Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2005, 04:42 AM   #1
wildcard
Established Member

M.O.C. #98
Cleaning Rubber Seam strips

Looking for some information on cleaning the rubber seam strips. Ours have mold on them, want to clean but not sure what is or isnt safe. Appreciate any and all help

wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
When we bought our Monty from its previous owners, it came with a good supply of mold on the seams. I tried numerous approaches to it and settled on a kitchen scrubby pad with Soft Scrub, which worked, but it was maddeningly slow. I had about a third of the Monty completed when someone on the forum suggested that Brillo pads might work, so I switched to that, which cut the time more than half, but it still called for a healthy dose of elbow grease!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You mean "Mold-ing" is not supposed to have mold on it? Actually, Lynn & Ruth, this is very common. I've not yet found anything that works really well and then helps keep the mold from returning too quickly. I found black streak removers work but require a lot of scrubbing. But I think I'll try J.D.'s brillo pad approach unless someone posts a better method.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I finally found a product that I am quite happy with. It's called "Original Krud Cutter". I found it a Lowes. I spay it on the scrubby side of a kitchen sponge and it does a good job. My approach to this is to clean the molding before I plan my big wash day. I might do a section at a few mornings a week or whenever I'm in the mood. This way I have more patience with the task and it does not feel like such a big project.

I find doing all the detail cleaning before a the big wash day is my best approach to making this task easier on my time and patience.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:48 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys try a Clorox bleach pen. The newer ones have two different head, one small and one like a small brush. Put it on, clean, wipe, and rise quickly. It seems to work really well. So far no problems.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Try Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser sponges. I have fallen in love with these.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:07 AM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Parrothead,

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking at those and wondering if they are actually any good. What else do you use them for?

Native Tex,

I tried the bleach pin and it did not work for me. Maybe FL mold is tougher than TX mold.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I keep one of the Magic Eraser sponges at each sink in my home and RV. It really cleans them up nicely. They are great at cleaning up painted walls, especially when the grandchildren do an art project on them. They take the stains out of formica countertops faster than bleach and no smell.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I use them for almost everything. They clean the stove great. Had a nasty stain on the plastic toilet and the sponge took it right off and nothing else had worked. I haven't found anything yet that it hurts. Try it, you'll like it.
Happy trails...............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I will have to try one and see how it does..thanks for the tip.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
If y'all are talking about the strip in the metal channel around the end caps and down the sides, I used a pressure washer on our old 03 with auto wash soap, took the black right off. No muss, no fuss. In fact, I used the pressure washer to do the entire 5er, just have to be careful around the decals, stay back. We're planning on getting a small. 1300 psi Karcher brand, washer to keep in the front compartment for cleaning on the road. It's not too much larger than a hand vac.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I used Acetone to clean the mold on my unit.
Wipe on and wash off.
Just be very careful because it is highly flamable so no smoking.
Just ue a little on a cloth and after you finish use soap and water to wash the area.
You can get Acetone in the paint dept at Lowes or any hardware.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the brown sap droppings off the rubber roof. I have no black straks or spots but Ido have a good collection of brown sap marks from being parked under some oak trees here in Florida. Thanks

Wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:25 AM   #14
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Arg! The dreaded brown spots! I have found nothing that works other than bleach. Because it's a stain and it soaks into the rubber. I have dabbed on little bleach or used a bleach stick on the brown spots that sometimes end up on the rubber molding on the sides, but I have not gone so far as to use bleach on the roof.

I have been thinking of calling a professional RV Washer and asking them if it's possible to remove them and what method do they use. I don't want to or think it's wise to use bleach on the roof.

If you find something to remove them please don't hesitate in sharing your success. I will do the same.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:58 AM   #15
BlackLab
Established Member

M.O.C. #2305
wa4bmg

Get that 5'er on the road and you won't get them brown spots - helps keep the tires round too.
Sorry John, the mouse made me do it. LOL
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #16
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BlackLab

wa4bmg

Get that 5'er on the road and you won't get them brown spots - helps keep the tires round too.
Sorry John, the mouse made me do it. LOL
Boy you get all kinds of static from the neighbors. I probably get some kind of spots from the interstate. The way some people drive out there , I think I will take my chances with the oak trees.

See you this weekend.

John,Nancy and Baby
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote