Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When things go terribly wrong

This is such a great lifestyle, this full timing, until things go terribly wrong. Last September things went terribly wrong for us when Dianna broke both bones in her leg, requiring surgery. We were in Toronto, Canada. In general, Medicare doesn't cover foreign travel. I flew her back to Houston and then had to return to Toronto to get the truck and pick up the RV in New York. A torrid 3 day trip with the RV got me back just in time for her surgery with 2 hours to spare. All this at my expense (some great folks came to our aide).

Today, I purchased coverage from Medical Air Services Association, MASA, should there be another time when things go terribly wrong. We realized that as we age, the chances that an accident or illness will occur increase exponentially. The coverage is world wide, and is primary, not secondary coverage. After last years interruption of our great adventure and for full timing, this coverage just made sense to us.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If you don't mind, Stiles, what were the annual/renewal costs?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We opted for the life time membership with a single premium of $3950. That covers both of us as long as we live and even includes any transportation of our remains to final disposition.

This event last year, under normal conditions, would have far exceeded that single premium. I used most of my frequent flyer miles, so that resource is gone. The coverage includes more than their main competition. Their main competition has an eight year plan for $4000, but do not offer a life time plan nor are they world wide in coverage. I am not trying to sell this, so check it out at www.medairservices.com for details of coverage.

They have a 5 year plan that is for about $3000. We surmised that the potential for need increases with age, if we die before the 5 years, it won't make any difference (no U-hauls behind hearses), but if we survive that time frame, we would be ahead the inflated cost of renewal.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Stiles! I will check it out.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Congratulations Stiles. Doesn't it feel good to know both of you are covered anywhere, no matter what?
We have several friends that have unfortunately availed themselves of MASA's services and they were top notch. One had a heart attack in AZ. After bypass surgery MASA took their rig back to Idaho. Would have flown them home but they didn't want to fly so she drove their car and MASA paid the gas.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, Charlie, it plugs one of those black holes no one likes to enter. I had the opportunity to talk to three people, here at the rally, that had used their service in the past. All were extremely complimentary of MASA. Tragedy will sooner or later visit all of us, guaranteed. It is pay more than you want now or pay a much, much more when it comes.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, My sister and bil joined MASA many years ago and have not had to use them yet, However, when they were visiting me in AZ this past spring my sister (72) fell from the top step of my 3400 and cracked 5 ribs. They had driven out from CA and were staying in a cabin at Thousand Trails. They alerted MASA and they were ready to respond when my bil decided to take her back to CA on his own. His and the Dr's choice. You can't believe how my bil felt knowing that it would be covered if need be. Even though they didn't use them this time he still felt better knowing he could have.

I have been to one of their briefings and I reported earlier how easy going the meeting was and the folks giving it were very low key. They presented the info, gave out a few handouts and went on their own. Told us what rig they were in if we wanted to talk. We have not joined yet but are seriously considering it. I guess my drawback is that we have no permanent home to go back to plus, we both are reitred military, I draw disability SS and wife is VA disabled also. Not totally sure we need it, but will go to the next available meeting again, not just for the free food either.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #8
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
You might check Good Sam and see how their plan compares bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we are also leaning toward MASA. We have our Federal Government provided BC/BS health insurance and I have medicare. In my case medicare is primary and BC/BS is secondary. I need to know the relationshiop between those insurances and MASA..... Which one would be primary???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
For the covered expenses by the MASA plan, MASA is primary. They process your claim without considering Medicare or any supplemental coverage.

I think if you look a the site, you will see that MASA coverage is related to travel when difficult times come, not treatment. So I don't see duplication between your health coverage and MASA.

Their mission is to get you to proper care in a proper place and get your rig and your family to support or bring your family to you should you not be able to be moved.

In our case, I needed to get Dianna back Toronto to Houston, where her Medicare would and did take over for treatment, and then get my rig back to our home site. MASA would have covered all the associated travel to make that happen. Those travel and towing costs were substantial.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bob, checking on a variety of carriers and comparing them is a great idea. I certainly recommend that. I compared Good Sam's plan, SkyMed, And MASA, In my opinion, MASA came out head and shoulders above the other two.

I went to each site and compared benefits, exclusions and costs. Your real coverage comes after they tell you what is not covered.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:24 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In our case we would also choose MASA over the nother two and Stiles your information is informative. I am concerned with how the other two interact with MASA.. Some phone calls will answer my questions.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Finally found someone who has actually used MASA. They are full timers, from Ohio, Parked right behind me in a Kountry Star 5th wheel. It is really strange.. I have talked to many folks who had MASA, but never used it and had no clue how it worked or what it covered. Anyhow this guy had a heart attack in Florida two years ago and after he and his wife finished telling me how MASA handled the incident our mind is made up..We will purchase MASA. There is a lot of miss information and "I heard it from my....." out there and one really needs to talk to someone who has had the experience. Turned out there was also another couple here who had used it and the story was the same...

Stiles..You indicated a 5 year plan for 3000.00//however the annual cost is 360.00 per year that will never increase That would be 1800.00 over 5 years??????? If I read the MASA fee and your post right your 3950 is 11 years of present dues. I doubt if we will be rv'ing in 11 years. What am I missing or reading wrong????
Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
This turns out to be an "opinion" thing. We researched them all about five years ago and felt that Sky Med was at the top of our list. We personally know two RVers who had Sky Med who needed to use it and were greatly satisfied. One used Sky Med to transport his wife home so she could die at home (home was where they had a lot in Congress, AZ). The other party was transported as the result of an accident. The aircraft option paid off for both parties.

So, we all make our own choices. We have no regrets. Cost is $435 per year and is going up. There never was any promise of the cost remaining steady.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Do the math. 9 X 435 = 3915 and as Orv said, the price is going up. SkyMed said as much in their presentation. If you survive the 9 years, you have to pay a premium the 10th year. The MASA premium of $3950 I stated is a one time fee for two for life. At 68, I may be traveling another 10+ years. If I were 78, I might make a different decision.

Rich, my memory may have failed me on the 5 year plan. You are correct on the Annual fee. If you think you won't need it beyond 11 years, then a five-year or annual plan may be best for you. I guess I am really optimistic about how long I may be at risk. In any case, with a life time membership, I don't have to worry about keeping it up.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK..We do not see RV,ing in out plans for more than another 5 years, maybe less. Couple of more years of travel then a nice place to winter.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We just got SkyMed after looking at MASA too. For us it seemed the best. The Good Sam one says you have to be over 100 miles from home--we do a lot of local area camping and one of our concerns was if you need a "life flight"--they aren't cheap and when you are in places in Nebraska they use the helicopter frequently. Sky Med and MASA both pay for ambulances from your home too. Our friends belong to FMCA and when he had a stroke in St. Louis it took her 10 days to get their rig home--after a million excuses they tried to use to NOT bring it home--one of the last ones was "we can't take it because it might need winterized". I think they use the same service that Good Sam does.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
We just purchased MASA since Gene has had some medical issues.

Our understanding of the differences between Lifetime and yearly is that Lifetime gives you international coverage and includes all ground ambulance services required to get to and from the MASA authorized air ambulance. It covers ALL ground transportation. Also, there is no 100 mile radius requirement. In addition, your coverage is good even if you are no longer traveling and need to be air-lifted or flown out of your home area.
And, it gives great peace of mind.
therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote