Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Seriously - No Disc Brakes

I had asked at the dealer if disc brakes might be an option with the 2018 Montana. On several occasions I was told that they are not. Recently I got a manual sent to me by Tracy Peffley of Owner Relations at Keystone Customer Service. On page 52 of the 4/1/2017 issue it says.......

Brakes, Electric
Keystone RVs are equipped with electric brakes or optional electric over hydraulic disc brakes. These brakes are
designed to work in conjunction with a properly installed brake controller which would be installed in the tow
vehicle. Please refer to the axle manufacturer instructions supplied with the RV for care & operation and/or
www.dexteraxle.com or www.lci1.com.
Breakaway Switch

It seems very odd to me that the flagship Luxury 5th wheel from Keystone does not come with them as an option. I was also told by John Thomas of Keystone Shoppers Konnection that the Montana cannot be had with disc brakes. Not even the Alpine shows them as an option. Seriously?

masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I think I remember at the rally we were at several years ago that if a customer really wanted the disk brakes and/or the IS, that they would have to complete the trailer as designed, then farm it out to have the modification done, typically at MorRyde. don't know if this is still the policy.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:59 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Disc can be easily self-installed for $1600 parts OR you can pay MorRyde about $3500 to install for you. I did my own on our previous 2012 Montana and will be doing the 2018 too. They are really worth it!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
We had an appointment at MORryde in Elkhart at end of November but had to reschedule for either late March or April. The full meal deal (IS and disc) is ~$6,500. I would have had to pay more that $20k more for a 5r if I had chosen one with the IS and disc as an option. There are not any trailer repair shops near us that will do the disc but Performance Trailer Braking in Norman, Ok (Titan) will come to you and Zanettis Trailer Repair in Weatherford, Tx (Kodiak) will do it. Neither will do the MORryde IS. I personally do not feel confident doing the disc myself on a 10 ton rv. Twenty five years ago, maybe.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When you go to the Moryde plant you'll see Grand Designs and others, all with no markings, sitting in their lot waiting to be converted. As far as I know, no manufacturer actually installs them in their factory so you can pay Keystone, and or the others, to haul the rig over and back and they will make you pay for the extra expense and the interruption in the build process or do it cheaper yourself.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
"I personally do not feel confident doing the disc myself on a 10 ton rv"
What brand of RV did you end up getting that weighed 20,000? I won't argue with your assessment of current skills to do a disk conversion, but it is extremely simple. The routing of the lines is the most time consuming part. Remove the wheels, remove 5 bolts, clip wires, and backing plates are off. 5 bolts and the caliper mounts are on. Pack bearings, install seals and wheels are back on. 2 bolts per wheel and calipers are on. Run lines, mount actuator, bleed system ... awesome braking is the result.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I ended up not going with the DRV that we were looking at that was 20k. It already had the IS and disc brakes. I could not talk the wife into spending the extra $20-30k. I did get her to agree to the $6,500 for the work at MORryde. So no not 10 tons. Closer to 8.5 tons. It's been 45+ years since I packed bearing, did brake jobs and worked on the '62 Thunderbird :=|
Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Hey WeBeFulltime & dieselguy, I've been doing a bunch of reading in all of the RV forums and brake upgrade vids. We were going to have MORryde do the disc & IS but Joy is still having Immunotherapy treatment. The long trip to MORryde would simply interfere. I'm now planning to take the bull by the horns and do the disc conversion at home. Save a few $$$ too
Kits and parts are readily available online with complete phone and video help. I have a nice clean place at home to do the work. I'm just a lot older now so will have to crawl around (or creep) to get the lines run. Thanks guys for the push.