Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
QKnot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24001
Clearance

So, a little background. My Montana High Country 330RL is the first 5th wheel I've owned. I'm using an Andresen Hitch behind a 2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SB. I have Air Lift airbags installed in the truck with an onboard compressor.

Today, I picked up my trailer from the storage yard. I measured the clearances. I'm a little concerned about the ones over my rear tailgate. I measure 7 inches at the axle with the Anderson on its lowest setting. My tailgate measures 5 1/2" on the drivers side and 6" on the passenger side with 5 lbs in the bag. When I inflate to 50 psi (basically restoring the ride height), my driver's side rear goes to 4 1/2" and my passenger side goes to about 5". Do you think this is enough clearance for traveling or should I set the Anderson to the next higher level and run a little nose high on the trailer? Or should I run with less air in the bags? Thanks in advance.

QKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Most people say you need a minimum of 6'' between the rv and truck. It looks like you are going to have to run a little high in the front to give you enough clearance. You don't want to hit a dip and make contact with the truck and rv. You are already at the bare minimum on the air-bags and at 5psi you are really getting no benefit from them. I think I would raise the air-bag to 10 psi and raise the hitch to the next level then measure. Good Luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Raise the hitch and remeasure.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #4
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Mine is a fist height between the rail and Fiver or about 4 inches. That works to almost 20° torque angle before you hit the rails. So unless your going off road it should not be an issue. I am surprised your using air bags on a 2016 3500 with that high country.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
First of all, with a HC, you do NOT need 50 psig in the air bags at a 2300#+/- pin weight. Try it first at 20 and raise the hitch to level things out. You just need to keep the rear springs off any overload leaf. We have a bit heavier pin weight HC 343RL and generally tow level with 20-30 psig max in the bags using a B&W hitch set at mid height adjustment. My truck is in the sig.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
QKnot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Mine is a fist height between the rail and Fiver or about 4 inches. That works to almost 20° torque angle before you hit the rails. So unless your going off road it should not be an issue. I am surprised your using air bags on a 2016 3500 with that high country.
The air bags were on the truck for my horse trailer. I occasionally haul a half clydesdale half quarter horse and he makes my lights point in the air. I have 3860 lbs of cargo so I know the suspension can handle it fine but I was tired of getting lights flashed at me. 50 lbs restores the original ride height for both the horse trailer and the Montana. However, I'll probably run with them deflated (they have an internal jounce bumper) during the day.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
QKnot is offline   Reply With Quote