Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Not quite full timing

When staying in one place during the winter, and you know it could snow and know it will freeze for days at a time how do you prepare your rig? Do you keep your grey tanks open all the time? Would you wrap the exposed pipes on the out side of the underbelly? Heat tape on the water hose plus wrapping? Pictures would help and all suggestions appreciated.

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
What No comments or help from anyone?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Here is what I do for freezing temperatures. I heat tape my fresh water hose. I leave my black water flush hose connected to the 5er but not the park supply. I only hook it up to flush the tank and then disconnect and make sure it is drained so that it does not freeze. I do not totally disconnect and store because the cold will make the hose very hard to work with if it is coiled. I leave the bathroom and galley tank valves open. I put a thermometer in the basement to make sure the temp stays above freezing. You should have a furnace duct venting there like I do. I use a electric fireplace or electric heater inside with the thermostat set at 65 degrees when I am there (55 degrees at night). I turn off the fireplace at night with the thermostat at 55 degrees to ensure that the furnace kicks on a couple of times during the night which makes sure some warm air goes into the basement. At night I close the door between the LR and BR and use an electric heater in the bedroom. With the fireplace off in the LR the temp is sure to drop and activate the thermostat. This is not perfect but it works for me. My low point drains are not protected so I make sure my fresh water tank is drained and the hot and cold drains have been insulated and covered.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have been known to bring in my water hose for those nights. As Mike above run the furnace for sure during the night to keep heat in basement. I leave the sewer drain in place and close the valves. The more water you have in your tanks, the less chance of freezing. I also have a heated hose I could use if continued freezing weather. The suggestion of moving further south is valid, and we do, but not practical for all.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Thank you for the tips every little bit helps, sometimes one doesnt think of everything so its nice to hear others opinions. again Thank you.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Head South. I know that is not very helpful but the Mountaineer is not really a 4 season rig despite the Keystone advertising claims. We found it got pretty cold inside in May when the temperature dropped to 10 deg outside (sorry that is 50F for those still living in the dark ages)

Cheers
Craig
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote