Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Now we're BOTH retired!

Today was Glen's last day at work. The parties are over, the fiver is ready except for the 'frig stuff and we're leaving home in the morning (Saturday). We're either going to drive or float through Georgia to Savannah. On Monday we have reservations at Skidaway Island State Park. And we are sooooo looking forward to the freedom of not having to report to work. After Skidaway we'll go to Charleston and possibly to the Thurmond lake area. Glen doesn't want a schedule. We'll flash at ya....our lights, of course!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Congrats Judy and Glen

Safe travels, HAVE A BLAST! (You are going to several of my favorite places in the world, Charleston and Savannah.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Congradulations on the retirement. Have a great time and remember to SLEEP IN on Monday.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Congrats to both of you and happy trails.
Gotta go with Glen, this Glenn doesn't want any schedules either.
If you're still on the east coat by the beginning of May we just might run into you on our way north.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I fear we'll be missing you guys, Glenn and Lorraine, on the east coast but look forward to meeting you at the rally. We have to get home to continue preparing for our big trip to the rally via Alaska.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'll think of you on Monday when I go to work. Just have a little over a year and we'll be on the road also. Have fun and safe travels.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
How exciting!! You did it. May your adventures paint permanent portraits of precious moments. Ah, the stuff dreams are made of.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:33 AM   #8
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Congrats on the retirement and the change of lifestyle. So nice to be on vacation every day! Enjoy your travels, be safe, and perhaps our roads will cross as we enjoy our retirement along with you.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:24 AM   #9
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yea Judy & Glen,

We did it 4 years ago and....
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Congratulations, enjoy your home on wheels.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:11 AM   #11
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Congratulations on both retirement and how you're choosing to spend it. Shari & I will both retire from the City of Los Angeles in 1 year, 11 months, 19 days (who's counting!). We are so looking forward to hitting the road for more than 3-4 days at a time.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #12
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
dNow you will know how it is to wake in the morning with nothing to do & go to bed with it half done. Good luck & safe traveling.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Thanks, everyone, for the kind wishes. We're having a great time in Savannah and the weather has been beautiful.....until tomorrow. This retirement stuff is wearing us out! We've not walked so much or ridden our bikes this much in years. Well, we needed the exercise and Greta loves the walking. Thanks again! J.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations Glen and Judy! April 5 was my 3-yr anniversary of retirement. We did some hiking in the park at Skidaway and toured the campground. I think you'll like that place. As you know from the emails we spent two months in Savannah (Tybee Island) and loved the place. Have a great time!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Color me green…

Seriously, though, congratulations. It must be a liberating feeling. I know you will have a wonderful time. I still have 12 years before I reach 30 years teaching, but Marsha says I will have to do two more until she is eligible to retire—she does not want to have to get up in the morning while I can “laze” around the house. I don’t know about that…
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., there's a solution to your situation. I retired about 9 months before Vicki quit her job (she was too young to officially retire). You just rise when Marsha does, then as soon as she's off for work you can hit the hay again. Pretty simple. You do have to be very careful to make the bed, though, or you'll be discovered quickly.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #17
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Steve, we are enjoying Skidaway. Did the Savannah trolley tour and loved the squares and old houses. I looked at your pictures again and they become even more enjoyable after we've seen most of the places ourselves. This is a lovely state park with large sites. By the way, we stayed at Rivers End the first night....removed our TV antenna using one of their overhead wires. Live and learn.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ouch! Was your antenna up or down? I don't recall seeing low wires there but we weren't in all parts of the park, either. Since they have free cable there I assume your antenna was down? We were in site 89. JoyceH is or was in 88 recently.

We got a book at the Visitor Center showing driving and walking tours. We did the walking tours, all four of them, and really enjoyed them. Also the nightime walking ghost tour. River Road. Etc. Glad you're enjoying the area. It's not a real easy area to get around in, driving, but still a terrific city. Did you get to Wormsloe Plantation? The roadway is the one in "run, Forrest, run" in Forrest Gump. We were there on a weekend when they had re-enactments from colonial days and admission was free. Also, Ft. Pulaski is awesome. Also Old Fort Jackson. If you do Pulaski, be sure to walk around the outside and see the Civil War damage to the walls and the cannon shot/balls in the walls, etc. The Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum is pretty cool, too.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #19
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Well, Steve, I sure wish we'd known that they had free cable. Then our antenna wouldn't have been up! We were in site 151 which is one for short term visitors, I think. It was in the back of the trailers lined up along the street, behind the first group along the street as you turn the corner.

We've had a very low key visit to Savannah since Glen has just retired. We spent two days on the trolley tour and went on a riverboat dinner cruise, walked on the beach at Tybee and saw the lighthouse. Otherwise we just spent time riding our bikes and walking the dog. Nothing very eventful but it's been great to relax. It just means that we'll have to come back here again.

By the way, they even have free cable at the state park although it is limited.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glen and Judy, I know about where you were. We were on that front row next to the street, 3rd or 4th site after you turn the corner. I believe JoyceH is on that row now or just left there. Did the park also not tell you they have free wi-fi? They use a login and password so they'd have to tell you about it but it's free. And it works well.