. We are currently using the Verizon Jetpack® 4G LTE MHS MiFi 7730L. We do not remember ever dropping a signal. We have been to a place or two were there was no signal for anyone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #25
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
Was just on the Verizon website looking at the Jet-Pack/MiFi's and they only offer 1 "New" model, the 8800L for $99, and then 2 other pre-owned models. Unfortunately the 8800L has a 2 star out of 5 star rating. The biggest complaint is that the signal constantly gets dropped. Curious as to what model you guys are using as you seem to be satisfied or better with their performance? I'm in the market for one within the next few weeks and would appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks!
hi,
I would recommend to get the older 7730L. its proven and flawless.
the reviews and feedback from 1 friend is not good at all.
verizon also has a new prepaid unlimited plan for $70 and after activating autopay its $65 only per month.
Its hard to find on their webpage. To get it I would recommend to call them.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #26
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Currently using my Verizon smartphone as a hotspot. Because 5G is currently being deployed, I wouldn't invest in anything with 4g technology as it will soon be outdated.

In our area (one of their first deployment areas), Verizon is offering home 5G setups for $50/month if you have a Verizon phone plan.

Plan on switching home internet (Comcast..$60/month) to VERIZON 5G when available. Then, when we go out, take 5G router with us. Home internet on the road. Of course, it will take time for 5G to be available everywhere, but they're working on it. Hoping that 5G router will downscale to 4G when 5 isn't available.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
5G will never be available anywhere except the large cities. The signal doesn’t carry very far and is easily blocked with a wall or even your hand. It requires many more towers. If you are waiting for 5G do a little research and I think you will quit waiting.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #28
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
Jeff - did you buy the 8800 or an older version? I ask as I'm in the market to buy as well but the 8800 only has a 2 out of 5 stars rating on the Verizon website?
I have the 6620L. it is okay with my testing at home so far. At 2 AM when I start work I have 3 bars and speeds of 27 down and 9 up. At 8 AM I have 0.5 down and 6 up. I went for the pay by the month unlimited plan that is subject to throttling. It may not work for me because they throttle me down a bit too much too soon.

The 6620L does not have an input for an external antenna. I may find an external antenna useful. Per PC Mag the 8800 has better reception, but only connects to 8 devices and shorter battery life. They felt it outperformed the 6620L

I may go back and see how much data I I have used and maybe will change plans and see if an 8800 is available. The better reception, the faster your speeds unless you are subject to throttling.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #29
RichLP
Established Member

M.O.C. #21932
Verizon has a prepaid plan, that's month to month, no contract with truly unlimited data for $70/month, $65 if you use auto pay.
You have to provide your own Verizon jetpack, and you CAN be "deprioritized" in areas of high congestion, and you can cancel at any time.
RichLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #30
rodw6rod
Established Member

M.O.C. #18043
We have Verizon service with 4 phones unlimited each month for 140. Also I have 2 Verizon Jetpacks that I use for amateur radio and for general internet purposes. It is $10 per month extra for each jetpack with unlimited but I can't imagine I could ever use 5 gb per month unless I was constantly streaming movies. My 13 year old granddaughter uses the streaming service a lot each month but has never used it enough to kick in the throttling of the service. One thing that I have found is that I use the internet a lot less when we're out with the 5th wheel. Generally, we're in places where its more fun to be than on the internet. Rod W6ROD
rodw6rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #31
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I am a remote engineer. So I gobble Gigs. I am finding I am getting throttled back a bit early in the morning. and throttled most of the day here at home. I may have to rethink things once we get to our destination.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #32
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
I just converted my old plan with Verizon to a new preferred customer plan that is $85.50 monthly for two phones and unlimited everything. My wife uses it for her I pad as she cannot connect to the WIFiat our seasonal campground. I don't think it is advertised as the customer service rep asked how I knew about it. No contract necessary but you do have to agree to paperless billing or there is a $5.00 per line charge. No brainer for us as in previous years we had to increase to 5 gigabytes at a cost of $140.00 for the summer months and then go back to 2 gigs for the winter. Not only did we get unlimited coverage for 12 months but saved $55.00 too. The only issue you may run into is the rep told me that it was available because of our long time with Verizon, over ten years by my estimate so I don't know what the actual time requirement of past use is. In any event it can't hurt to ask. With all the competition out there cell phone companies are falling all over themselves to keep and retain customers. We use Verizon all over the New England area and seldom find an area where there is no service. One last thing. I am a veteran and get the veteran's 5% discount so if you are not a veteran it will cost a few dollar more. Still inexpensive.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #33
MontgomeryTX-ROB

M.O.C. #23522
We choose the Furrion LTE WiFi Router that was pre-wired into the unit. WiFi Extender worked OK as intended. When we tried to activate the router portion, customer support could not see the IMEI certification (in LTE mode, it acts line cell phone for the data package, just no voice service). Furrion is sending a new unit. During trouble shooting with customer support, I inquired about WiFi calling & VOiP serive through the unit and their equipment does not support these features. Bummer. "Must have tech to travel"
MontgomeryTX-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #34
Bill M
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23206
Following, have same unit
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #35
grumpylane
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20516
i use my att plan 100 gig for 100 dollars and i've gone over many times but i am remote enigineer and all my tv comes from the internet too

2017 F350SD/4x4/DRW
Montana 356TBF
Cory
grumpylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #36
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
When at our winter base at our daughters we have Comcast at their house and I ran an underground ethernet wire to our rig and my own wifi router. We get 60Mbps there. When on the road I'm finding more CG's are providing wifi through third party outfits that charge seperately from your site bill. I have used it several times and have been able to stream tv with no problems and the cost has been very resonable. When that's not available I use the mobil hot spot on our verizon smart phone. Have to watch the data use though as I have 8 gigs on my plan. Won't go unlimited due to the cost. We have three lines of shared data.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #37
Lemmy

M.O.C. #24485
Information overload

We are new full timers and I am researching best wi fi options - have spent last hour watching YouTube videos on internet options - my eyes are crossing ‼️ Please Help 🙈 Currently using hotspot on Verizon and we have unlimited data but I know this does not include unlimited tethering. We would like to find another option and work from rv online. Would love to hear what others are doing that are not costing $150 a month - thanks 🙂
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #38
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
We are new full timers and I am researching best wi fi options - have spent last hour watching YouTube videos on internet options - my eyes are crossing ‼️ Please Help 🙈 Currently using hotspot on Verizon and we have unlimited data but I know this does not include unlimited tethering. We would like to find another option and work from rv online. Would love to hear what others are doing that are not costing $150 a month - thanks 🙂

Well the answer to this is it depends........
How much data do you need to use and what time of day do you need to use it?
Old 07-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #39
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
It seems that after all the input , Verizon, for most people, seems the best for coverage.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #40
Montajmahal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
It seems that after all the input , Verizon, for most people, seems the best for coverage.
I think I would agree to that. I have been with ATT for many years and they have steadily increased in coverage but it seems Verizon works in many places other carriers do not to date. I recently switched to Verizon 55 Plus and so far I’m ok with it for what we need, ie., it seems a bit slow at times when using the hotspot on our iPads but that only lasts for a few minutes at at time and otherwise loads pages very quickly. We don’t stream on the hotspot, just surf, check email, etc. When we do stream movies for instance I hook the phone directly to the tv and it works just fine. It all really depends on your needs though.
Montajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote