Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #41
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
You can disagree all you want but the FACT remains is the high gloss gel coat did yellow and it took 4 different rubbing compounds and a lot of man hours to buff it back to normal. That was BEFORE the twice yearly waxing it took to keep it up.

High gloss gel coat can and does yellow, just because you've never experienced it doesn't make it impossible!

Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #42
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
I think that dealer is nuts. I just ordered my new 3465SA with the high gloss and god its beautiful. I had it on my last Cardinal and never had a problem. If anything, it makes it so much easier to take care of. I insisted on having it added on my new Montana because I loved it on my Cardinal.
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I looked at it this way. The front and rear caps are fiberglass and not high gloss gelcoat. The bottom panels are not high gloss anything and 1200.00 or so was a high price to pay for what was High gloss although it does look better at least close up. We used the 1200.00 and the dual pane window option money to buy other options that were more useful to us like the slide toppers and the 2nd A/C. As far as ease of maint..don't know about that as we keep ours clean and it looks good after 2 years of hard use. IfThe the money was available to buy all the options I guess we would have got everything..but it wasn't and we didn't.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #44
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Quote:
quote:high gloss gel coat can and will yellow over time time unless you stay on top of it.
I am NOT calling you a liar. What I am disagreeing with is the highlighted absolute statement. I believe you experienced yellowing as you say. However, many of us have not. So "can and will" could possibly be replaced with "may" or "might".

I am curious as to cause of your yellowing. Is it the nature of the GelCoat itself or a function of the wax used? It seems the latter would cause the need for extensive buffing. It seems to me that if it were the nature of the GelCoat that the yellowing may not be reversible even with extensive buffing. I readily recognize that things that seem to me to be so may be wrong. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than that which is based in experience will come along and educate us both.

It is a shame that the written word does not reflect calm discussion as intended rather than harsh confrontation that was unintended. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #45
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Quote:
quote:high gloss gel coat can and will yellow over time time unless you stay on top of it.
I am NOT calling you a liar. What I am disagreeing with is the highlighted absolute statement. I believe you experienced yellowing as you say. However, many of us have not. So "can and will" could possibly be replaced with "may" or "might".

I am curious as to cause of your yellowing. Is it the nature of the GelCoat itself or a function of the wax used? It seems the latter would cause the need for extensive buffing. It seems to me that if it were the nature of the GelCoat that the yellowing may not be reversible even with extensive buffing. I readily recognize that things that seem to me to be so may be wrong. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than that which is based in experience will come along and educate us both.

It is a shame that the written word does not reflect calm discussion as intended rather than harsh confrontation that was unintended. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote